Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Protein Liquids & Soup receives or ideas

Hi all

I Have Gastric Sleeve surgery booked for 4 Sept. Starting to prep in the hope that I can sail through the first few weeks without the added stress of trying to figure out what to have - id like to do some batch cooking so all I have to is defrost. I have young children, work full time + not much help so time won’t be on my side post op either.
Can anyone recommend any Soups I can make in the next few weeks and freeze & any dry store things to buy now. So far I have: sugar free syrups, skimmed powder, Protein Water. Will also pick up some sugar free ice lollies & jelly pots. I have some extante Meal Replacement shakes & soups ( need to check whether these are ok to use). Any other advice or tips to get ahead would be hugely appreciated. Also any other gastric sleeve blogs anyone is finding/found useful?

Overthinking it probably, just so excited yet nervous!

Xx

I was allowed cream Soup or vegetable soup with the vegetables puréed. I found those really the spot. I like mushroom soup, so I just strained out the mushrooms.

I was allowed cream Soups as well. So originally , I stocked up on a bunch of “sipping Bone broths” they had them in all different flavors like a chicken, rosemary and lemon , Chinese 5 spice or something like that. I also bought miso broth to switch it up a bit . I did end up getting tired of those and so I reached out to my nutritionist and tried to get a better idea on if it had to be Clear Liquids or as long as it’s liquid then it’s fine and threw out a few examples for approval . She pretty much said it’s fine , as long as it’s liquid and as long as you “LOSE WEIGHT” just like that in caps lol . From that point on, I puréed my own vegetable soups and lentil Soup , I bought different Tomato soups , a butternut squash and sweet potato soup. It was a game changer at that point so i would definitely find out more info as you get closer to see how strict the liquid diet for you will be .I know you mainly sound like you want soups to make at home but if interested here are a few other suggestions !
I bought sugar free popsicles the different colorful flavored ones lol AND the SF fudge pops! Those came in super handy when I was craving chocolate (which I NEVER do). I also got sugar free apple sauce , SF chocolate/vanilla puddings , SF Jello and oatmeal, non fat low sugar yogurt with honey and cinnamon . Of course , I bought all kind of Premier Protein shakes to test out my favorite flavors. I found these premeir Protein clear drinks , Quest (cookies N cream) Protein Shake soooo good!!! Then for Water alternatives because trust me, you WILL get tired of water when it’s the only thing you can drink… I bought a bunch of different flavored crystal light packets such as a peach mango green tea and lemon Iced tea and they even had a large packets for pitchers and I got that in strawberry watermelon . I hope this helps!!!

Soups are great & freeze well. I ate (drank) Soup every day plus a shake. I made pumpkin soup on Bone Broth (I didn’t enjoy the bone broth alone) & puréed & strained it very well. A friend made a big pot of chicken soup from scratch using a broken down chicken (you can use Maryland prices too). Threw in lots of vegetables. Let it simmer for ages. Stained serves for herself but served the rest of the soup with the meat & vegetables for her family. Wonton & ramen soups are good too & can feed both you (strained) & your children.

On 07/18/2021 at 23:30, blackpowder72 said:

Not much help with the Soup but I love the Unjury Protein Powder with milk. I found milk easy to drink the first couple weeks . I didn't really want any Soup for a week and half but did the Protein powder and beef broth. Just remember Protein protein protein.

How are you finding it? Over the side yet (if there is one?!). My pre op diet is milk and yoghurt so hoping I’ll be fine with that.

On 07/19/2021 at 02:46, Monique1123 said:

I was allowed cream Soups as well. So originally , I stocked up on a bunch of “sipping Bone broths” they had them in all different flavors like a chicken, rosemary and lemon , Chinese 5 spice or something like that. I also bought miso broth to switch it up a bit . I did end up getting tired of those and so I reached out to my nutritionist and tried to get a better idea on if it had to be Clear Liquids or as long as it’s liquid then it’s fine and threw out a few examples for approval . She pretty much said it’s fine , as long as it’s liquid and as long as you “LOSE WEIGHT” just like that in caps lol . From that point on, I puréed my own vegetable Soups and lentil Soup , I bought different Tomato soups , a butternut squash and sweet potato Soup. It was a game changer at that point so i would definitely find out more info as you get closer to see how strict the liquid diet for you will be .I know you mainly sound like you want soups to make at home but if interested here are a few other suggestions !

I bought sugar free popsicles the different colorful flavored ones lol AND the SF fudge pops! Those came in super handy when I was craving chocolate (which I NEVER do). I also got sugar free apple sauce , SF chocolate/vanilla puddings , SF Jello and oatmeal, non fat low sugar yogurt with honey and cinnamon . Of course , I bought all kind of Premier Protein shakes to test out my favorite flavors. I found these premeir Protein clear drinks , Quest (cookies N cream) Protein Shake soooo good!!! Then for Water alternatives because trust me, you WILL get tired of Water when it’s the only thing you can drink… I bought a bunch of different flavored crystal light packets such as a peach mango green tea and lemon Iced tea and they even had a large packets for pitchers and I got that in strawberry watermelon . I hope this helps!!!

Super helpful thanks. Am in the U.K. so can’t find a lot of the things you mention, but water flavourings will definitely help. How are you finding it all?

On 07/19/2021 at 03:36, Arabesque said:

Soups are great & freeze well. I ate (drank) Soup every day plus a shake. I made pumpkin Soup on Bone Broth (I didn’t enjoy the bone broth alone) & puréed & strained it very well. A friend made a big pot of chicken soup from scratch using a broken down chicken (you can use Maryland prices too). Threw in lots of vegetables. Let it simmer for ages. Stained serves for herself but served the rest of the soup with the meat & vegetables for her family. Wonton & ramen Soups are good too & can feed both you (strained) & your children.

This is a great tip, will take some getting used to cooking for a family of 4 without making different meals.

8 hours ago, Squidgy101 said:

This is a great tip, will take some getting used to cooking for a family of 4 without making different meals.

I don’t have a family to cook for but my same friend said it was a pain to cook two meals each night which was why she tried to cook meals she could eat part of. When she was at the soft food stage she would make things like spaghetti bolognese. Ate the bolognese meat sauce alone herself but served the rest with Pasta to her family. Froze extra serves of the meat sauce for herself for other meals so on nights she couldn’t eat what she cooked for the children, she’d just reheat a frozen meal. Easy.

Edited by Arabesque