Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1990 RNY revision at age 73

I had RNY in 1990. Back then RNY surgery involved stapling between pouch and stomach, not separation. It was open surgery and I was in the hospital for 7 days. I had no pre-op or post-op nutritional guidance. I was handed a 1-page low-cal diet and told not to throw up. Two follow visits post-surgery were to check the incision and I was then left to my own devices. I learned on my own to take Vitamin and mineral supplements; no one told me. I lost about 75 lbs from a high weight of 319, stopped losing after about six months, but kept the weight off for about five years before starting to gain it all back again.

For the past 20 years, I've yoyo-ed with countless diets and food plans but always return to that same high setpoint. I'm now 73 years old and am going to give it another shot. My knees and hips are shot, I've got a pacemaker, and I figure I'll die within a few years if I can't lose all this excess weight.

I first learned about revision surgery about a year ago, just before COVID hit. This spring I followed up with a hospital bariatric clinic about 2 hours from my home. I've been on a liver-reducing diet for three months. I had a barium swallow a couple of weeks ago that revealed that the staples had given way and there was a fistula between the pouch and stomach, which explains why I stopped losing weight from the RNY. I had an endoscopy today and had a conversation with the surgeon who told me that the leak occurred because of peristalsis of my stomach, not (as I thought) because I ruined it due to up-chucking too often. The new surgical methods are much improved and there is extensive pre-op and post-op guidance and follow-up.

I will have my psych evaluation in two weeks. I'm within 2 pounds of my prescribed pre-op diet, but don't have a surgery date yet for the revision.

I do not want to fail again, so I will probably seek therapy for food addiction even if it is not recommended during the psych evaluation.

I hope you are able to get the surgery and succeed! Good luck!

Wishing you all the best! Please continue to let us know about your journey. This group here is the best for advice and information along the way. We will pray for great results for you.

I had RNY in 1990. Back then RNY surgery involved stapling between pouch and stomach, not separation. It was open surgery and I was in the hospital for 7 days. I had no pre-op or post-op nutritional guidance. I was handed a 1-page low-cal diet and told not to throw up. Two follow visits post-surgery were to check the incision and I was then left to my own devices. I learned on my own to take Vitamin and mineral supplements; no one told me. I lost about 75 lbs from a high weight of 319, stopped losing after about six months, but kept the weight off for about five years before starting to gain it all back again.

For the past 20 years, I've yoyo-ed with countless diets and food plans but always return to that same high setpoint. I'm now 73 years old and am going to give it another shot. My knees and hips are shot, I've got a pacemaker, and I figure I'll die within a few years if I can't lose all this excess weight.

I first learned about revision surgery about a year ago, just before COVID hit. This spring I followed up with a hospital bariatric clinic about 2 hours from my home. I've been on a liver-reducing diet for three months. I had a barium swallow a couple of weeks ago that revealed that the staples had given way and there was a fistula between the pouch and stomach, which explains why I stopped losing weight from the RNY. I had an endoscopy today and had a conversation with the surgeon who told me that the leak occurred because of peristalsis of my stomach, not (as I thought) because I ruined it due to up-chucking too often. The new surgical methods are much improved and there is extensive pre-op and post-op guidance and follow-up.

I will have my psych evaluation in two weeks. I'm within 2 pounds of my prescribed pre-op diet, but don't have a surgery date yet for the revision.

I do not want to fail again, so I will probably seek therapy for food addiction even if it is not recommended during the psych evaluation.

Congratulations! This is awesome and you are truly inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Update: I'm now down 36 pounds on the liver reduction diet. I am actually a bit stricter than that. After reading several books about food Addiction I concluded it was true for me. I'm not binger, but I do "graze". Therefore I am on an abstinence diet, which they say is the only way to overcome addictions.

I abstain from all sugar, wheat flour and processed food. After about two weeks, I no longer had any cravings. My calorie intake has dropped from 1200 kcal to 1000 or less without intention. It just happened when I no longer felt the urge to graze between meals. I record everything I eat on the Baritastics app.

My nutritianist OK'd me for surgery, and so did the psychologist. I hoped to get a surgery date in August. Then 10 days ago I had bad fall and fractured my right arm. It is a non-displaced compression fx at the shoulder. No surgery or cast, but I must wear a sling for 8-10 weeks. I can't continue aquatic exercises or use the machines at the YMCA, and my knees hurt too much for walking {although I am trying.} The orthopedic doctor says I must postpone surgery until I can use the arm to lift myself. I am aiming for September or October. In the meantime, I will continue with the abstention diet.

