Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low start bmi …

My bmi is 31.6
Curious to know roughly how much weight other low start BMI’s have lost in the first couple of months after surgery

Are you even able to get gastric sleeve surgery with a BMI under 35? I didn't think it was possible.

1 hour ago, Aliana Wood said:

Are you even able to get gastric sleeve surgery with a BMI under 35? I didn't think it was possible.

I think some programs will take self-pay patients with BMI's under 35.

1 hour ago, Aliana Wood said:

My endocrinologist told me she's had even just overweight patients with severe/uncontrolled diabetes have the surgery. It's possible if there is a serious medical reason. Probably also if someone is self pay?

No I’m covered by insurance
Due to diabetes I can have it done at a lower bmi

On 07/18/2021 at 08:40, Edward12 said:

5 weeks post op down 40lbs since i started the preop diet. Starting bmi was 34.

That’s amazing , your doing great

Everyone loses at their own rate. Lots of factors besides just your starting weight will affect the rate at which you lose: age, gender, activity level, metabolic rate, etc. so comparisons with others isn’t the best way to judge or predict your rate of loss. You may lose faster than one person & way slower than someone else but you’re all being successful. If you think you’re not doing as well as someone else, you could derail your progress because you’ll think you’re failing.

If I compared myself to say Edward12 (congrats on your weight loss so far), I’d think I was failing - I only lost about half that amount in my first month even if I included my 2 & a half week pre op diet loss but my surgeon was very happy with me. I still reached my goal weight in 6 months & then exceeded it.

Unless, you’re losing little or nothing each week (ignore stalling of course) & you’re sticking to your plan you’re doing fine.

On 07/18/2021 at 13:13, Arabesque said:

Everyone loses at their own rate. Lots of factors besides just your starting weight will affect the rate at which you lose: age, gender, activity level, metabolic rate, etc. so comparisons with others isn’t the best way to judge or predict your rate of loss. You may lose faster than one person & way slower than someone else but you’re all being successful. If you think you’re not doing as well as someone else, you could derail your progress because you’ll think you’re failing.

If I compared myself to say Edward12 (congrats on your weight loss so far), I’d think I was failing - I only lost about half that amount in my first month even if I included my 2 & a half week pre op diet loss but my surgeon was very happy with me. I still reached my goal weight in 6 months & then exceeded it.

Unless, you’re losing little or nothing each week (ignore stalling of course) & you’re sticking to your plan you’re doing fine.

Yes i agree , but I guess curiosity gets the best of me sometimes lol
I’m just nervous I guess ,
I like to see what people have lost in there first month haha

About half of that weight was lost in the preop diet phase. The other half was lost after the surgery. I just completed week 5. Had a pretty good normal stall at 3 weeks that lasted about a week. I follow the diet strictly, and i walk 3 to 6 miles a day. I avoid carbs as much as i can. Lots and lots of Water. Just giving you some perspective to my numbers. Everyone is different. We are all losers, but the good kind. Whether it comes off fast or slow life is better 1 lb at a time.

I had a BMI of 35, i am about 4.5 months out and I have lost 45 pounds total (counting pre op). The weight loss now seems to have slowed to a crawl but it is still going down.