Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone 60yrs. or over and have all comorbidities

Hello! I have been wanting to get rid of my comorbidities as much as possible. Therefore; I chose to have sleeve surgery. I'm older now and afraid to have it . I feel it may be harder on me due to my age 67yrs old now. I don't want to have any amputations, bad heart and kidney failure like my parents and some of my siblings. I want to get healthier before these things start to happen to me. I've been having these issues a very long time now and blessed that I've avoided these things thus far. I just feel that I need to do this. I have been trying on my own for a long time and now I'm seriously needing this tool to jump start my new healthy life style that I want to do. I want to live a little longer and have a life.

I had surgery in my 50s (I'm now in my early 60s), but there are people on here who had it in their 60s. I didn't have any co-morbidities when I had it, but at almost 400 lbs, I knew that was just around the corner if I didn't get rid of that weight. I'd do it again in a heartbeat and only wish I'd have had it 20 years ago. (p.s. I had bypass, but sleeve is a good surgery, too)

Edited by catwoman7

Thanks for your input. I chose sleeve because I weigh 230lbs. I hope the reflux wont be an issue for me I had the band b4 reflux is why I had it taken out 5 yrs. ago, I've learned from my mistakes.

I'm 59 and having a bypass in 3 weeks. I just have HTN and apparently now I have sleep apnea, but there is a strong family history of diabetes and heart problems. I do have issues with reflux and Barrett's esophagus so that's why I'm getting the bypass.

I had bypass at 56 for all the reasons you listed. Good luck.

I was 67 when my surgery was done 6 weeks ago. I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I also have pronounced reflux problems. Things are already getting better. The surgery was a big leap, but I'm glad I did it.

I was 67 in July 2020 when I was sleeved. Blood pressure is normal now and my knees don’t hurt going up stairs. I have much more energy. Wish I had done it sooner!

4 hours ago, Elidh said:

I was 67 in July 2020 when I was sleeved. Blood pressure is normal now and my knees don’t hurt going up stairs. I have much more energy. Wish I had done it sooner!

Thanks Elidh. I'm getting so many negative vibes but I know I need to do something.

ebonymc, there’s no room for negativity. If someone tries to talk negative to me about my decision, I just don’t engage with them. They’re not worth my time and it’s none of their business!

I KNOW THAT THEY WILL. THEN START HATING WHEN I CONTINUE TO LOSE. I've heard it once before ( You need to stop losing now) or (you're getting too small. You don't want to look sickly do you?)that was when I was banded, but I was still slightly over 200lbs. I have never been under 200lbs my whole adult life. It will feel good when i do.

I am 77 years old and had sleeve surgery 6 weeks ago. Very few problems other than trying to get amount of food adjusted to avoid pain and throwing up! Have a 6 wek check tomorrow and am hoping for advice on those things. DON'T BE AFRAID to have the surgery if you are older! I do not regret it even one little bit! Looking forward to a better more active life!

Hello!

I haven't been on this board for a few months. Just saw your post. I'm 62 and it'll be 2 yrs in Nov that I had my sleeve. It has changed my life. I'm my old self again! Just wanted to encourage you....go to your surgical team/physician/nutritionist for ANY questions or concerns. I did/have followed my surgeons recommendations closely. I'll have to update my profile, but I'm down 105 lbs. Discontined Cpap, passed sleep study, D/C BP pill, Water pill and gout rx. Can move around with friends again, not short of breath any longer. Grateful for my surgical team. Good luck. Let us know if we can help you. Take care! Gloria