Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost one year - Down 100lbs - recap

Just thought I'd post about how this process has gone for me over the past "almost" year as today I crossed a big milestone (at least big to me).

198.8 - which when I think about it - I haven't been this weight since 2007 when I was doing weight watchers and had lost 40lbs. I think back over this past year it's still a little surreal.

At this time last year, I was finishing up my insurance pre-reqs of meeting with a nutritionist and therapist for 6 months. I had already started to transition my diet to two Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch to prep for my pre-surgical diet. I was nervous, scared and not 100% sure that I wanted to go through with bypass but also beginning to realize that I couldn't lose the weight on my own or I would have already.

My surgery was at the end of August and the two weeks of fluids before hand was really hard, but honestly - I was really proud of myself for doing it and grinding through what I couldn't imagine doing before. Those two weeks, to me, helped to set me up for what I could expect after surgery.

The day of surgery I almost told my husband to drive me back home. It was my first time anywhere since COVID hit and that alone was kind of terrifying to me. I remember being wheeled back to surgery and the anesthesiologist talking to me and asking me if I was excited. My response, "No. I'm terrified." But he gave my hand a squeeze and kept reassuring me that it was going to be ok and the team was great. Once I got in the surgical room it seemed to have the same kind of vibe - the team was more excited for me than I was.

I just don't think I could get my head wrapped around this procedure working. That I would lose weight and that my life would change. I think it all still felt very unreal - even as they put me to sleep.

Recovery - overall wasn't the most awful thing but it wasn't great. I ended up in the ER a couple days later due to dehydration. What helped me the most was an abdominal binder that they gave me when I left the hospital. I left this on for about three weeks until things stopped feeling like they were shifting or pulling. While the pain wasn't too unbearable, the reality that drinking, eating and for a short time peeing was a chore. Trying to get enough fluids was hard. Drinking the amount of Protein I needed to afterwards was impossible for me. I had to measure out 3oz and a time and set timers throughout the day to help me remember no to drink Water for a half hour before and a half hour after. Once I started solid foods it was also difficult for me. Trying to figure out what I was ok to eat (that didn't completely turn my stomach) and learning that crab, tuna, salmon would be my go to food for awhile. Adding in cheeses, eventually chicken and turkey on top of the protein shakes I was still doing.

After three months things started to get a little easier for me, my check up with the Nutritionist went well although she wanted me to get my calories way up. So I started to incorporate things with more fat into my diet. Nuts, Peanut Butter, avocado were just a few things that I started to try.

I think it was around this point where I realized, ok... this is starting to work. I was seeing weight come off and while food was a struggle I was walking around the block and having an easier time of it. My breathing was easier, sitting on the couch was easier, my back was hurting less, my clothes were starting to fit better.

As time went on I continued to add things to my diet, fruit, veggies, and eventually some carbs. Were there things that did not agree with me, absolutely, but I learned from trying them and adjusted my diet.

I waited to buy clothes until about two months ago. I had to go into the store to try on pants because I had no idea what size I was. I fit into a 16 and 14... which blew my mind. At my highest I was a size 24 and even that was tight. I've since ordered a bunch of new things which also helps me to see the difference in weight.

Things I still struggle with - drinking enough water. Losing hair - I still have a good amount but had a 2 month stint where I lost a lot. I still am freaking out when I see more than 10 hairs coming out on the brush but I have a ton of new baby hair growing back in. Making sure I'm focusing on eating enough protein and not drinking with meals. Going to the bathroom - it's either all or nothing for me. 😂 I usually weigh in after I go though - seems like a solid strategy in my mind.

The things that worked for me: ProCare Health Bariatric Multivitamins with Iron (1/day). Their sea salt caramel calcium chews (2.5/day). Biotin gummies - no idea if they helped but considering that I didn't lose soooo much hair I'm just going to keep taking them.

And if you're still with me - A big thanks to everyone who posted on here before my surgery. I was definitely a lurker but your stories helped to prepare me and give me confidence as I went through this myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :1300_clap_tone1:

Now on to Celebrate being in ONDERLAND again and I'd still like to lose another 30-40lbs - which I know the surgery won't get me there for the full amount (at least from my doctor's perspective) but I'm going to keep working at it and chipping away to see where I end up.

