Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Painful when I drink 3 days post op

I can’t seem to drink more than 2 small sips every half hour or so , I feel like crap , it hurts when I even take a small sip
Is this normal ?

Yes, it's very common.There's a lot of swelling and inflammation in there right after surgery. It's basically a full-time job to get enough Water one sip at a time, to stay hydrated. The good news is, the swelling will go down and the pain will lessen and then fade away. I know it hurts, but keep taking tiny sips. Dehydration is the last thing you need right now. Hang in there, it gets better!

On 07/16/2021 at 15:05, Jaelzion said:

Yes, it's very common.There's a lot of swelling and inflammation in there right after surgery. It's basically a full-time job to get enough Water one sip at a time, to stay hydrated. The good news is, the swelling will go down and the pain will lessen and then fade away. I know it hurts, but keep taking tiny sips. Dehydration is the last thing you need right now. Hang in there, it gets better!

I am struggling to take a few sips of Water
I just had to take 10mls of my medication and just that was so hard to swallow , I hope I am not doing something wrong.

How long until this pain fades away

Mine lasted not even a week. It scared me so I called my dr, he said to drink room temperature liquids until it passed. I was finally able to drink ice cold Water at about 2 weeks with no issues.

Try warm liquids. I found them more soothing then cool or cold. I had a lot of swelling post surgery & consequently had lots of issues swallowing too but it did improve each day & by about day 5/6 I was ok & could even swallow my Multivitamins without gagging or experiencing discomfort.

I had abit of broth yesterday and that was fine , I had about 6 tablespoons full .

But when I try and drink my Powerade zero (room temp) or my Protein Shake it hurts really bad.

I am experiencing the same issue. Jello was the worst. I had a hernia repair and my team told me that I have pain due to that

On 07/17/2021 at 12:54, starladustangel said:

I am experiencing the same issue. Jello was the worst. I had a hernia repair and my team told me that I have pain due to that

How long post op are u?
I couldn’t even have a small spoonful of Jello without crying from the pain

On 07/17/2021 at 20:34, LeenBXL said:

Hi! I'm 5 days post-op and swallowing also hurts. It almost feels like it's my esophagus that's hurting. Yesterday was better, today the pain is a little bit worse. Ups and downs I guess...

Sent from my moto g(6) using BariatricPal mobile app

Yessss , I hope it stops hurting soon , its so depressing

Try to drink, different flavors and different temperatures. But also Just know that going back to hospital as an outpatient and getting fluids is also an option if you do get too dehydrated and it’s needed. I didn’t know that and I had a bit of unnecessary stress thinking I was going to wind up back IN the hospital paying hundreds of dollars more. My doctor got me an appointment and I was given two bags of fluids and by then I could drink a little more so I was good to go.

On 07/18/2021 at 01:26, ShoppGirl said:

Try to drink, different flavors and different temperatures. But also Just know that going back to hospital as an outpatient and getting fluids is also an option if you do get too dehydrated and it’s needed. I didn’t know that and I had a bit of unnecessary stress thinking I was going to wind up back IN the hospital paying hundreds of dollars more. My doctor got me an appointment and I was given two bags of fluids and by then I could drink a little more so I was good to go.

I think that may end up being what I will have to do , how long after surgery did u go back in for the iv ?

10 minutes ago, sal-wa said:

I think that may end up being what I will have to do , how long after surgery did u go back in for the iv ?

I think it was day three for me?? I think the nurse stopped my IV fluids a little early at the hospital though because I started seeing darker urine really shortly after I was released and some people are pumped so full of fluids on release that they even weigh more than when they went on so it will probably vary based on that.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:05 AM, Jaelzion said:

Very true, due to swelling I couldn’t drink until week 8. I was admitted to the hospital for a week and given a pic-line. It was painful, but I think my biggest problem was the thrash throwing off my taste. After week 8 I was able to drink Water but not artificial sweeteners. After week 16 I was able to tolerate artificial sweeteners.