Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am ~90 days pre-op and trying to establish solid habits before surgery including taking my Vitamins, hitting my Protein goal, moving more, etc. One of the things I've decided to do is to take a collagen peptide supplement (Vital Proteins powder), and have started incorporating it into my daily routine. I've read here in the forums and elsewhere online that collagen is NOT a complete protein and therefore should not be a sole source of protein intake, which I completely understand. What I'm wondering is, should it count towards my protein goal at all? If my goal is 70g and the collagen peptides provide 20g, is it appropriate to count towards my goal if the other 50g are coming from complete protein sources -or- should I not count it at all and considered it truly a "supplement" not a protein source?

The nutritionist in my office told me it doesn't count toward my Protein goal....but every program is different so I'm sure others were say it does. :)

T.

collagen doesn’t contain every essential amino acid so that’s why they state that it doesn’t count. Mind you, either does soy or some vegetable Protein. As long as you’re not using it as your primary protein source it can definitely be counted. There are so many myths and silly practices that happen around Bariatric surgery today, this happens to be one of them.

It shouldn't be counted as part of your MINIMUM grams of Protein because it is missing some amino acids that are essential for your body. That is why vegetarians need to be sure they are getting a variety of foods in combination to ensure their diet does not leave them lacking in essential amino acids. The 60 g that you need as a bare minimum to reduce the amount of muscle mass lost due to the rapid weight lost after surgery should be from complete protein sources. Anything above that, go ahead and use collagen if it floats your boat, but there's no evidence that it will help you. It's a fad. The collagen that you read about in your body can't be absorbed from food because when you ingest it, it's digested and broken down into separate amino acids.

It shouldn't be counted as part of your MINIMUM grams of Protein because it is missing some amino acids that are essential for your body. That is why vegetarians need to be sure they are getting a variety of foods in combination to ensure their diet does not leave them lacking in essential amino acids. The 60 g that you need as a bare minimum to reduce the amount of muscle mass lost due to the rapid weight lost after surgery should be from complete Protein sources. Anything above that, go ahead and use collagen if it floats your boat, but there's no evidence that it will help you. It's a fad. The collagen that you read about in your body can't be absorbed from food because when you ingest it, it's digested and broken down into separate amino acids.

Actually, for skin/hair/nail/joint support, the studies are pretty encouraging and the emerging science wholly supports collagen as a viable supplement. There is less data around collagen for muscle building/repair, but that's not my goal in taking it, so not a concern. I understand it's not a complete protein and therefore not a suitable sole source. Just wondering if, generally speaking, it should count towards overall protein goal. I don't want to short change myself, but also don't want to constantly be striving to hit a goal that I might already be achieving.

Sent from my SM-A205U using BariatricPal mobile app

I use the vital Proteins and my nutritionist said to count it towards my Protein. I’m 4 days out from DS and have mixed in my Soups, Jello, shakes, etc.

I added collagen powder (& silica) to my diet every second day from about month 4/5 but only for its supposed benefits to my skin. I never counted it towards my Protein goals. I guess if it did contribute, it was a bonus above my protein goal like @lizonaplane suggested.

Best thing to do is to speak to your dietician & medical team to be sure.

By the way, don’t think it actually helped my skin (nails or hair either). I was eating more & a greater variety of food & therefore increasing the nutrients I was consuming which I think probably did more. I stopped taking it after about 10 months or so.

a lot of us were told to take whey Protein isolate (when early out and doing protein supplementation) because it's the most easily absorbed by us. The others are right - collagen is not a complete protein, so that's not going to work early out if you're using it as your main protein supplement.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:08 AM, Kenda0928 said:

Actually, for skin/hair/nail/joint support, the studies are pretty encouraging and the emerging science wholly supports collagen as a viable supplement. There is less data around collagen for muscle building/repair, but that's not my goal in taking it, so not a concern. I understand it's not a complete Protein and therefore not a suitable sole source. Just wondering if, generally speaking, it should count towards overall protein goal. I don't want to short change myself, but also don't want to constantly be striving to hit a goal that I might already be achieving.

Sent from my SM-A205U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been using Vital Proteins myself for the last year or more. I definitely notice a result in my skin.

I also take the Vital Proteins collagen powder, but I do not count it toward my Protein goals for the day. It's not a good protein source. I take it mainly to help my hair and skin. I figure the protein in it should just be a bonus. If it helps, it helps but I don't want to count on it for my health.

I recommend just not counting it for now but at some point (for me it was my three month checkup) they should check your labs and Protein is one they check. I took it for a while and didn’t count it and it wasn’t like I was getting too much protein. At that point you will know how your body is absorbing it and you can adjust from there.

I use obvi collagen Proteins or vital proteins collagen powder daily. I do not count towards my nutritional goals as I use it as a hair/ skin supplement. My skin is definitely better - my complexion has improved/ feels softer. I think it is helping with hair too. No noticeable Hair loss after 6.5 months ( including gall bladder removal around 5 months post sleeve).