Thanks for sharing your surgery. I've been in the process of jumping through hoops and now just waiting for a date and it's great to hear about what the time during and right after surgery is like.

4 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Thanks for sharing your surgery. I've been in the process of jumping through hoops and now just waiting for a date and it's great to hear about what the time during and right after surgery is like.

The wait was hard for me but also somewhat comforting. I went through a lot of emotions over those 6 months waiting for a date and I do think talking with a therapist was invaluable. Eating for me was really tied into my emotions and I'm still working on trying to separate the two.

Hang in there! Hopefully you will get a date soon.

6 minutes ago, riverwaters said:

The wait was hard for me but also somewhat comforting. I went through a lot of emotions over those 6 months waiting for a date and I do think talking with a therapist was invaluable. Eating for me was really tied into my emotions and I'm still working on trying to separate the two.

Hang in there! Hopefully you will get a date soon.

Thanks. I have lost a bit of weight while I am waiting, but losing weight hasn't ever been the problem, it's keeping it off. I started off really excited and gung ho, but now I just feel deflated and frustrated.

2 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Thanks. I have lost a bit of weight while I am waiting, but losing weight hasn't ever been the problem, it's keeping it off. I started off really excited and gung ho, but now I just feel deflated and frustrated.

I'm sorry! I take it it's your insurance that's part of the problem? I met someone on here when I was prepping and was supposed to go before me but had issues with insurance and ended up going about a month after.

10 minutes ago, riverwaters said:

I'm sorry! I take it it's your insurance that's part of the problem? I met someone on here when I was prepping and was supposed to go before me but had issues with insurance and ended up going about a month after.

Actually no, my insurance hasn't even gotten involved. The surgery center is backed up due to COVID cancellations (all elective surgeries were on hold until April so everyone whose surgery was cancelled has to go first) and also they are short staffed. When they do call me to answer my questions, they're very nice and apologetic, but they often leave my questions unanswered for a few weeks.

Thank you so much for sharing. I had my surgery over 3 years ago but I love reading stories about others journey.
You have done great! Congrats for being in Onederland! I would love to hear about all of the things you can do now!
Stick to the basics & you will loose the weight. Don’t even think that one bite won’t hurt because before you know it it will be one bite here & there & then you will be back where you started from. You know how to eat properly now so stick with it!

40 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Actually no, my insurance hasn't even gotten involved. The surgery center is backed up due to COVID cancellations (all elective surgeries were on hold until April so everyone whose surgery was cancelled has to go first) and also they are short staffed. When they do call me to answer my questions, they're very nice and apologetic, but they often leave my questions unanswered for a few weeks.

Ah... yeah - I thankfully fell in between the hospital stopping procedures. I barely got two weeks notice - I wasn't prepared. ha. But took the first date they gave me so I couldn't waffle on it.

2 minutes ago, toodlerue said:

Thank you so much for sharing. I had my surgery over 3 years ago but I love reading stories about others journey.
You have done great! Congrats for being in Onederland! I would love to hear about all of the things you can do now!
Stick to the basics & you will loose the weight. Don’t even think that one bite won’t hurt because before you know it it will be one bite here & there & then you will be back where you started from. You know how to eat properly now so stick with it!

Thank you!!!

I think the main thing is gardening is so much easier for me. It's a big hobby of mine (so much so that I started a cut flower business this year) so being able to bend and work longer without being tired is fantastic.

Not worrying about if I'm going to fit at a table, or seat, or walking between aisles has been another thing I've noticed. As for exercise... with COVID I stopped going to the gym so everything I lost has been without working out really. I do walk about a half hour a day a few times a week but that's really it.

I think we're going to start looking into the city gym here soon as I could use some strengthening.

Hey, riverwaters, I am a fellow buckeye and was sleeved in July 2020! You’ve done great, and I really enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing your story. I have my last dietician appt this week. Then I guess I go on to insurance. I’ve been stressing and having second thoughts but I keep pushing on. My feelings and fears change daily.

T.