Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, at 6 months out. I have lost 67 pounds and then 23 t before. So I am at 90lbs down. I have been avoiding here because I feel like I see so many people lose that in 3 months. I swim 4 times a week. My doctor says because I am muscular, that is why I don’t lose as quickly. I’m putting on muscle as I work out but I just don’t see the scale move. Sometimes, it just feels like I’ll never get there. I was stalled for 2.5 weeks. Now I am back down to losing but seemingly taking forever to break into the next weight bracket. Is anyone else a slow loser? I honestly hate it but don’t know how to speed it up. I get around 800 calories a day, I get my Protein, I don’t cheat, I get Water and Vitamins, and swim 4 times a week, like I said. I just don’t get why my body is so stubborn and holds on. Feeling kind of sad about it all.

There are a few maxims you can depend upon on this journey. There’s no right or wrong rate of weight loss. Some people are fast losers & some are slow losers. The more you have to lose the faster you’ll lose at the beginning. Muscle weighs more than fat. The closer to goal, the slower you’ll lose. You may stall multiple times as you’re losing. It’s not a race.

I lost 31kg in 6 months - that’s 68lbs - sound familiar. And I wouldn’t be considered a slow loser. Of course, I don’t know where you started but I think you need to reassess how well you’re really doing. You are doing the right things. It will happen. Remember, every pound you lose is a win. Celebrate each one’s passing.

4 hours ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

So, at 6 months out. I have lost 67 pounds and then 23 t before. So I am at 90lbs down. I have been avoiding here because I feel like I see so many people lose that in 3 months. I swim 4 times a week. My doctor says because I am muscular, that is why I don’t lose as quickly. I’m putting on muscle as I work out but I just don’t see the scale move. Sometimes, it just feels like I’ll never get there. I was stalled for 2.5 weeks. Now I am back down to losing but seemingly taking forever to break into the next weight bracket. Is anyone else a slow loser? I honestly hate it but don’t know how to speed it up. I get around 800 calories a day, I get my Protein, I don’t cheat, I get Water and Vitamins, and swim 4 times a week, like I said. I just don’t get why my body is so stubborn and holds on. Feeling kind of sad about it all.

Also slow....slower even!

33lb pre surgery 24 lb lost since surgery (57lb loss)

Also 6 mth ago...everything has been stalled this last month

I don't cheat Protein is good altho Water is a challenge

I haven't been able to exercise much so I know this is part of my problem

Age (66)and hypothyroidism don't help I guess...but it is what it is!!

Although it's easy to feel cheesed about it!

Trend is downward albeit S L O W L Y

and I feel better for the little I have lost so its a matter of carry on and keep going!!!!!!

Keep in touch @ANewJourneyAwaitslet's encourage each other.

( I have literally just got back home from signing up for swimming so hope things will improve!!!!)

On 4/20/2021 at 5:39 PM, KayBee1972 said:

I had surgery on 2/4. I lost about 25 lbs right away then nothing. I got to 345 and stalled for 5 weeks.

Now I'm at 339(ish) and stuck, again for 3+ weeks. My exercise is okay, I get about 30-45 min a day 4-5 days a week.

I definitely eat less than 1000 calories a day, with (mostly) balanced macros. I keep my Protein > 70 every day and fat and carbs seem to fluctuate a bit depending. Yesterday I ate pecans so my fat was high and carbs were low. Other days I'll eat a banana or apple and then my carbs go up. Regardless, I can't seem to lose any more weight and it's been almost 3 months since surgery. I was doing some googling and found articles on WLS non-responders or insufficient weight loss. Apparently what they don't tell you is that there are people who aren't successful metabolically. My doctor already said I should find a new way of defining success that isn't the scale. Like I should Celebrate my increased exercise achievements. Have to say I find it hard to "celebrate" increased exercise stamina that doesn't come with dropping pounds. I wanted to fit my ass into an airplane seat and see Europe and not be a fat American. Looks like that isn't going to happen, though.

@KayBee1972 take measurements I've not lost so much on the scale but somehow inches have decreased ( actually flew last week without having to get an extension belt AND the food tray would open fully ( bit tight but it opened!!!)

Keep in touch ..... slow loosers unite!!!!

First of all... YOU LOST 90 POUNDS! That's amazing! Anybody would consider that a fantastic accomplishment, so Celebrate that!

Secondly, you don't show your starting weight or current weight on your stats, but if you started with a lower BMI -- say, around 40 -- you're not going to lose as quickly as someone with a really high BMI (I started with a BMI over 60!). And the closer you get to a normal BMI, the more your weight loss will slow down.

Finally, there are a lot of factors that can affect your rate of weight loss, some of which are completely beyond your control, so just because you're not losing as quickly as you'd like doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong or need to change anything, or that you won't get there eventually. I initially felt like I was losing slowly because I was comparing myself to other people, but looking back, I'm amazed by how much weight I lost in less than a year. We're all in a hurry to lose that weight, but once you get to your goal, it doesn't really matter how long it took to get there. Plus, some people say that losing slowly results in less loose skin, so it could actually be a benefit.

there are so many factors that influence people's rate of weight loss that they have little to no control over (e.g., age, gender, genetics, metabolic rate, starting BMI, etc). The two factors that you DO have a lot of control over are your activity level and how closely you stick to your food plan. If you do well with those two, you WILL lose the weight, whether fast or slow.

