Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet weight loss

Hi everyone! I’m am on day 6 of my pre-op diet and I have lost 10.5lbs. My daily “meals” are 2 Premier Protein shakes, 3oz of chicken or fish, 1 cup steamed veggies or 2 cups of raw veggies, 64 oz of Water and 1 cup chick or beef broth. It seems like an excessive amount of weight I have lost in a matter of 6 days. Is this normal? My pre-op diet weight was 264.5lbs and today I weigh exactly 254.0lbs. Just worried I’m losing too much weight too quickly. I still have 8 days to go until surgery. Any one have similar weight loss on pre-op? Thank you in advance :)

it's mostly Water. Plus most people lose a lot more the first week than they do the second week - but again, that's because a big chunk of that first week's loss is water. It's unlikely you'll lose another 10.5 lbs during week 2 of the pre-op diet - but even if you did, why would you worry? Most people would love to lose 21 lbs during the pre-op diet! You'll likely lose some more weight the second week, but probably not as much as you have so far.

You're eating less than 500 very low carb calories a day. That, in itself, will cause a little weight loss in 6 days. But the bulk of what you've lost is likely Water. Because of your low carbs, you are stripping your liver of all the glucose stored there...so it shrinks. (Which is really nice, because there is a little more room for the surgeon to work with the liver reduced) As the glucose in the liver is used, a lot of water is expelled, too.

This "instant significant weight loss" when we mostly eliminate carbs from our diets....is why people are so delighted when they go on a Keto diet and instantly lose weight and inches around their waists. But they're not losing fat....they're just losing their emergency glucose and the water it's stored in, and just shrinking their livers.

Your loss is normal and I wouldn't worry about it. Keep following your team's instructions.

Hi, I lost right at 10 lbs my first week too but now this morning - first day of week 2 I've only lost a half a pound so I assume the loss will be slowing down now.

@stephanie2393 - my date is 7/7 too! :)

Lara

I lost 14.6 pounds on the 16 day preop diet. The majority of it was in the first week. It’s a good thing. The dr said I did really good on the liver shrink diet and I had little pain afterwards. I like to think it’s cause he had more room to move things around in there so I didn’t get as bruised as some do from having to retract things out of the way (or just coincidence but it wasn’t easy so I like to think it mattered somehow 😉). I say Just stick to your plan. It sounds like you are doing great.

I’m jealous. I started my preop diet Monday and was told to only do liquids no food except yogurt Jello and pudding. My head hurts like crazy and my stomach is killing me. I’m doing a revision because of gerd I do not remember feeling like this the 1st time. I breezed through it. I’m suffering right now

Like a lot of you said, week 2 the weight has slowed down. I’m down a total of 12.5lbs in 10 days. Day 9 and 10 so far have been the hardest. I’ve kept to my plan 100% and yesterday and today I’ve had a massive headache, have been shaky and my tummy is painful. Been drinking tons of Water. Hoping the next 4 days fly by cause this sucks! 😂

On 07/01/2021 at 17:14, cgoldmurph8 said:

I’m jealous. I started my preop diet Monday and was told to only do liquids no food except yogurt Jello and pudding. My head hurts like crazy and my stomach is killing me. I’m doing a revision because of gerd I do not remember feeling like this the 1st time. I breezed through it. I’m suffering right now

I’m sorry to hear you are having problems…I have some similar. We’ll get through this! Good luck to you 😊

I'm on day 9 and feel like I'm hungrier and in worse shape today than I've been the whole first week put together. I'm about to have my last "meal" of the day - thank goodness because I'm HANGRY. One more day down is one less day to go...

Edited by ZhivagosGirl

I'm day 5 out of 14. My surgery date is 7/13. I was told only liquids no food. It's hard. But the Protein Shakes help. Although it's getting harder to swallow because my body doesn't want it anymore. I'm not sure how much I've lost since my scale isn't correct. But I feel lighter. Can't wait to get past this stage and on to recovery.

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app