Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the Nutritionist’s task for you?👀🤔

I was simply told that I will be meeting with a Nutritionist 1 day. Idk what that meeting will entail.

What did the Nutritionist tell you to do? : To keep a daily journal for months ?

Is it a once a month meeting or once a week meeting?

Do they just go over a healthy diet and that’s it ?

I just Had my second meeting with my nutritionist. She has told me to keep a journal and I use myfitnesspal for that. I’ve been having some issues so she now has asked me to create meal plans for the week And be very formal about it. She reviews the information in myfitnesspal and gives me feedback on what I have done and what changes I need to make. She makes sure that I understand and I’m following the 30 rule and encourages me to eat more Protein. Protein protein protein! Since I have been having some trouble over the last month in keeping with the program I am going to have another meeting with her but I think that’s an extra meeting. I have been encouraged to contact any of the weight loss staff if I have concerns or questions and if I felt that I needed additional time with a nutritionist that is available to me I believe.

6 hours ago, BetseyinNC said:

I just Had my second meeting with my nutritionist. She has told me to keep a journal and I use myfitnesspal for that. I’ve been having some issues so she now has asked me to create meal plans for the week And be very formal about it. She reviews the information in myfitnesspal and gives me feedback on what I have done and what changes I need to make. She makes sure that I understand and I’m following the 30 rule and encourages me to eat more Protein. Protein protein protein! Since I have been having some trouble over the last month in keeping with the program I am going to have another meeting with her but I think that’s an extra meeting. I have been encouraged to contact any of the weight loss staff if I have concerns or questions and if I felt that I needed additional time with a nutritionist that is available to me I believe.

Wow!! Your nutritionist sounds awesome! Mine seems useless. I’ve met with her twice. The first time she spent an hour going over the calories in carbs/fats/proteins, which is information I’ve known since age 13 (when my parents put me in my first diet workshop). The second time she spent telling me about the liquid diet pre-op, but couldn’t tell me how long it would be, what counted as liquid (I.e., can I have things like popsicles and jello), or any sort of caloric goals-high or low. I feel very much like it was wasted time, but my surgeon requires it, so I jumped through that hoop!

I’d much prefer to visit your nutritionist. She seems to be providing a useful service!

Edited by FutureSkyDiver
Typo

it's going to depend somewhat on whether this is for the professionally-supervised diet that a lot of insurance companies require for a few months, or if it's just a visit or two that your bariatric clinic wants you to do with their resident dietitian as part of its requirements. If the former, the dietitian will probably have you keep records of what you're eating and you'll check in with him/her once a month to review your logs and they'll make suggestions on where to improve. If the latter, it'll probably be something more along the lines of FutureSkyDiver said - they'll probably talk about the basics of nutrition, how many proteins/carbs you should be getting, how much Fluid you should be getting, etc.

I had to do both - meet with a dietitian once a month for at least six months (to meet insurance company requirements) and then once I was closer to surgery, I had to meet with one of my clinic's dietitians to review their requirements for post-op eating. I think I met with her once or maybe twice.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. :)

For those that in the pre-op phase, just know that there are lots of different opinions you'll hear about nutrition and getting ready for surgery, and after the surgery. The main thing they want to see in the beginning is that you can stick to a program and show progress before you introduce the element of surgery. Because after that, there's no turning back. Try to find a routine that you can keep up for months and months (maybe years), as this is a life changing decision.

What worked for me- high Protein, low carb, kept calories below 1200 pre-op, and drank lots of Gatorade Zero and Protein Shakes. I had to read lots of labels and try different things to find foods/shakes/protein bars I liked enough to have every day. And I kept a log of everything I ate and drank for three or four months until I got into a solid routine. I stuck with it and am still following the program for the most part, although I have made a few changes as my body has changed.

Remember that everyone is different and you may need something different - That's between you and your doctor and the nutritionist. They should be able to help you come up with a good plan that works and this forum has lots of people that have been down this road, so there is a lot of helpful advice and wisdom to get here.

Billho: Thank you so much!

What is your favorite Liquid Protein to drink? I don't even know when my pre op diet will start. idk my surgery date yet BUT, I want to start trying different shakes and start doing low carb/ high Protein now.

CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your goal weight!!! :)

I tried many different ones, but Premier Protein has been my favorite. Many here will recommend Fair life, but they are more difficult to find at my local store (they recently showed up at costco, so I may get them the next time I'm there). Plus, I'm sure the sponsor of this website has their own products that they can recommend, though I have never tried them. Make sure you read the label, because your nutritionist may have certain things that he/she likes or doesn't like about different ones. Premier Protein isn't perfect, but I like that they come in many different flavors and I have options (my favorite is cafe latte). My nutritionist actually didn't really like Premier Protein, but she got over it. She wanted me to drink Unjury, but I didn't like the hassle of having to mix them up every day.

Thank you bill, noted. I will take a trip to my local store then... I will go to costo once it is time to do the pre op liquid diet.