I was a slow loser. I was reminded of that by a very insensitive resident who was doing the follow-ups at my clinic one day - he said I was behind the rest of my co-hort. Well, I was super committed and almost never went off plan that first year, and I ended up losing every molecule of my excess weight, over 200 lbs (took me 20 months). So I pretty much blew everyone else in my "co-hort" out of the Water. And I know I am not alone.

my point is, us slow losers can also be very successful. In the end, your success is due how committed you are - NOT your rate of weight loss.

90lbs is a huge amount of weight to lose! Many people who drop massive amounts in a short time are very obese. I’m not sure where you started out at, but your initial weight may be a contributing factor. Someone who is much bigger than you and sedentary that went from that to being more active is probably going to lose more in the short term.

Is 800 calories what your doctor wanted you at for this time frame? It seems a bit low. I know I start to stall if I’m not eating enough and being physically active. Some days I have to force myself to eat 1000 calories, but in the long run I know I have better results and lose more.

Thank you for your encouraging words. I’m at work but I will respond to each after. My HW was 314 (I am 5’7). SW was 294. CW 224. Taking me forever to get out of the 20s. I was over 40 for BMI.

At 314 your BMI was 49, at 224 is 35. Take a moment to acknowledge how well you have done. At a BMI of 49 you would have been classified morbidly obese; You have achieved a lot, don't let impatience be your undoing. Be kind to yourself.

It is not taking forever to get out of the 200s, it is your impatience feeling like it is. At your current weight and height your weight loss is going to slow down now, and you will take longer to the lose the remainder weight. You need to acknowledge this and realise you are not a failure because your weight loss pattern is a standard weight loss pattern.

I feel your pain. i think i just need to look at each pound as a big thing. I was once 312 pounds, I lost over 85 pounds over a few years. then I just stalled. I had surgery in March ended up with a sleeve per say- dropped the initial 30 pounds and here I am a 1/2 pound a week maybe for the last two months.??? come on, I dont eat much. I puke over any weird thing and my skin looks like a deflated elephant... not feeling it either. So perhaps my rant was just that - no real good advice here just know others are in the same boat?

I'm discouraged. Sleeved on 5/13/2021 and have only lost 28 pounds. My husband was sleeved 6/24 and has lost 38 pounds. ugh...I get 90 grams of Protein in a day, take my Vitamins, drink and eat right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

38 minutes ago, Mnevins said:

I'm discouraged. Sleeved on 5/13/2021 and have only lost 28 pounds. My husband was sleeved 6/24 and has lost 38 pounds. ugh...I get 90 grams of Protein in a day, take my Vitamins, drink and eat right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. My surgery was 5-19 and I spoke to my dietician today (first time since surgery) and we originally thought I lost 24 lbs in that time and she was totally happy with that. Turns out I had recorded the wrong weight and I lost more, but the point is, when we both thought it was the lesser weight it was still considered great progress. She even told me not to compare myself with what others have lost. We're all different. Hang in there and keep doing your thing. As long as you're following the plan you will lose.

15 hours ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

I agree with others that you’ve done a great job thus far and it’s likely that you’re being to hard on yourself. There is no manual on how this should go. It sounds like you’re doing what you need to do. Your body will catch up to your mind. As your name implies, it’s a journey!

3 hours ago, Mnevins said:

you're starting out at a MUCH lower weight than most WLS patients, so you shouldn't except to see huge drops. I'd actually lost less than you at the six-week mark (about 22 lbs), and I started out MUCH heavier than you. So you are doing fine.

btw - it seems like the majority of us lose somewhere in the 15-25 lb range that first month. Of course you'll always find a few outliers - BUT...they're outliers. You are doing just fine - you are in that range. And again, you are also starting out at a much lower weight than most of us. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people's perceptions are affected by shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to remember that those people start out at much higher weights than the average WLS patient. Not many of us "normal" WLS patients lose as much weight right off the bat as those people do. Again, you are fine. Your loss is perfectly normal.

Edited by catwoman7

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people's perceptions are affected by shows like "My 600 lb Life", but you have to remember that those people start out at much higher weights than the average WLS patient. Not many of us "normal" WLS patients lose as much weight right off the bat as those people do. Again, you are fine. Your loss is perfectly normal.

I think that show does influence people’s perceptions too. You’re not going to lose at the same rate as people who are two or three times your starting weight. If you do watch that program (& I do) you’ll notice the weight they’re expected to lose each month decreases as they lose once they get down to 400lbs & less.

This surgery isn’t a miracle cure. You’re not going to lose all your weight in a couple of months. Consider how long it took you to get to your staring weight in the first place. Yes, to begin the weight loss is quite large in comparison to your previous weight loss rates & it’s motivating & exciting but it will slow down to a 2 pounds +/- a week which is generally considered a normal healthy rate.

Men tend to lose more quickly then women @Mnevins, unfair but true, so don’t be discouraged & compare your weight loss to your husband’s. You are playing on two distinctly different fields - height, starting weight, gender, genetics, age, … all influence the rate at which we lose. We share a surgery anniversary & are similar heights & staring weights - I’m just two years ahead of you. I lost about 10kgs (22lbs) in the same period so you could say you did better then me. But my surgeon was very happy with my rate & as I said earlier my rate was considered pretty common.