Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating more, feeling hungry

Hi does anyone get a time when they are always hungry and can eat more. I don’t have periods anymore but there is 3 days, must be before i am meant to have my period where i am always hungry and crave carbs and chocolate and i can eat so much more than usual. Does anyone else get this ? Any advice ? I am currently waiting to be put on the correct HRT as i feel i am cracking up.

When you say that you don't have period anymore, what do you mean? Are you truly postmenopausal? (have not had a period in over a year) Average age of true menopause is about 51 (in the US, at least). I'm 49 and I'm all over the place skipping periods, then starting up again with a vengeance. This perimenopause thing is the pits. LOL.

I absolutely get crazy hungry and crave everything right before my period is due. And my weight will often tick up 3 pounds and make me nervous. But it'll come right down after I get my period because, weirdly, when I have my period my appetite plummets.

Evolutionary biologists believe this whole phenominon of binging before menstruating might have been a defense mechanism against predators smelling blood. Menstrual apes will stick around home and roam less, eat less....and will eat a lot beforehand so they don't have to forage as much. Keeps them downwind of the cheetahs maybe? Heck if I know, but it's an interesting theory as to why we get the muchies.

Keep in mind that estrogen is stored in fat...and a big weight loss will cause elevation in estrogen. So, the weight loss itself could be causing hormonal symptoms like you're describing. You might not need HRT, but it's not a bad idea to see what your doctor recommends.

But yep...you're not the only one who is a bottomless pit right before menstruation. (or what your body percieves is going to be menstruation)

Best wishes!

Hi yeah i havnt had a period since i was 34, i have neurosarcoidosis and i have it right next to my pituarity gland and hypothalamus so my hormones are non existence or too high they are all over the place. I tried HRT a few years ago but i got really bad Migraines from it but i need to try more different kinds as ifeel i am cracking up and the symptoms are driving me insane.

Yes, for sure. I'm 42 and on bcp but it's progesterone only and I've bled consistently for most of this year for whatever reason. However, when my "real" period is about to start, I can't stop eating, whether it's sugar-free Popsicles or sugar-free beef Jerky. My surgery was on July 9th 2020 so I'm at a year just about. All I can say is try to keep low calorie sugar-free options handy around that time. It sucks.

Edited by outofusernames
capitalization

1 hour ago, outofusernames said:

Yes, for sure. I'm 42 and on bcp but it's progesterone only and I've bled consistently for most of this year for whatever reason. However, when my "real" period is about to start, I can't stop eating, whether it's sugar-free Popsicles or sugar-free beef Jerky. My surgery was on July 9th 2020 so I'm at a year just about. All I can say is try to keep low calorie sugar-free options handy around that time. It sucks.

sure does suck, feels like imgoing through my cupboards like pacman lol. im going to ask to be put on a continous HRT so i dont have any bleeds dont think i could be dealing with that again after 6 years of having non, just need to stop these munchie days.

Thanks