Food Junkies: Recovery from Food Addiction by Vera Tarman
Weight Loss Surgery Does NOT Treat Food Addiction by Connie Stapleton
Bright Line Eating: The Science of Living Happy, Thin and Free by Susan Peirce Thompson
A Pound of Cure, Change Your Eating and Your Life, One Step at a Time by Matthew Weiner
The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients 3rd Edition by Colleen Cook

Edited by Sunnyway

Sounds like you are setting yourself up for success this time. It’s a daily battle to maintain a healthy weight and worth the fight.

No, I had a simple gastroplasty in 1980, an RNY in 1990. My stomach was not detached in that surgery. My pouch and anastomosis stretched. Both need to be made smaller. The stomach will be detached and much of the fundus removed.

Thank you for posting about your journey. I suspect my friend had a similar procedure 30 years ago but she refuses to look at a revision. I have tons of positive thoughts for you and this next part of your life! I’m 62 and my RNY is on 10/25. I can’t wait for the next part of my life to start!

On 7/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, Sunnyway said:

Update: I'm now down 36 pounds on the liver reduction diet. I am actually a bit stricter than that. After reading several books about food Addiction I concluded it was true for me. I'm not binger, but I do "graze". Therefore I am on an abstinence diet, which they say is the only way to overcome addictions.

I abstain from all sugar, wheat flour and processed food.< /em> After about two weeks, I no longer had any cravings. My calorie intake has dropped from 1200 kcal to 1000 or less without intention. It just happened when I no longer felt the urge to graze between meals. I record everything I eat on the Baritastics app.

My nutritianist OK'd me for surgery, and so did the psychologist. I hoped to get a surgery date in August. Then 10 days ago I had bad fall and fractured my right arm. It is a non-displaced compression fx at the shoulder. No surgery or cast, but I must wear a sling for 8-10 weeks. I can't continue aquatic exercises or use the machines at the YMCA, and my knees hurt too much for walking {although I am trying.} The orthopedic doctor says I must postpone surgery until I can use the arm to lift myself. I am aiming for September or October. In the meantime, I will continue with the abstention diet.

Food Junkies: Recovery from Food Addiction by Vera Tarman
Weight Loss Surgery Does NOT Treat Food Addiction by Connie Stapleton
Bright Line Eating: The Science of Living Happy, Thin and Free by Susan Peirce Thompson
A Pound of Cure, Change Your Eating and Your Life, One Step at a Time by Matthew Weiner
The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients 3rd Edition by Colleen Cook

I agree 100% you need to be able to use your arm to lift yourself. I worried when I went home from hospital I wouldn’t be able to get up without pulling myself up using the bed rails. I figured it out but I definitely used my arms. Sorry to hear of your setback but glad to hear you have a game plan and look forward to hearing more of your story.

No, I had a simple gastroplasty in 1980, an RNY in 1990. My stomach was not detached in that surgery. My pouch and anastomosis stretched. Both need to be made smaller. The stomach will be detached and much of the fundus removed.
So u had intestine bypass in rny? The won't bypass more intestine this time?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, terigetshealthy said:

Thank you for posting about your journey. I suspect my friend had a similar procedure 30 years ago but she refuses to look at a revision. I have tons of positive thoughts for you and this next part of your life! I’m 62 and my RNY is on 10/25. I can’t wait for the next part of my life to start!

Thanks. I didn't know that a revision was even remotely possible until I met a man just before the pandemic started who had had an RNY revision prior to total knee replacement surgery. COVID blew it out of my mind until this past April. I then decided to follow up, learned I was a candidate, and am progressing through the program. I have just had a CAT scan, and will have a cardiology evaluation next week. If approved by the cardiologist, the papers will go to Medicare. My surgeon says I should be able to have the revision before the end of the year.

Despite losing 50 lbs pre-surgery, I am still over well 100 lbs overweight. Revision surgery doesn't work as well, but he thinks I can lose another 60 lbs, which would take me to 215. I would really like to pass 200. We shall see. My dream goal is 175.

For what it is worth, my surgeon says I am NOT too old for the revision. While the surgical part is complicated, the laproscopic incisions will be so much easier for recovery than the open surgeries I had previously.

Why don't you encourage your friend to follow this thread? I will update my progress post surgery.