Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help … am I eating too much???!!!

I keep reading about people only able to eat 2 tablespoons post sleeve…. I am almost 3 weeks post op, and on the purée phase. I am prepping in 4oz containers. I can eat 4oz of puréed Soup with no issues, the same with puréed cottage cheese, yogurt, Jello or pudding. I do get fuller after hummus or ricotta … but can usually do about 3oz of those with no issues. I do stop at the 4 oz even if i don’t feel full. I really dont want to over do it. I am not having nausea or pain at all and haven’t since day 1. I can also drink more than a sip or two at one time. If I drink too much I do get a pain from that but not bad. I think I am afraid the surgeon didn’t make my stomach small enough or I have already stretched it out if that is possible this early….. I just want to get this right. I am getting between 600 and 700 calories a day and on average 55 to 60 grams of Protein. Doing pretty good with the 40/40/20 split protein/fats/carbs. Any help, advice or re-assurance welcomed

Early on when I was on the Full liquid Stage and Puree stage I asked the same questions. But others here assured me I could get down that volume because it was very thin/liquidy foods like Soups and whatnot I was eating. They said once I moved on to other stages I would start feeling my restriction. Well, it was true. Come Soft foods I could definitely start to feel it depending on what I was eating and now that I'm on regular foods, same. Although again, some foods I can eat and feels like I could keep going and others (like mashed potatoes or refried beans) not so much. I guess it just depends on the food and how thick it is.

Sounds like what's going on with you is normal and similar to my situation (and I'm sure many others), IMO.

Soup I could do over 4 oz by end of week 2 easy. I’m 6 weeks post op. Depends on the food I’m eating as to much I can eat. Around 3 oz Protein. Vegetable or fruit is around 2oz.

lunch today I had 3 slices deli Turkey, 1 cheese stick, 1/4 blueberries and I was full!

I focus on protein first. So I get 90-100g per day, Calories at this stage are 700-800.

In week 3 I was 550-700 calories. 85-90 protein. That was puree stage for me. I think I ate the Ricotta Bake every day, and could not do more than 3oz.

3 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Early on when I was on the Full liquid Stage and Puree stage I asked the same questions. But others here assured me I could get down that volume because it was very thin/liquidy foods like Soups and whatnot I was eating. They said once I moved on to other stages I would start feeling my restriction. Well, it was true. Come Soft foods I could definitely start to feel it depending on what I was eating and now that I'm on regular foods, same. Although again, some foods I can eat and feels like I could keep going and others (like mashed potatoes or refried beans) not so much. I guess it just depends on the food and how thick it is.

Sounds like what's going on with you is normal and similar to my situation (and I'm sure many others), IMO.

This makes me feel so much better !!!!! Thank you

2 hours ago, MistySkye said:

Soup I could do over 4 oz by end of week 2 easy. I’m 6 weeks post op. Depends on the food I’m eating as to much I can eat. Around 3 oz Protein. Vegetable or fruit is around 2oz.

lunch today I had 3 slices deli Turkey, 1 cheese stick, 1/4 blueberries and I was full!

I focus on Protein first. So I get 90-100g per day, Calories at this stage are 700-800.

In week 3 I was 550-700 calories. 85-90 protein. That was puree stage for me. I think I ate the Ricotta Bake every day, and could not do more than 3oz.

Thank you!!!! I am so glad I found this forum! I appreciate your input

You are doing great!!!! Keep following doctors orders.

You will notice, like others have said, that food consistency does affect how you feel restriction. It is good that you are measuring things. I have found that I don't always feel the restriction--but I stop at half a cup of food regardless. I am on my 8th week from surgery. One time while preparing dinner (canned chicken with black Beans and guac) I ate a spoonfull of guac first--I couldn't finish dinner. The guac sort of sat there and didn't allow me to eat more. However, with my 1/2 cup rule, I am able to get my Protein in and lose weight.

You will find with time that you will get more confident and doubt less as you prepare and eat meals. Again, just keep following what your doctors and nutritionists say and you will be successful and you will take pride in that success!

as others have said, you're not likely to feel the restriction until you move to solid food. In the meantime, as long as you're not eating more than what your clinic told you to, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they said you can have up to 4 oz of something, then you're fine.

12 hours ago, Oeschrm said:

You are doing great!!!! Keep following doctors orders.

You will notice, like others have said, that food consistency does affect how you feel restriction. It is good that you are measuring things. I have found that I don't always feel the restriction--but I stop at half a cup of food regardless. I am on my 8th week from surgery. One time while preparing dinner (canned chicken with black Beans and guac) I ate a spoonfull of guac first--I couldn't finish dinner. The guac sort of sat there and didn't allow me to eat more. However, with my 1/2 cup rule, I am able to get my Protein in and lose weight.

You will find with time that you will get more confident and doubt less as you prepare and eat meals. Again, just keep following what your doctors and nutritionists say and you will be successful and you will take pride in that success!

❤️❤️. Thank you!! Sounds like you are doing great too