Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1990 RNY revision at age 73

5 hours ago, Niloofar said:

So u had intestine bypass in rny? The won't bypass more intestine this time?

The RNY is a gastric bypass, with the rerouting of the duodenum and small intestine (the "roux" in Roux-en-Y). The intestinal portion does not need to be shortened during my revision, but the anastomosis (the opening from the pouch to the small intestine) will be made smaller, along with making the pouch smaller, The stomach will be detached and a large portion of the fundus (the top of the stomach) will be excised. This is a much more complex surgery than I expected, The surgeon will schedule six hours for the surgery, but may be done in about four. Fortunately, he is very experienced with RNY revisions,

Thanks Sunnyway! I will try again and screenshot your progress to her. I wish you only the best!

Update: My surgeon asked for an abdominal CT (I assume to see what mess, if any, my prior WLS surgeries caused), which has been completed. Because my last two EKGs had some irregularities and because I have a pacemaker, he also wanted a cardiology evaluation. The cardiologies wants me to have a chemical stress test and an updated echocardiogram. Office visited completed, and I have to go to the hospital 90 miles away for the tests, perhaps in the next week or so. I am very happy with how thorough the surgeon and cardiologist are being, in stark contrast with my prior WLS surgeons.

If the cardiologist approves the surgery, the paperwork will go to Medicare. When Medicare approves the revision (apparently a slam-dunk with my comorbidities), I will finally get a surgery date.

I've been stalled, going up and down the same 2-4 lbs for since early September, reinforcing why I need this surgery.

Also, I finally got a call-back from the local psychologist-dietitian on whose waiting list I've been on since July. I'll hopefully get an appointment shortly. I did have an evaluation by the clinic's psychiatrist and a tele-visit consultation with another psychologist (who didn't think I needed therapy), but this one is local and I hope can help me develop coping strategies when the cravings appear. They have been an issue for the past few months and will be again after the surgery honeymoon period ends. I know from experience that I am going to need help to avoid regaining.