Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long will I be off of work?

I took 4 weeks after my sleeve. I am a healthcare worker and have to lift patients. So the 10# lifting restriction kept me from returning to work. It was ok going back at 4 weeks but I am a quick healer. I just had gall bladder removed one week ago and am hoping I can get back in 4 weeks again.

Everything I read says approximately 2 to 5 weeks. I don’t do any heavy lifting at work but I’m definitely up and down all day. I’m just wondering what I should tell my boss. Is three weeks reasonable?

I did security and went back like 1week maybe 2 i had a umbilical mass and went back had surgery 4 months later doctor aloud to go right back to work i had tubes hanging for drainage but a heads up make sure to wear.your binder and it fits correctly i had a mans size that was to big they where out and they never gave the right size i stop wearing bad choice i was working at FedEx before and during all of covid last year as a package handler no help heavy furniture over load of boxes i hurt myself ive.told i have no stomach core muscle wear the binder and work on you stomach muscles i had to resign and having issues

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I returned to work after a week that is primarily desk and sitting. I should have waited longer and had severe mental fog and lethargy for a good 3 weeks post op. I could tolerate the pain ok (also had a hernia repair that was much more painful than the VSG) but the fog was very difficult to work through.

I took 4 weeks ....because I could (paid sick time). Could I have returned to work after a week, sure. (WFH due to Covid, desk job) but those early days its just a full time job to get fluids in. I'm thankful I had that month to get into a routine. Plus, not dealing with work stress helped in the healing process.

I had the sleeve bk in 2019. Took 2 weeks off but could have went bk after only one week. Everyone recovers differently and I was very fortunate to bounce back easily and had a smooth recovery. Wish you well!

I had the sleeve bk in 2019. Took 2 weeks off but could have went bk after only one week. Everyone recovers differently and I was very fortunate to bounce back easily and had a smooth recovery. Wish you well!

Along with needing the time due to lifting restrictions I enjoyed having the 4 weeks after sleeve surgery to get my new eating plan under control. I was on soft foods by the time I went back to work. If you can afford it, take the time.

I have a physical job and took four weeks.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, Pennykay said:

Everything I read says approximately 2 to 5 weeks. I don’t do any heavy lifting at work but I’m definitely up and down all day. I’m just wondering what I should tell my boss. Is three weeks reasonable?

I have a desk job with occasional up and down, I took 3 weeks off. I felt really good by the first week, but I gave myself extra time to get adjusted to the new diet. Also it did allow me time to rest and let my body recuperate. Afternoon naps were wonderful.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and took the rest of that week off and the following week. I could have returned to my desk job on the Monday following my surgery but the extra time was nice. I got into a great routine drinking Water, plus I used my extra time to do some house projects.

If anything good came from COVID it’s working from home. Are you able to take off a week or two and then work from home or work part time? I was totally fine after a couple of days. Of course I wasn’t allowed to lift anything but getting up and down didn’t bother me. I was just tired a lot. Took naps. I think I would ask if it’s okay to return sooner and start out part time if you feel up to it or if working from home is an option. I just realized your doing bypass. I did sleeve but I believe the recovery is the same for the most part.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Well I took fmla just to be ln the safe side. I got the gastric sleeve which in return led to a hernia repair. So I think I would have been out for lesser time. But because of the hernia repair I had pain. Therefore I was out of work a total of 3 weeks.

How are you still feeling? I cant believe simple tasks take alot out of you. I also am wondering about time off. Im guessing 4 weeks? Im having RNY on Sep 20, pls update.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

me too, same date, procedure, and going to submit FMLA for 4 weeks? But my surgeons office called today, they told me as of now elective overnight procedures are closed but each week, the office gets updates from the hospital and still need to do my final appt with my primary and surgeon. So im hoping!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app