Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Disappointed 😞

Hi everyone. Yesterday marked my 4 week post op since my surgery date on June 17th. I had the sleeve. I have lost a total of 21 lbs since then. I felt good until I left my 4 week appt. yesterday & my surgeon said I didn't lose enough and he wanted to see me lose more. I've been down since then. I thought I was doing well. Does anybody know the average weight loss for 4 weeks?

Oh screw him lol. You have lost 21 lbs that's good. Everyone is different. To me it's a marathon not a sprint . You doing great. Just stick to your meal plan it will work. I'm 6 weeks and have lost 36 lbs. Everyone looses different. I lost 5 lbs one week and 3 lbs another and so on. I just keep telling myself that I'm eating 700 calories a day compared to 2500 or 3000 calories a day before the surgery.

Lol.. thank you! Yes I eat between 600-700 calories a day as well. It was really discouraging because I thought I was doing something wrong. I just want to have the best results to meet my goal weight.. but him saying that to me wasn't encouraging.. but thank you friend.

I lost 15 pounds the first month after my surgery. Here I am a year later with over 130 lost. Follow your plan and don’t let a thoughtless comment from your surgeon get you down. 😊😊

Wow! Thanks... that really gives me hope. Was it a slower weight loss for you the whole process?

6 minutes ago, KeKe82 said:

Wow! Thanks... that really gives me hope. Was it a slower weight loss for you the whole process?

Nope… I consistently lost 15 pounds a month for like the first 4-5 months. I thought I was going to be a slow loser since I “only” lost 15 that first month, but it just kept happening. Usually weight loss does slow after the first month or two, but if you stick with your plan you will keep losing and it adds up quick. We all lose at our own rates, so try not to compare yourself to others. 21 pounds the first month is awesome. You are doing great! Just keep on keeping on, and stick with your plan. 😊

Edited by WishMeSmaller

What an ass you’re surgeon is! They’re being incredibly unsupportive. How much weight was your surgeon expecting you to lose?

21lbs in 4 weeks is a great loss. Everyone loses at their own rate. Your gender, age, staring weight, activity level, metabolic rate, etc. all impact the rate at which you lose. That’s why comparisons with others are not the best way to judge your progress.

Have you ever lost that much weight in a month before? I bet you haven’t - I certainly had never lost at my rate ever before. Celebrate every pound you lose.

I agree with everyone else, 21lbs in 4 weeks is great! At my actual check in I had lost less than that (14lbs total) because I hit a stall 2 weeks after surgery that lasted almost 3 weeks. My surgeon was still supportive and happy for me. Hopefully yours gets the stick out his butt and is more supportive in the future. You're doing awesome. Celebrate that loss and don't let his bad attitude get you down.

there's no average. Most people seem to lose in the 15-25 range the first month, although I don't have any hardcore research to back that up - it's just what I've observed after spending the last seven years participating on this and other bariatric forums. So your loss is totally normal, and your surgeon is an idiot. I lost 16 lbs the first month, and I went on to lose over 200 lbs. Some people lose slower or faster than others depending on a lot of factors, some of which you have little to no control over (like genetics, age, gender, starting BMI, etc). You DO have control over your activity level and how closely you follow your program, so if you do well with those and your overall weight trend is down (even if slow), then you're fine.

P.S. that 15-25 range I mentioned - of course you'll always find people who fall on either side of that, but they're outliers. You are doing just fine!

Edited by catwoman7

Thank you guys! This is really encouraging me.

I think you are doing great as well. What an idiot your surgeon is. You know they are really good at what they do but most do NOT have any people skills whatsoever. Keep on doing what you are doing and when you reach your goal weight you can strut in there and show him he was wrong.

I'm 6 weeks out from surgery today, and since the date of my surgery I've lost 21lbs. 33 overall with the LRD. You're doing amazing if you've lost that in only 4 weeks!!! Don't let your surgeon make you feel down, 21lb in 4 weeks is incredible progress. I had a consultation with my surgeon at 3 weeks post-op, and I had lost 15lb at that time and he was really pleased with my progress. He also told me that he wouldn't have wanted me to lose much more than 15lb in those 3 weeks, and that it would slow down a lot in the following couple of weeks.

You're doing great!

Edited by NolaJay
Extra information!

I lost 15 pounds my first month. I don't know why your surgeon would be acting like 21 pounds in a month is disappointing. You're off to a good start!

Just looked at mine...23 the first month. 11 months later I am down just over a 100lbs. To hell with surgeons “expectations”. Work the plan and the plan works.

He’s an idiot! I didn’t have a 4 week appt but they did tell me at two weeks that everyone was all over the map in the first few weeks, they don’t even have benchmarks until 8 weeks in. At 8 weeks in, I’d lost 30 since surgery and they were very happy.