Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 2 post VSG & gas is killing me!

I just had my surgery yesterday 8 July and all went well. My surgical pain is next to zero but the gas!! Its really bad and mainly in my shoulders. I've walked, and sipped Water all day but its not disappearing. Any more tips?

Sent from my SM-A515F using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi there, I had the same thing. I had surgery 7/6 and today the pain in my shoulders and neck are almost gone. I walked around a lot and slept at an angle and it seemed to help. I’ve been taking two fast acting Tylenol every 6 hours and that seemed to help as well. Hoping it gets better for you soon!

Walk, walk, walk! Probably took a week before I felt it had totally cleared my system. Things get better!

Ask your dr if you can take gas-x. Walk and try sleeping on a recline.

Walking is key! Remember very slow, tiny sips of Water - your serving size is one pinky nail, so sip slowly. I am on day 17 and I still regularly use Gas-X.

Kind wishes for quick healing!

It took me at least a week to get rid of the gas pains, that hurt mostly in my left shoulder. I used a heating pad pretty much all day long until it was gone. They say ‘walk walk walk’, and I wouldn’t discourage it, but I feel like it didn’t help me much. It hurt when I would take a deep breath also. I did sleep in the recliner for the first 4 days at home. Until it was ‘comfortable enough’ to lay in the bed. Needless to say, I don’t feel like I slept much AT ALL those days in the recliner. I’m 18 days post op now, and all I have is incision pain when I move wrong. I have been walking an hour a day this past week. I hope you feel better soon, but just know it WILL get better!! 😊😊😊

The shoulder pain can be referred pain from your diaphragm. This can be particularly true if you had a hernia repaired.

Shoulder pain is not necessarily gas.

I use a glycerin suppository and a heating pad. Hold the suppository as long as possible and engage in gentle movement like walking or rocking apply heat over the area where the gas is. Trust me it works.

Edited by LisaMarrie

Yes it’s horrible! Sorry you are feeling like this! I second the posters above who suggested Gas-X, sleeping in a recliner, and a heating pad. I also continued pain meds. It does get better, hang in there!