Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I've recently gotten through The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass, and I felt pretty secure in my decision to go through with it (my first appointment with the surgeon is July 8th). But a friend went on a diatribe, and now looking for more information. A few of the things she said:

-That people who've had weight loss surgery often have health problems because of the surgery (I know problems happen, but not at which percentages, etc)

-That these health problems lead to untimely death, such as heart failure from the low calorie diet, and that these deaths are not reported as being connected to the WLS, so the number of deaths from WLS appear lower than they are

-That the resulting reduced calorie intake is a starvation diet, and that's what leads to things like heart problems.

The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass had SOME statistics, but I felt it really could have had a lot more in the way of hard numbers. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some data that might shed light on these points.

Thank you in advance for your help.

she's wrong. Of course some people have complications - you can have complications from any surgery, not just bariatric surgery. People have died from tonsillectomies, after all. But most bariatric patients don't have issues, and complications when they do occur are usually minor and "fixable". That's not to say no one ever has major complications, but they're really uncommon. And the mortality rate for gastric bypass is 0.3%. It's even less for sleeve. So you have at least a 99.7% chance of not dying.

as far as untimely death, you're a lot more likely to have an untimely death from complications due to obesity than you are from bariatric surgery.

yes you are on a very limited calorie diet for the first few months, but it's medically supervised and they do labs every few months during that first year, so they can catch things before they become problematic. Plus you're taking lots of supplements - Protein, Vitamins, minerals - to prevent major problems, too. I had follow ups and labs done every three months my first year. After that, you're eating more normally, so you really have to be closely monitored only during the first few months post-op.

I think your friend is dealing with some very dated information - or complete misinformation.

If you meet your protien goal, you will protect your heart. If you go to your appointments, do your tests, do your best to follow instructions, and take your Vitamins as directed.... you will likely be a lot healthier than you've been in years.

There is nothing more strongly linked with early death, cancer, stroke, heart disease and diabetes.....than significant obesity.

Also...some doctors don't do a "starvation diet" (which I personally agree could be metabolically terrible and probably unwise). My doctor wanted us eating 1200 calories per day as soon as possible. I did at three weeks. (6 little 200 calorie meals)

I think where most of the people who have issues run into problems...is when they don't follow up. They have an unexpected gain or feel unhappy with results and don't continue to get their labs checked or do their follow up appointments. Yes, a few problems can arise as a result of these surgeries....most are very treatable.

Always weigh benefits vs risk. And also consider the risk involved in doing nothing.

I agree with the above responses. The key to weight loss surgery is your complete commitment for life. You must continue the plan, keep the dr appointments And do NOT return to your previous eating habits. I am 68 y o and 2 years post-op. I feel better than I have in decades. I still eat 6 times daily. My labs are great and I still follow up with dr appts. Yes, it is a lifestyle change, but after all that is what it is all about.
Prayers for your confidence and success

On 6/23/2021 at 9:07 AM, jpeits52 said:

Thank you so much!

I agree with the above responses. The key to weight loss surgery is your complete commitment for life. You must continue the plan, keep the dr appointments And do NOT return to your previous eating habits. I am 68 y o and 2 years post-op. I feel better than I have in decades. I still eat 6 times daily. My labs are great and I still follow up with dr appts. Yes, it is a lifestyle change, but after all that is what it is all about.
Prayers for your confidence and success

On 6/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, hauntedhideaway said:

Hi,

I've recently gotten through The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass, and I felt pretty secure in my decision to go through with it (my first appointment with the surgeon is July 8th). But a friend went on a diatribe, and now looking for more information. A few of the things she said:

-That people who've had weight loss surgery often have health problems because of the surgery (I know problems happen, but not at which percentages, etc)

-That these health problems lead to untimely death, such as heart failure from the low calorie diet, and that these deaths are not reported as being connected to the WLS, so the number of deaths from WLS appear lower than they are

-That the resulting reduced calorie intake is a starvation diet, and that's what leads to things like heart problems.

The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass had SOME statistics, but I felt it really could have had a lot more in the way of hard numbers. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some data that might shed light on these points.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I definitely think complications could be under reported due to patients being lost to followup. What your friend is not mentioning is the statistics for those that go along being 300-600 lb and die of heart attack stroke or lose limbs eyesight etc from diabetes or periphereal vascular disease. The surgery is a real solution for obesity and the word needs to get out there. If you’ve been big 300+ for more than a decade and tried everything and have deadly health conditions only u can decide at what point its worth the risk. I also agree w the response about compliance of Protein grams for heart protection. Patient compliance varies and is hard to measure w deaths. Some people are fat and have congestive heart failure prior to surgery and would have keeled over anyway because it already progressed that far