Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Compression Machine

These work wonders when you’re not up walking. They feel great too. Does anyone else use something similar to keep circulation up?

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

I had the leg compression machine in the hospital for 3 days post-op. I was not given a choice. If I was in bed then nursing staff would attach them and turn them on. I wouldn't describe them as feeling great.

As I was larger than most morbidly obese patients my bed was rented especially for me presumably as punishment for my sinful ways from the loving hands of Satan himself. So, between the Satanic bed and the leg compression device I spent perhaps 6 actual hours in the bed. The rest of the time was in the guest chair. Now, I'm not sure if the guest chair was actually almost comfortable or if it benefited from unfortunate comparison with Satan's bed, but whoever screwed up and put that chair in my room will live forever with great humanitarians of our time.

My Doc mentioned once that he intended to send a pair home with me, but by time my screaming and crying relented for a few moments he reconsidered. He indicated he didn't really need the suit he was wearing at the time anymore so reattaching the lapels would not be necessary. Thanks Doc.

Good luck.

Tek

I had them for the first 24 hours post surgery & that’s all. They were soothing but also restrictive - I hate sleeping on my back - frustrating when I wanted to go to the bathroom - had to call the nurse to get me out if them. After that I was expected to walk & sit out of bed a couple of times each day so had no need for it. I’m also a bit of a wriggler so move my legs, feet & ankles regularly. I had to wear the compression tube things for a full week after surgery.

If you suffer from a lot of leg swelling it may be beneficial once you get home from hospital until you’re more active than just able to go for short walks every day.

You had a chair that was almost comfortable @The Greater Fool? Who did you pay or sleep with to get that? I’ve spent a lot of time in hospitals with my parents over the years (weeks at a time) & I’ve yet to find a chair that was comfortable for more than 3 minutes. Some were so huge, my feet couldn’t reach the floor - stuck out in front of me - so I had to sit sideways legs over the arms or put my feet up on the bed frame.

They had them on me the whole time I was in the bed at the hospital. I just had my VSG surgery a few days ago. Prior to Ku surgery, I ordered my own to use at home. I have swollen legs and feet quite often so this helps

They put some compression sleeve things on my legs in the hospital but never plugged them in. Finally I just asked if I could take them off since I wasn’t using them. I was up waking just a couple hours after surgery though so I’m sure I didn’t really need them.