Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 22 surgery date - Revision from VSG to RNY

It has been a long time since I posted on this forum. I was sleeved in October 2018 and immediately began suffering from reflux/GERD (which I did not have prior to sleeve). Fast-forward 2 1/2 years later, loads of PPI's, EGD's, barium swallows, scans, scopes and referrals, I was finally advised by a surgeon that my best option is to have revision of the sleeve to the bypass. I have a mid grade hiatal hernia and severe GERD. It's gratifying to finally get some answers and while I am looking forward to some relief, I am a bit anxious about the surgery.

I relocated from Houston to Dallas, TX in May. I consulted with a new bariatric surgeon on May 26th. Once the ball got rolling, everything went pretty quickly. After thoroughly reviewing my previous surgery and medical records along with additional testing, she determined that in addition to the hernia and GERD, my original pouch from the VSG wasn't as small as it should have been! That explains why I had such slow and minimal weight loss. I lost about 40lbs total, and have regained 20lbs back since COVID.

Has anyone had revision from VSG to RNY with hiatal hernia repair due to GERD? If so, has your GERD improved and how has the weight loss been?

10 hours ago, relaxrelaterelease said:

Has anyone had revision from VSG to RNY with hiatal hernia repair due to GERD? If so, has your GERD improved and how has the weight loss been?

I haven't, but I did want to wish you well with your next round of surgery!

I had GERD before my VSG surgery in 2014, and it only got worse over the next six years. Nothing helped, including PPI's. Fast forward to 2020. After a bunch of diagnostic tests to verify my GERD/Gastritis/Esophagitis, I had bypass surgery October 2020. I haven't had GERD since. I'm off all acid reflux medications. I've lost 56 lbs. since surgery and feel better than I felt in my 40's (I'm 64). I've got a ton of energy, walk 5 miles five days/week and do aquatic fitness classes 5 day/week. I'm loving my new, healthier self and so glad I made the decision to get the surgery. Yes, it is a life-long decision and I've forever changed how I can eat and process food, but so worth it!

Needless to say, I would recommend the revision to anyone with severe GERD.

1 hour ago, mae7365 said:

I had GERD before my VSG surgery in 2014, and it only got worse over the next six years. Nothing helped, including PPI's. Fast forward to 2020. After a bunch of diagnostic tests to verify my GERD/Gastritis/Esophagitis, I had bypass surgery October 2020. I haven't had GERD since. I'm off all acid reflux medications. I've lost 56 lbs. since surgery and feel better than I felt in my 40's (I'm 64). I've got a ton of energy, walk 5 miles five days/week and do aquatic fitness classes 5 day/week. I'm loving my new, healthier self and so glad I made the decision to get the surgery. Yes, it is a life-long decision and I've forever changed how I can eat and process food, but so worth it!

Needless to say, I would recommend the revision to anyone with severe GERD.

This was the best thing I've read today. I'll be having my revision from sleeve to bypass in a few weeks. I hope that I can have a similar story.

I haven't, but there are a lot of people who have -- hopefully more will chime in. Although it doesn't work every time, in the vast majority of cases, it does.

I have had both Gastric sleeve 10/25/2018 and then later converted to a Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass with a hiatal hernia repair on 10/07/2020 per acid reflux issues so bad that it was damaging my throat My highest weight was 270 and with the sleeve I only managed to get down to 170. With the bypass I am currently at 150lbs. I feel so much better! The bypass took care of all the reflux issues and I have no issues with eating anything. I have less issues with food now then I did with the sleeve and I feel so much healthier. I have no dumping issues and can drink with no problems. I felt more restrictions honestly with the sleeve as everything hurt more. The extra weight loss is just a bonus!

Also to add I had to pay for sleeve out of my pocket but the insurance covered my bypass because of the acid reflux issues and it was a “medical need”.

So I’m here at the hospital on my surgery Day! I’m an prepped and as soon as my surgeon comes in, I’ll then be taken to the OR for anesthesia and for surgery to begin. I can’t wait to be reflux free and pray this revision will be the key.

Wish me luck!

FYI: I only did the pre-op liquid diet for 7 days and lost 6lbs. For my records I am posting my weights:

HW- 250-252

10/18 VSG - 242

LW - 202

7/21 RNY - 218

I’m home, only stayed at hospital overnight. The surgery was long (4+ hours) due to scarring and adhesions from previous surgeries. Since the surgery started 2 hours late and went over 4 hours, I didn’t get on the floor until 8pm. The surgery went well, hiatal hernia was repaired, pouches size resized to 2 ounces and revision from sleeve to RNY completed.
I’ll be on full liquids for the next 2 weeks, which is good bc my throat is very sore and it’s hard to swallow right now (had multiple EGD’s during surgery).
I am so happy that I’ve had the revision surgery bc I haven’t had any episodes of GERD! Hopefully I will lose some weight as well.

I hope everyone is doing well and have great results!!

I have had both Gastric sleeve 10/25/2018 and then later converted to a Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass with a hiatal hernia repair on 10/07/2020 per acid reflux issues so bad that it was damaging my throat My highest weight was 270 and with the sleeve I only managed to get down to 170. With the bypass I am currently at 150lbs. I feel so much better! The bypass took care of all the reflux issues and I have no issues with eating anything. I have less issues with food now then I did with the sleeve and I feel so much healthier. I have no dumping issues and can drink with no problems. I felt more restrictions honestly with the sleeve as everything hurt more. The extra weight loss is just a bonus!
I have about the same problem you have!!Went in at 270 and only lose 70 pds with the sleeve .I'm doing my work on having the revision because of the GERD...it is bad, I didn't have any of this before the surgery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/1/2021 at 1:15 AM, lavette43 said:

I have about the same problem you have!!Went in at 270 and only lose 70 pds with the sleeve .I'm doing my work on having the revision because of the GERD...it is bad, I didn't have any of this before the surgery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh I feel your pain! I am so happy to report that I have not experienced any GERD at all since my surgery. Thank God.

I hope that you get approved for the surgery you rightfully deserve. Be well!

On 7/29/2021 at 12:15 AM, 2ndChance@Life said:

That’s awesome! I’m having my revision on 8/16…hoping to have the same success you’ve had! Keep us posted.

Congratulations! Only 2 weeks to go....you will do great!

On 8/4/2021 at 4:11 PM, relaxrelaterelease said:

Congratulations! Only 2 weeks to go....you will do great!

Thank you love, they postponed my surgery to 8-23, but it’s 2 weeks to go from here. Praying they don’t cancel it because of the COVID surge in LA County 🙏🏽