Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donating Platelets Before/After Surgery

(I haven't had surgery yet) I have been donating platelets when my hemoglobin levels are high enough, and I'm taking Iron supplements to allow me to do this more frequently, like every month or so. Can you donate platelets after surgery? If so, how long do you have to wait and do you have to take extra iron (yes, I know it will make me more constipated). I can reach out to the surgeon too, but it doesn't feel very urgent.

The US Red Cross requires a waiting period of three months to donate after surgery. Platelets centers can require as long as a year post-op.

You’re going to need your platelets after surgery, so I’d be concerned about how far in advance of surgery you need to stop donating in order to be safe.

23 hours ago, FutureSkyDiver said:

The US Red Cross requires a waiting period of three months to donate after surgery. Platelets centers can require as long as a year post-op.

You’re going to need your platelets after surgery, so I’d be concerned about how far in advance of surgery you need to stop donating in order to be safe.

I donate platelets at the Red Cross donation centers. My surgery isn't scheduled yet but I'm hoping I will have it by the end of August. Maybe I will just not donate again to be safe. Thank you!

I donate blood regularly, and was due at the beginning of May. I decided to wait for the time being and do what is best for my body. Surgery is scheduled for mid-July and I hope to be able to donate again around late October/November.

I have donated quite a bit and donated about 1 month before surgery. I asked my surgeon on his recommendation on when I can donate again and he stated he wanted to have me wait about 1 year. Right after surgery I had an issue with getting light headed/having to stabilize against a wall quite a bit. It does seem to be subsiding but it has taken quite a few months for this to stabilize. I would get your surgeons recommendation and to play it by ear for when you feel healthy enough to start donating again. I am planning on donating this October but that could change if I don't feel quite healthy enough to not have any issues. This is just my personal experience so it could definitely be different based upon your surgeon and your own individual health.