Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about Lap Band surgery

Most doctors won't do lap band anymore because the results aren't very good - most people don't lose too much weight and many people have a lot of complications.

A lot of people end up having to have them removed and getting it revised to sleeve or bypass.

Is there a reason you really want lap band rather than sleeve or bypass?

I'd rethink the lapband. Very few surgeons place those anymore due to so many complications. That surgery has largely been replaced by the sleeve as the non-RNY option.

P.S.. I spotted some reviews for him on both Obesity Help and here on Bariatric Pal. People liked him - but those reviews were from 13 years ago. That was back when the lapband was a very popular surgery. It's largely fallen from favor and it's hard to find surgeons who even do them anymore. Again, I'd think long and hard about it. It looks like he's a really good surgeon, so it's not him - it's the lapband.

Agree with what others have said. Similarly, I went to a bariatric surgeon to see about getting a gastric balloon, and the surgeon said the balloon (and lap band) had poor long-term results and he recommended sleeve or RNY. (I got the sleeve). 😊

Edited by Elidh

On 7/14/2021 at 4:36 AM, Nods20 said:

Hi

I'm thinking about doing the lapband surgery with Dr Franco Favretti. Anybody had it done by him? Let me know your experience.

pm'd you

On 7/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, lizonaplane said:

Most doctors won't do lap band anymore because the results aren't very good - most people don't lose too much weight and many people have a lot of complications.

A lot of people end up having to have them removed and getting it revised to sleeve or bypass.

Is there a reason you really want lap band rather than sleeve or bypass?

My Doctor told me the same thing. I initially went in thinking that was my best option but soon realized it was not. Having a foreign body in there pretty much guarantees a second surgery at some point to remove it.

I had lapband surgery 11 years ago. After a thirty pound weight loss, I stopped losing and gained it back. Today I am exactly the same weight as I was when I had the surgery despite only being able to eat small meals. The lapband has been a complete disappointment in my case.

The more I research about this, the more and more I see Doctors that simply will not do the procedure at all. Doctors who learned and were using it extensively do not want to do it any longer and are guiding people to the Sleeve instead. That tells me a lot. The long term success is not good from what I am hearing.

I was banded back in 2008 and I had a great online support group of about 15 other people. Most of us kept in touch over the years. By the time I had my band removed in 2014 via emergency surgery, I was the last one on the group to have it removed. At least 12 other people who had been banded the same month with me in 2008 had had their bands either removed in schedule surgeries or in emergency surgeries like mine. It was not a good 6 years for any of us.

I am one week after lapband removal after 19 years. I had to have an Iron infusion as my iron was extremely low. Apparently iron deficiency and in many cases nutritional deficiency is a consequence of bariatric surgery (good to be aware of) as no one tells you this. I had very little weight loss on lapband surgery. I am so glad to be rid of it. Very sick of the intermittent choking and vomiting. Very annoying. I wish everyone all the very best on their decisions - I think I would rethink lapband surgery (unless it has changed dramatically in the last 19 years). Good luck.