Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHERE ARE MY AUGUST 2021 PEEPS?

On 7/13/2021 at 6:53 PM, leighg84 said:

My date actually moved up a week so now I’m Aug 23!

Hooray we’re surgery twins! 😀 when do you start your Pre-op diet?

1 hour ago, Cleveland Clinic Mika said:

I'm having surgery in like 2 1/2 hours and I want to call it off 😬 I've been hearing so many negative especially about gaining acid reflux that I don't want to do this anymore. This has been a loooong back and forth journey for me! Has anyone else experienced these emotions?

I was super nervous as well. It’s totally normal before a big surgery.

August 31st

1 hour ago, Veronica-FS said:

Hello there, so are you still waiting for surgery?

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yep- was supposed to be tomorrow. They canceled today. Hospitals are full. 😭

Hi all

im booked in for 19 aug, I see a lot of you have had surgery this month, but don’t see any updates on how it is , is it that bad that no one is writing about it, I’m super worried x

42 minutes ago, Sue swapping over said:

Hi all

im booked in for 19 aug, I see a lot of you have had surgery this month, but don’t see any updates on how it is , is it that bad that no one is writing about it, I’m super worried x

Hi! I had my surgery late July (27th) so I'm 10 days post op. This is how things went for me:

Day of surgery

The surgery took 1.5 hours, and I spent an additional 1 hour in the recovery room. I was only nauseous immediately after waking up but it went away quickly. When I got back to my room, I slept for a while. After about an hour I was able to get up and walk around, use the bathroom, and drink Water. This made me a bit dizzy and nauseous and I felt weak. I tried to walk around every hour or so but all I really wanted to do was sleep. Most of the pain was in my back and chest. Pain level was 7/10 so they gave me more painkillers for the night. I slept on and off throughout the night, waking several times to use the bathroom, have a walk around my room and a few sips of water.

These were definitely the hardest hours of the entire recovery. It took quite a bit of concentration and strength to get myself out of bed each time. I never experienced any nausea or vomiting, just some dizziness when walking or standing up for more than 5 minutes.

1 day post op

The next morning I felt much better, pain level 5/10. Was able to drink a lot more, walk around the entire ward, have a shower and take 2 pills orally (1 for stomach, 1 for pain). Most of the pain was more of an aching in my back and upper chest, and an extremely sore abdomen. My husband said the color in my skin was back to normal and I was generally in good spirits.

I was discharged at 11am and when we got home (to our hotel) is when the shoulder pain and gas pain started to kick in. I noticed that it helped a lot to drink hot peppermint tea and broth, as well as to lie down flat on the bed. Once I would get up and walk around some more, though, the shoulder pain would come back. I walked around as much as I could because I had read that, although painful, it's the quickest way to get the gasses out and recover.

That afternoon I also had my first meal: about 2 tbsp of babyfood puree. Went down fine. It was also the first time that evening that I noticed my belly rumbling a lot and making noise. Slept through the night without waking up just fine.

2 days post op

Pain level was just a 2 or 3 this morning with some gas and shoulder aching. I spent the day taking small walks, napping and alternating ice water with hot broth and tea, and had about 100g of babyfood puree throughout the day.

3 days post op

No real pain on this day, just soreness in the abdomen and some dull ache in the shoulder every once in a while. I had some Greek Yoghurt in addition to the babyfood and that went down well. Could feel a lot of rumbling happening in my belly. Also had my first BM!

4-5 days post op

This is when I finally started to feel some hunger. But after having just 2 or 3 teaspoons of yogurt or puree, my stomach felt very full and this would last for 3-4 hours during which I could focus on getting my water in.

I comfortably traveled home (1.5 hr flight + 1 hr train) on day 5.

Present (10 days post op)

No pain or discomfort, just some soreness around my incisions that I notice a few times a day. Energy levels are fine unless I try to do something physically demanding - then I get wiped out very quickly and need a nap or a rest.

I am continuing to take omeprazole every morning and have 1 more day of blood thinner injections left. Eating around 50g of puree food, 5-6x a day.

Highest weight: 241 lbs

Surgery date weight: 228 lbs

Today's weight: 216 lbs