Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really uncomfortable hunger pangs; sick and empty feeling. Please help!

Hi everyone.

Thanks, if you're reading this, and thanks to any of you that can offer any kind of advice.

I am 6 weeks and 1 day post-surgery today. I had my surgery on 5 June 2021. I had the gastric sleeve. I've had loads of concerns since I came out of surgery, but recently, since about the beginning of week 5 (so for around two weeks now) I've been having some really uncomfortable feelings. Around an hour after I've eaten, no matter what time I eat or what food I actually eat, I have these gnawing hunger pangs in my stomach. The same kind of feeling I would get pre-surgery in the morning if it had been a long time since I ate. But I'm getting it really regularly. It's so disheartening. I wasn't expecting to feel any hunger at all, yet here I am feeling starving at regular intervals. I think it can't be real hunger, because it's only an hour or so after I eat. But of course, I'm also eating MUCH less, so maybe my stomach is emptying it all very quickly and I'm feeling hungry again really soon afterwards. The feelings don't disappear until I eat again a few hours later.

Do any of you have any ideas? Have any of you ever experienced this? I would appreciate any advice you can give.

I'm taking 20mg Omeperazole, and multi-vitamins.

Were you prescribed an esomeprazole? Because we eat such small portions, acid can build in our tummy & cause those spasm or cutting type pains which we often think are hunger. In Australia you can buy 10mg tablets over the counter but need a script for 20 or 40mg. (I’m prescribed 20mg Nexium.) Probably the same in the UK.

Some people take one every day for the first month or two. Others like me take them every day & always will (I’ve always over produced acid & had taken Nexium occasionally for years before surgery).

As time progresses you’ll discover that real hunger feels different to head hunger & to stomach acid hunger.

Congrats on your surgery.

I’m 7 weeks tomorrow. I’m having same with the hunger pains. It has become more prevalent the last couple weeks. When I mentioned it to the nurse, she implied it will improve…

I think right now I need to try and eat more vegetables, but I’m usually full after I have my Protein. I’m trying to get more Water in too.

Generally as long as I eat something (like a deli slice) it abates for awhile (or I just ignore it if I’m near a mealtime). I don’t think its acid type pain, it feels like hunger. I’m on 40 mg pantoprozale.

I’m just 6 days post-op, gastric sleeve. I didn’t expect to feel hungry either, but I do. The deep, growl oh my I’m dying it actual hurts kinda growl-lol. I read several articles describing the same symptoms for others, so now I feel better about it. I’ll just keep on keeping on💚

5475FA39-BA7E-436C-A35C-A64F81CAE0B1.jpeg

AA42E0C6-409E-4C00-B7B5-C9C51542A200.jpeg

I'm 21 weeks out post VSG and I had the same thing for the first 3ish months! It goes away over time, just make sure you are staying hydrated and hitting your Protein goals and try to power through. I suspect it was fade away over time like mine did! I know it's no fun though, it left me feeling like I had made a mistake for a couple of months!

Thanks @Allie Still …I really hope it fades with time. I’ll post in September with an update. I’m staying within my calorie target - so the hunger is not leading to eating more. I average 80-90g Protein per day.

When I spoke to my nurse at my 6 week she said it should go away over time.

I’m only 3 days post surgery but this was the most disheartening thing for me too. Horrible, bubbling hunger pangs. The way it was explained to me is that your sleeve is swollen and very narrow. Now imagine pouring liquid into a funnel. It’ll bubble down and displace gas. Those bubbles hurt and feel like your tummy is growling. Anyway, that’s what I’m hoping is true because it feels so horrible and is stopping me sleeping for more than an hour or so at a time.