Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any August 2021 Bypassers?

Just found this website and so thankful to have done so! I had my surgery on August 4th for gastric bypass. Going into day 5 post op and I have to say, I was so nervous I was going to be in agony for days after surgery but my pain never went over a 5.
only issue right now is some residual gas pain that has settled in my lower bowels and trying to sleep comfortably through the night. Other than that, so thankful for my experience so far!

Hi guys! I'm new here, found this on accident while doing some research for my surgery, which is scheduled for next Tuesday! The Protein Shakes are starting to make me sick. I absolutely HATE the taste. I've tried different brands and flavors. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

On 08/09/2021 at 12:03, Cindi0129 said:

Hi guys! I'm new here, found this on accident while doing some research for my surgery, which is scheduled for next Tuesday! The Protein Shakes are starting to make me sick. I absolutely HATE the taste. I've tried different brands and flavors. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi @Cindi129, I use Ripple or OWYN for Protein Shakes because I’m lactose intolerant. They can be found at Vitamin Shop or Amazon. It’s made with pea Protein. I like OWYN best and there’s 5 flavors. Best of luck!

21 hours ago, AmyR! said:

I am having my bypass on the 16th. Very excited! Half way through my pre-op diet and I am so hungry….

My surgery just got moved up to the 16th. I’m so excited! Thank goodness I started the liquid diet early. Whew!

6 hours ago, Cindi0129 said:

I got the okay to have some Protein broth instead when I got sick of the shakes. You might try checking with your doctor to see if that's works on your plan. It was nice for me to have something savory to mix it up a little.

On 8/8/2021 at 5:39 PM, cellbell said:

You're in a fantastic place! The surgery should help you maintain that loss AND lose more! If you're anything like me, losing 50 pounds is one thing, keeping it off forever is another thing altogether. I'm on Wednesday so I'm hoping to see you post about how well it went before I go in. 😉

Hi cellbell! I will say yesterday was tougher than I expected. It was a few hours late. I felt like I couldn’t take a good breath. sleep was in 15 minute increments Longest night ever! But I’m going home today so yay!! Catheter out. Waiting for a drain to come out. And I have to pee on my own. Lol. Drinking has been no issue. Good luck tomorrow!!!!

Thank you! I'm glad that yours went well even if not as easy as you hoped! Hang in there over the next couple of days. I'm sitting here staring at my bottles of magnesium citrate, a little afraid to start drinking them lol.

Update for my August revision:

I had my revision earlier this month and although it feels the same as VSG physically, it is different in that I am just not hungry at all. After 1 oz of unsweetened applesauce for dinner last night, I just didn't want another bite. Some people got that with their VSG, I never did. It's hard to eat if one has zero appetite. This week my average calories was 296. I have no idea what my goal is for this stage. My surgery Water weight gain is finally coming off then I can see where my weight is at but at 296 average a day, I know I lost quite a bit.

Luckily, so far, it's been a pretty easy recovery. I do not have any nausea, and have not vomited. I do have off and on diarrhea. I took an Equate equivalent of Imodium, that fixed it. I still have a stitch feeling on the left side though, maybe due to CO2 still in there. I drink with no problem but I still try to sip slowly because if I do drink fast, I just know I will get nauseated. I've slept better than ever because no Gerd. I have good energy due to good sleep. Of course, I'm always worried about future complications though since it is a more serious operation compared to my sleeve.

Edited by Tomo
added average calories for this past week

Anyone August 16? I’m looking for lots of friends to connect with through my journey for support

I am the 16th having bypass. I’m looking for friends to connect with for support along this journey

25 minutes ago, dachshundgirl said:

I am the 16th having bypass. I’m looking for friends to connect with for support along this journey

I’m the 16th with sleeve. How you doing on the pre-surgery liquid diet?

I had bypass on Aug 2nd. Doing pretty well. The hardest part is getting in Protein. I did fine with shakes before the surgery and now they make me want to throw up after the first drink. I’m using Protein Powder in Gatorade zero and that’s working OK. I had a few bites of instant mashed potatoes yesterday and it was like heaven. Lol

lol had mine on the 2nd as well... its hard for me to get Protein as well.. I never thought to put the powder in gatorade, I will try it! I cant eat mashed potatoes until the puree stage! I think that stage will be harder for me than the liquid stage.. I am looking forward to mashed potatoes tho lol. Counting the days, I start that phase on Monday!