Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin Care products to avoid plastic surgery after gastric bypass

TL;DR What skin care products and procedures should I use in the months after surgery to avoid having huge amounts of excess skin that may compel me to get plastic surgery?

I'm a large man who had Gastric Bypass Surgery 20 days ago. Everything is going better than I hoped, both in terms of weight loss and tolerating food.

That said, I use a mental picture of myself in a couple of years to motivate me, and that mental picture is incompatible with the images of people with massive excess skin that I have seen. I'd feel compelled to seek out plastic surgery in that case (and given my weight history and the amount I am losing, it would appear that I have a higher than average chance of ending up in that situation).

What products and procedures does this forum recommend to reduce the likelihood of having significant excess skin when my weight loss is complete?

I'm currently under the impression that in addition to the aggressive strength training that I already planed, I should use Retinol and Hyaluronic Acid Topically, aggressively exfoliate, and ingest collagen and Vitamin C and perhaps coq10. Are there significant changes I should make to this list or products that the forum has found to be effective?

Thanks!

Sorry to say, but no skin care product is going to keep you from hanging skin after massive weight loss. Genetics, amount of time spent overweight, and amount of weight to lose are all factors. If you are young, have good skin elasticity, and haven’t been overweight very long you may not need PS. If you’re older, have poor skin elasticity, were significantly overweight, or overweight for many years you will likely have loose skin.

I had my sleeve surgery at 49, was overweight for most of my adult life. After losing 140 lbs I had lots of loose skin. I had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift & augmentation, and arm lift in January. I’m planning on a thigh lift next year. I’m so glad I had these surgeries, but even if I hadn’t would still be glad to have lost all the weight.

My friend, after losing weight, also suffered from the problem of sagging skin. And unfortunately, the doctors assured that it would not be possible to get rid of a problem of such magnitude on their own. The loss of 60 kg did not go unnoticed for her: sagging skin all over her body, massive legs, and drooping breasts. Even though my friend has already done 360 surgery (surgery to remove excess skin in the torso and back area), she still has something to work on… She tells me that great things take time, and she will be pleased when all her surgeries are over. So far, he's not just taking care of his skin. By what means she does it, I do not know, but you can find more info about it in various sources.

Edited by RandyA

It's also possible to have loose skin and just accept it. You probably won't be able to tell with your clothes on that you have loose skin. I have a lot of loose skin on my thighs but you can't see it at all when I'm wearing pants. I still have more weight to loose, but I really don't think I'll do skin surgery.

I use jojoba oil. I also work out. That's it. 🤷🏽‍♂️