Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plus sized spray tan???

I had a malignant melanoma about five years ago so I am not supposed to go into the sun anymore which when I was heavier I always wore long pants so it didn’t much matter that I was ghostly. As I am losing weight I am starting to wear shorts and my pasty white legs are hard to miss in south FLORIDA where everyone else is golden bronze. I am starting to look into spray tanning but I am just wondering if there are any things to consider or tips and tricks to doing this with a plus sized body? The salon near me has mystic tan booth if that makes a difference. I am pretty sure my larger bust is going to be my biggest challenge but are there others??

Edited by ShoppGirl

I'm not a huge fan of spray on tans. Maybe it's the way my skin cells shed, or maybe i don't exfoliate enough, or just have weird dry skin? I don't know. But when I get a spray on tan, I look Orange for a little while...then my skin sheds a little and I look weirdly speckled. I don't care for it. I also don't like the smell of the spray tan, particularly after a shower or swimming.

However...since I'm a white vampire, sometimes it's nice to have a little color.

I use Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Makeup (in Medium)

It's just makeup for your legs (arms, bust, whatever you need)....but it looks much more like a real tan to me. It sets up well and doesn't get on your clothes. (If I wear white, I do dust it with a little translucent powder, but i'm not sure it's necessary) You can swim in it for an hour or two.

It scubs off with warm Water, soap and a washcloth...but you do have to scrub a little.

I actually like wearing sleeveless again cause of this stuff. It really does look nice on legs.

Another cool thing about Leg makeup...it reduces the look of scars, freckles, stretchmarks, veins

Being opaque, I bet it's a decent sunscreen, too.

Edited by Creekimp13

I’m very pale and use self tanners. If you have a partner help out them on after exfoliating correctly, they work great. Bondi Sands light/medium gets me quite dark after two applications and lasts about 10 days. Make sure you put a heavy lotion on knees, elbows, or anywhere you have thicker skin first to prevent them darkening more. Also, use the applicator mitt that comes with this, it does make a difference in the application and doesn’t streak.

In your shoes, I would continue to wear pants and long sleeves in light weight fabrics or sun-guard fabrics. Rayon is very comfortable in hot weather.

I'm very pale and burn badly. I have been treated for actinic keratosis (pre-cancerous cells) and don't want to risk worse.

I never go out in the sun without a hat or clothing to block the sun. I NEVER sit in the sun and always seek shade. Even my swimwear is covering. I wear bicycle-shorts bottoms and 3/4 sleeve t-shirts in swimsuit material. I've even got capri length bottoms but haven't worn them.

SPF70 sunblock!

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 8.16.11 AM.png

26 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

In your shoes, I would continue to wear pants and long sleeves in light weight fabrics or sun-guard fabrics. Rayon is very comfortable in hot weather.

I'm very pale and burn badly. I have been treated for actinic keratosis (pre-cancerous cells) and don't want to risk worse.

I never go out in the sun without a hat or clothing to block the sun. I NEVER sit in the sun and always seek shade. Even my swimwear is covering. I wear bicycle-shorts bottoms and 3/4 sleeve t-shirts in swimsuit material. I've even got capri length bottoms but haven't worn them.

SPF70 sunblock!

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 8.16.11 AM.png

I appreciate your being ao safe in the sun. Both my husband and I are always safe now too. I am just looking for a bit of color with a fake spray on tan (make up) or a self tan tbat I can actually do to myself without it looking ridiculous.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:55 PM, Creekimp13 said:

I'm not a huge fan of spray on tans. Maybe it's the way my skin cells shed, or maybe i don't exfoliate enough, or just have weird dry skin? I don't know. But when I get a spray on tan, I look Orange for a little while...then my skin sheds a little and I look weirdly speckled. I don't care for it. I also don't like the smell of the spray tan, particularly after a shower or swimming.

However...since I'm a white vampire, sometimes it's nice to have a little color.

I use Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Makeup (in Medium)

It's just makeup for your legs (arms, bust, whatever you need)....but it looks much more like a real tan to me. It sets up well and doesn't get on your clothes. (If I wear white, I do dust it with a little translucent powder, but i'm not sure it's necessary) You can swim in it for an hour or two.

It scubs off with warm Water, soap and a washcloth...but you do have to scrub a little.

I actually like wearing sleeveless again cause of this stuff. It really does look nice on legs.

Another cool thing about Leg makeup...it reduces the look of scars, freckles, stretchmarks, veins

Being opaque, I bet it's a decent sunscreen, too.

I have thought about using that but I sweat a lot especially when I wear shorts and sit on vinyl and that’s when I would want to use it and I worry it would come off on the furniture.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, Soon2bFit21 said:

I’m very pale and use self tanners. If you have a partner help out them on after exfoliating correctly, they work great. Bondi Sands light/medium gets me quite dark after two applications and lasts about 10 days. Make sure you put a heavy lotion on knees, elbows, or anywhere you have thicker skin first to prevent them darkening more. Also, use the applicator mitt that comes with this, it does make a difference in the application and doesn’t streak.

I may try this and just ask my hubby to help. He will complain but what’s new. He uses self tanner himself so it’s not like he doesn’t know how to do it. Lol.

That's a good question. I've never had a spray tan. Like you, I've had melanoma and can't do tanning beds or be out in the real sun too much anymore. I've used Jergens Glow Lotion but it discolors the inside of my clothes (it washes out eventually) but I don't always get it even and when you sweat in the creases behind your knees it makes it come of and leave yellow streaks. I just don't worry about it anymore.

Update. I still don’t want to splurge on the professional spray tan and have tried the Jergens build a tan a couple times but didn’t get enough color (I used the fair to medium because I have fair skin). I finally bought the instant Version by Jergens in LIGHT bronze from Amazon (they carry it in Walmart just not mine apparently) and so far I love it. I was able to do it all myself but my back and my hubby did that part for me. It dries pretty quick and this morning I woke up to a light glow. It says if you want more color to do it again the next day which I may try just to see but I think the darker you get the more you will be able to see the darker Patches that are inevitable with fake tan. I have a pool party to go to next Saturday and I am hoping to perfect this by then. The one thing I regret I didn’t do was to apply lotion to my dry spots beforehand because they didn’t get dark with the build a tan so I thought I was good but my knees and ankles did get a bit blotchy. Hubby uses fake tan and says to just rub off with a wash cloth in shower and do a light second coat allover so I will try that tonight. Anyways for those afraid of being too dark or Orange this light bronze should be good option for you too.

Ooh and I used the build a tan version on my face but apply it like twice a day to make it darker. It’s still lighter than my body but not gleaning white so I am happy.

My sister in law uses the tanning lotion and she got out of the pool and it was like running off of her skin. Looked like running Water colors. I don't know the brand though.

Might want to do a test run before your pool party if you have access to a pool?

1 minute ago, kcuster83 said:

My sister in law uses the tanning lotion and she got out of the pool and it was like running off of her skin. Looked like running Water colors. I don't know the brand though.

Might want to do a test run before your pool party if you have access to a pool?

Aha. Good call. That would be quite embarrassing cause it’s at a public pool. I don’t have a pool but we do have chlorine so I could add a bit to a bucket of Water to sorta simulate.

Edited by ShoppGirl