Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow weight loss

I'm on here in my head. Lol I started my journey at 281 and when I had surgery I weighed 258. In May I had to have surgery, a permanknee fusion on my left leg. Rod runs from my hip to my ankle. So needless to say exercise is still hard rt now. I have to use a cane to walk. So I'm down to 216 but thats only like 10lbs a month. I've lost down and alot of inches but I feel depressed. I see so many that was at my weight at surgery and are finally below 200.. This journey is more than a food tool. Its emotional. I try not to judge my weight loss by others weight loss but its so hard.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Well done on your weight loss so far. At the weight you are now you are unlikely to be losing more than 10lb a month. I think you are doing great, be kind to yourself. They do say that comparison is the thief of joy, and comparing your weight loss rate to others is doing you no favours at all. Chat to your doctor and/or dietician and agree on some realistic goals for weight loss based on for your current personal circumstances.

You are doing fine, no one loses at the same rate. We are so hard on ourselves.

Just think in two more months you will be below that 200 mark, start planning that celebration.

People at your weight don't lose a ton of weight per month - it's only people the size of those on my 600 lb life who are losing a ton of weight each month. Also, you lost a fair bit before surgery, and that can mean you lose a bit more slowly after surgery.

Additionally, given your other medical issues limiting exercise, give yourself some grace AND patience! Weight loss is mostly from food intake, but it can be a bit slower without exercise. You've accomplished a lot already!

Just follow your plan the best you can and take care of yourself physically and emotionally. You got this!

based on your numbers (it would be helpful if you filled out your profile so we can see how you are doing), but it looks like you're right on track. I started at 284, was 255ish at surgery and got below 200 about 4 months later. So you're tracking where I did and I'm very happy with my progress. Just keep it up and you'll be fine.

10 lbs a month is pretty normal for the average WLS patient after the first month or two.

10 pounds a month is nothing to sneeze at. If you maintain that rate, you'll be at goal in no time!

I just passed my one year anniversary and I am down to losing one pound or so A MONTH! Most weeks are plateaus anymore, but the overall trend is still losing, albeit slow. Hang in there!

10 pounds is actually really good so try not to get down on yourself. I've had near constant stalls along my journey while I've seen many people breeze their way to their goal with maybe 2 stalls. It gets frustrating and disheartening, so I fully understand how upsetting it is when you compare yourself to others. You're doing great and 10 pounds a month is nothing to be upset about. The first three months I lost in the double digits and then it was single digits for two months and then 10 pounds and then single digits through the rest of my journey. I recently got out of a 47 day stall (I lost 2 pounds on May 5th and then didn't lose anything until June 22nd where I lost two pounds, then lost another pound on July 6th and today July 13th I lost another 2 pounds) in which I was convinced the entire time that I'd hit maintenance and I was extremely sad that I hadn't met my goal weight, but my weight loss HAS still continued even if it moves at a crawl sometimes. Also, I don't exercise much at all due to my arthritis and two back injuries that make it next to impossible and yet, I'm only 1 pound from my goal weight! If I can get there, then I know you can to! So just try not to be so hard on yourself. You'll get there!

I just had my three month checkup and was told 10 pounds is the average for most people so it sounds like you're on track!

You are doing great and are right on track. As long as the scale is not moving upward and staying upward as you will have fluctuations and it's mostly staying or moving downward then you are on track and things are as they should be. I had numerous surgeries after my bariatric surgeries ( I had sleeve October 2018) that limited me from exercising and still managed to lose the weight. My biggest one was a foot surgery that kept me from walking as I always tried to at least walk 30 minutes minimum and I still lost or manage to not gain. The mental game is the hardest in this and this forum is the best place when you are feeling down and feeling beat as we are all here for you and you are not alone!

Edited by Coexister