Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 4 days out of DS and I’ve been trying to sip Water all day! I only got about 18 Oz down. I also sipped 2 x 3 oz strained miso Soup ate 2 x 2oz sugar free Protein pudding, 2 Oz sugar free protein Jello, and 1 tablespoon light Greek yogurt.

I’m feeling quite week. I do keep my bottle Igor next to me and I take tiny sips every 10 minutes. If you’re in the liquid phase, how are you doing sipping? Any tips?

Btw, before surgery I was guzzling a gallon a day. Ithink my body is noticing the huge difference.

It gets easier.... Does it just feel like a quick burn in the upper chest when it's going down?

If so, after about a week it got MUCH better for me. At almost a year out, I am just about able to drink like I used to (no odd feeling, just feels like I get full much quicker). I can down a 16oz bottle in less than 10 minutes if I'm really thirsty. Hope this helps.

PS - Try and drink as much as you possibly can - Dehydration can make you feel REALLY crappy. Maybe try the sugar free popscicles - For some, the cold is easier to take.

6 hours ago, MandoGetsSleeved said:

It gets easier.... Does it just feel like a quick burn in the upper chest when it's going down?

If so, after about a week it got MUCH better for me. At almost a year out, I am just about able to drink like I used to (no odd feeling, just feels like I get full much quicker). I can down a 16oz bottle in less than 10 minutes if I'm really thirsty. Hope this helps.

PS - Try and drink as much as you possibly can - Dehydration can make you feel REALLY crappy. Maybe try the sugar free popscicles - For some, the cold is easier to take.

It does feel like a bubble and a burp! I’m glad to hear it gets better. Im feeling the dehydration effects. I’ll double up on my sf popsicles ! I put some crystal light in my bottle Water and that’s helped me drink 8 ounces before 10 am.

You likely still have some swelling from the surgery which is contributing to the discomfort you’re feeling. You’re doing the right thing & you’ll find you’ll be able to drink more easily. Don’t forget your Soups (& shakes) contribute to your daily Fluid intake.

I found warm Water or tea (herbal or green) more soothing & easier to sip. Try an electrolyte drink to give you a boost of energy. I drank about 500mls of hydralyte most days.

Good luck & congrats on your surgery.

Measure out one ounce of water/tea/sugar free jello/broth....into a little one ounce medicine cup.

Drink this in ten tiny sips...over 15 minutes.

Do this EVERY 15 minutes. Make your entire day about focusing on this one task. Four little cups per hour.

If you do this, and you are awake for 16 hours (16x4 ounces)....you will drink 64 ounces in a day.

It takes a LOT of effort. Essentially, it's all you do the first week. Just wait until the next sip...all freaking day.

But it will keep you out of the hospital for dehydration, and you'll feel pretty good.

14 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Measure out one ounce of water/tea/sugar free jello/broth....into a little one ounce medicine cup.

Drink this in ten tiny sips...over 15 minutes.

Do this EVERY 15 minutes. Make your entire day about focusing on this one task. Four little cups per hour.

If you do this, and you are awake for 16 hours (16x4 ounces)....you will drink 64 ounces in a day.

It takes a LOT of effort. Essentially, it's all you do the first week. Just wait until the next sip...all freaking day.

But it will keep you out of the hospital for dehydration, and you'll feel pretty good.

Good advice. I’m now watching the clock and sipping. I’m aiming for 2oz every 15 mins as I know I may fall behind later in the day.

I used this in the beginning to help keep myself on track (assuming you are able to take tiny sips). Opard 32oz Motivational water bottle with Time Marker to Drink, Reusable Plastic Bottle with BPA Free Tritan for Gym and Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BFFHRPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2TYE2VAH28E8M8B09Z9P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

13 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I used this in the beginning to help keep myself on track (assuming you are able to take tiny sips). Opard 32oz Motivational water bottle with Time Marker to Drink, Reusable Plastic Bottle with BPA Free Tritan for Gym and Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BFFHRPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2TYE2VAH28E8M8B09Z9P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have a gallon size bottle like this that I used before surgery. Loved it! Now I’m struggling to get down 34oz a day. I’m one week out of DS and I decided to wake up earlier to start sipping. Seeing if I can get a few more ounces in today.

Good day everyone I'm new here I'm about 2 days post op duodenal switch and I feel horrible everytime I swallow i cry i been throwing up for the past 2 days. I'm just not understanding the doctor tell you to drink fluids every hour slowly and they give you all these capsules to take how you suppose to swallow that if your still swollen and trying to heel i got shoulder pain i had a headache ever since I woke up out of anesthesia I can't lay down on top of everything else I have a drain tube

Sent from my SM-A125U using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't know if it'll help, but right out of surgery I found my "sips" were a bit too big. I definitely felt like I was sipping, but then I'd get the air bubble feeling like I have to burp, and trying to force myself to burp would make some liquid come up too, so I'd have to swallow again, then burp, and repeat several times in order to get the air out. I think maybe since I use to gulp Water prior to surgery, my sense of a sip versus a normal drink was off, and I was drinking more normally rather than sipping.

I eventually did what @Creekimp13 suggested and repurposed our shot glasses into water cups, set myself a timer and made sure I was drinking an ounce over 15 minutes rather than drinking 1-2 ounces in a few minutes and then nothing for the remaining time.

Sitting up when sipping helped a bunch as well. I noticed when I tried to sip while in bed at night, it was much much more common to get the bubble feeling. It did get easier as I got further out, and I can take bigger sips at 3 weeks out then I could at 1. Still sometimes do one too big and get the bubble, but far less common now.

This is the worst decision I ever made I'm in agony I can't even keep Water down I'm miserable every time I try and sip water i throw it back up the sad part is I know I'm going to become dehydrated I haven't had water since the surgery and I'm thirsty as hell

19 minutes ago, Niquah said:

This is the worst decision I ever made I'm in agony I can't even keep Water down I'm miserable every time I try and sip Water i throw it back up the sad part is I know I'm going to become dehydrated I haven't had water since the surgery and I'm thirsty as hell

Keep trying tiny sipps, different drinks, different temperatures (even hot chocolate if you can have that right away (I forget)) but if you really don’t get any down contact your team. I was able to sip some but not enough and I noticed urine was dark ans they made an appointment for me to go back to hospital as an out patient to get fluids.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Thank you I'm trying and yes I spoke with the surgeon he told me to slow down don't force it I need time to heel everybody is different so ima try some hot tea thank you