Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! I hope someone will answer me. I’m 1 week post op and I can’t eat or drink anything except Water. Anything I do I wanna vomit and I get extremely nauseous. I did vomit once. I’m supposed to start phase 2 sunday but I’m scared and I’m also tired of only drinking water. Everyone is eating around me and I’m very frustrated rn. Please help

Have you tried broths? I loved Swanson’s sipping bone broths. I threw up for a few days. Old blood mostly, which is normal with my surgery. The shakes make me sick and I end up throwing those up too. But the sipping broths were amazing! I also found my tummy likes warm drinks compared to cold drinks. Have you talked to your nutritionist?

When you do start to eat, eat slowly and with a baby spoon. Take your time. I take a bite, put my fork down, maybe take a walk around my living room/ kitchen and then take another bite. It was glorious when I could mash an avocado with fresh tuna. I had my first chicken salad (canned and made with Greek yogurt with dill) today. It was sooooo good! You got this!

I would contact your team. I couldn’t handle the sweet shakes after surgery, so for the first 2 weeks my dietician gave me the okay to focus on staying hydrated. There are also Protein waters available like protein2o and Gatorade makes one now.

I agree with the above. Staying hydrated is most important. I haven't experienced much nausea, except when I take Vitamins without drinking a bit of shake. Yes, I would ask your team. Good luck

My medical team told me the same thing, that the most important is to stay hydrated. I’m not in the US and Protein Shakes aren’t in my regimen only broths right now but even that made me sick. Thank you for all your answers and I hope this will get resolved shortly

I couldn't eat for my first two weeks after surgery. I lived on clear Protein Drinks (not shakes). They were good because 1) I could swallow them and keep them down, 2) they kept me hydrated and 3) they gave me Protein as well. It was week 3 when I started eating again (things like yogurt, pudding, etc.)

I lived on sugar-free popsicles after both of my surgeries. And I also found that room temperature fluids were easier on my insides. The most important thing is staying hydrated! I ended up dehydrated and in the hospital 2 weeks after my VSG. Your body can go a long time without food, but dehydration can cause serious risk to your health.

Focus on Water intact while you are healing and eventually you will feel better.

Thank you so much for your answers !!

I know I'm late to the post but I couldn't eat anything and drink very little Water for the first 3 weeks post-op. I had to go into the hospital 4 times to get IV fluids. Once I got through those 3 weeks, I slowly started incorporating purees and soft foods and I'm finally eating actual food. Some people are just more sensitive to the new restriction than others. I was one of those people but it gets better!

Which shakes are you using? It could be those. I’d recommend trying muscle milk or fairlife (either nutrition plan or core power). Post op that was all my stomach could tolerate for Protein drinks

I’m not drinking any shakes. My dietitian never gave me any. Also, I think I made a mistake, I was looking for flavored water and I just picked one ( in my country there’s not a lot of choice ) and I don’t think it’s a sugar free one. I drank a few bottles, how bad did I mess up????? How bad is it to have sugar 2 weeks post op ?? I feel so guilty

2 hours ago, lrania said:

I’m not drinking any shakes. My dietitian never gave me any. Also, I think I made a mistake, I was looking for flavored water and I just picked one ( in my country there’s not a lot of choice ) and I don’t think it’s a sugar free one. I drank a few bottles, how bad did I mess up????? How bad is it to have sugar 2 weeks post op ?? I feel so guilty

It sounds like your team is at fault here for not preparing you properly. What country are you in and what Water did you chose?

No they said I had to only have sugar free things but I messed up, I wanted to taste something else as all I’ve been drinking is Water. I don’t think Protein Shakes are essentials, they’re maybe just like an easier way to get through the liquid phase. Normally rn I’m supposed to have Soups yoghurt cottage cheese, but nothing sits in my stomach.

6 minutes ago, lrania said:

No they said I had to only have sugar free things but I messed up, I wanted to taste something else as all I’ve been drinking is Water. I don’t think Protein Shakes are essentials, they’re maybe just like an easier way to get through the liquid phase. Normally rn I’m supposed to have Soups yoghurt cottage cheese, but nothing sits in my stomach.

Protein drinks are a way to get the protein our body needs to live and function in during the liquid phase

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches