Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2021- calling all Vets!

I am SEVEN YEARS post op next week. Oh. My. Lanta!!!! How time has flown by.

Feeling good, looking pretty good still working on it every single day.

Where are all the long time vets at and what's your update?

Hello! Still trucking! I had sleeve in November 2014...original total loss was 185 lbs. I am currently 15 lbs over my lowest weight, but slowly working my way back down. Hard to believe it has been almost 7 years!

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

six years out. Originally lost 235 lbs, gained 10 lbs in year 3 (which was expected since I knew going into this that a 10-20 lb bounceback after hitting bottom is super common). Gained 10 more lbs during COVID, which I'm currently working on losing (only want to lose the 10 I gained over the past year, though - I have no desire to go back to my lowest weight - it was too low for me)

18 Years post-op.

I don't really focus on weight gain / loss nor my plan. I'm pretty much on autopilot for such things. At my last medical appointment I was at the top of 'normal' BMI. That's more or less where I've been most of the time.

The novel coronavirus hasn't really impacted my life other than hair cuts. I need a hair cut. Oh, the pandemic did kill a few vacations, so looking forward to those starting back up.

Good luck

Tek

Hi hi hi. April 2015... still holding at 135 and think I lost muscle and gained fat as my clothes are a bit tigh. Hmm it is a thing. Always a thought and salways work in progress

I am also 7 years out from my VSG. I had some significant regain for a couple of years but have since turned it around and am currently a couple of pounds from my lowest weight. Even with the weight regain, I am grateful for my surgery since most of my health issues have resolved or improved. I am also finding it easier to lose weight since I still have less stomach capacity and reduced appetite.

I’m 7.5 years out. After losing 130 lbs I hovered at about 15 lbs over that up until about 3 months ago. Oddly, I’ve been gaining while consuming about the same calories and carbs as well as same level of exercise. Now up about 27 lbs from lowest level.

Not sure what to do, but I suppose the obvious is lowering calories and carbs and at least maintaining exercise levels.

HW 327 in 12/16 SW 308 5/17 and I've had two pregnancies since and I'm around 165lbs now. I'd still like to loose another 20lbs.

RNY April of 2012, so that makes 9+ years out. My surgeon no longer practices bariatric surgery and most likely isn't even in my state any longer. I have had to make due with visits to hematologists, psychologists, primary care docs and more recently, went to a different WLS center for a consult and also to an endocrinologist to address the weight creep up that has taken years to put on--really can't blame the Covid, but rather letting a combo of sloppy habits and less intense exercise run the course to the expected outcome: the dreaded regain.

To complicate matters, I have been so exhausted that I have been trying to get to the bottom of that as well. Ruled out anemia (I have had to get Iron infusions three times), ruled out thyroid (although I do take NP thyroid and the endo upped the dosage a little bit), and while menopause is a factor, I got on bioidentical hormones to try and feel better. Somewhere in the middle of this, I had the brilliant idea that perhaps I should wean myself off antidepressants because they might have contributed to the weight gain as well. Uh. This is not the year to get off antidepressants, being all stressed out at work with all the students back to in-person learning and no clear direction about how to distance kids who seem determined to sit on top of one another, etc.

After the new bariatric consult, where I was basically told that because I had open gastric bypass and then had incisional hernia repair and fleur de lis abdominoplasty, my insides are too messy to do any kind of revision, with the adhesions and all. But what I NEEDED to hear was what I have been doing: back to basics. Push that protein--90 grams. Watch the carbs and fat. Exercise. And eat less calories. 1200-1400. Since that visit I have tracked my intake on MFP and gave myself one day a week to have a higher calorie day and some kind of splurge. The rest of the week I do two very high Protein Meal Replacement shakes, a Greek yogurt, a couple of hard boiled eggs and something small but proteiny and veg for dinner. I have to say, keeping it boring has kept the appetite at bay. And so far, so good. Nearly back to Onderland again, and I plan on keeping going until I get back to my lowest weight, which hilariously still has me in the overweight category according to the BMI.

In addition, since not crawling into bed as soon as I get home is one of my major goals, I went back on the antidepressant, at a little higher dosage after explaining my symptoms of exhaustion. All this to say that the work is never done and I wouldn't have it any other way! This is my first post and I figured I would just throw it all out there and include the juice, since that is what it is all about for me and I have been very much enjoying reading all the posts here. Didn't want to be a freeloader with nothing to contribute :)

On 10/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, FieryPhoenix said:

RNY April of 2012, so that makes 9+ years out. My surgeon no longer practices bariatric surgery and most likely isn't even in my state any longer. I have had to make due with visits to hematologists, psychologists, primary care docs and more recently, went to a different WLS center for a consult and also to an endocrinologist to address the weight creep up that has taken years to put on--really can't blame the Covid, but rather letting a combo of sloppy habits and less intense exercise run the course to the expected outcome: the dreaded regain.

To complicate matters, I have been so exhausted that I have been trying to get to the bottom of that as well. Ruled out anemia (I have had to get Iron infusions three times), ruled out thyroid (although I do take NP thyroid and the endo upped the dosage a little bit), and while menopause is a factor, I got on bioidentical hormones to try and feel better. Somewhere in the middle of this, I had the brilliant idea that perhaps I should wean myself off antidepressants because they might have contributed to the weight gain as well. Uh. This is not the year to get off antidepressants, being all stressed out at work with all the students back to in-person learning and no clear direction about how to distance kids who seem determined to sit on top of one another, etc.

After the new bariatric consult, where I was basically told that because I had open gastric bypass and then had incisional hernia repair and fleur de lis abdominoplasty, my insides are too messy to do any kind of revision, with the adhesions and all. But what I NEEDED to hear was what I have been doing: back to basics. Push that protein--90 grams. Watch the carbs and fat. Exercise. And eat less calories. 1200-1400. Since that visit I have tracked my intake on MFP and gave myself one day a week to have a higher calorie day and some kind of splurge. The rest of the week I do two very high Protein Meal Replacement shakes, a Greek yogurt, a couple of hard boiled eggs and something small but proteiny and veg for dinner. I have to say, keeping it boring has kept the appetite at bay. And so far, so good. Nearly back to Onderland again, and I plan on keeping going until I get back to my lowest weight, which hilariously still has me in the overweight category according to the BMI.

In addition, since not crawling into bed as soon as I get home is one of my major goals, I went back on the antidepressant, at a little higher dosage after explaining my symptoms of exhaustion. All this to say that the work is never done and I wouldn't have it any other way! This is my first post and I figured I would just throw it all out there and include the juice, since that is what it is all about for me and I have been very much enjoying reading all the posts here. Didn't want to be a freeloader with nothing to contribute :)

Hi Fiery! I’m brand new here, and I see you’re not posting these days. I hope you’re doing well, and I hope you're still using your tool… if not, I think here’s a good place to chat and vent. I’m completely terrified of my upcoming bypass surgery. I only have this next month to take off work and take care of myself. It sounds like you’re a busy, on the go kinda girl ( so am I, very much so) … I guess I’d like to know how you’re doing these days… the reality of it all.. I hope to hear from you!😀

Hello Mari! I guess I took what I needed from this site and moved on to other sources. Thank you for asking: I am doing well indeed. Funny how I have read how so many are terrified of surgery because I was not at all in that place when I had mine. I guess I am a bit obsessive about researching and reading everything, scientific and anecdotal about a subject before I pull the trigger on anything. WLS was no different. I was at rock bottom and it seemed the best course of action at the time. And you know what? It still is, in my not so humble opinion. I am still plugging along. I have been at a weight that seems to be effortless and a long-time set point for me, albeit 20 pounds over where I would like to be. That being said, I am still over 100 pounds lower (give or take: 107 pounds down from highest recorded, and most likely 127+ pounds down from an unrecorded weight due to not visiting doctor and not stepping on a scale at my most miserable and judging from my pictures.) Right now I am working on taming my stress because it leads to disordered crap eating and high cortisol...and no way will that 20 pounds come off when my body and mind are just searching for solace (usually found in inappropriate foods and the hell to pay on the digestive system.) Even if I stay right where I am, I am ok with that. I am able to buy clothing at any regular store and feel good. That for me remains priceless. So why even bother? Ah. Well. Since I retired after 30 years in public education, I have taken a pt library page position. I am on my feet, stretching and bending and basically sweating all in the course of doing my 19 hour a week job. Combined with daily dog walks, I am active. It has been hell on my feet. From all I have been researching, the only thing I have yet to do, but what will probably help the most with my foot pain, is releasing the extra 20 pounds that came on due to sloppy habits. The best thing is that I am convinced that it will happen. Best of luck to you on your journey. <3

6 hours ago, Susan Janke said:

Hello Mari! I guess I took what I needed from this site and moved on to other sources. Thank you for asking: I am doing well indeed. Funny how I have read how so many are terrified of surgery because I was not at all in that place when I had mine. I guess I am a bit obsessive about researching and reading everything, scientific and anecdotal about a subject before I pull the trigger on anything. WLS was no different. I was at rock bottom and it seemed the best course of action at the time. And you know what? It still is, in my not so humble opinion. I am still plugging along. I have been at a weight that seems to be effortless and a long-time set point for me, albeit 20 pounds over where I would like to be. That being said, I am still over 100 pounds lower (give or take: 107 pounds down from highest recorded, and most likely 127+ pounds down from an unrecorded weight due to not visiting doctor and not stepping on a scale at my most miserable and judging from my pictures.) Right now I am working on taming my stress because it leads to disordered crap eating and high cortisol...and no way will that 20 pounds come off when my body and mind are just searching for solace (usually found in inappropriate foods and the hell to pay on the digestive system.) Even if I stay right where I am, I am ok with that. I am able to buy clothing at any regular store and feel good. That for me remains priceless. So why even bother? Ah. Well. Since I retired after 30 years in public education, I have taken a pt library page position. I am on my feet, stretching and bending and basically sweating all in the course of doing my 19 hour a week job. Combined with daily dog walks, I am active. It has been hell on my feet. From all I have been researching, the only thing I have yet to do, but what will probably help the most with my foot pain, is releasing the extra 20 pounds that came on due to sloppy habits. The best thing is that I am convinced that it will happen. Best of luck to you on your journey. ❤️

Hi Susan! Sounds like you’re doing great! Soooo good to know! Thank you for the quick response. What I’d like to ask is , you mentioned your digestive system… this is 1/2 of my main concern … does it feel different? Have You ever had pains or tummy discomfort? My tummy is literally the ONLY part of me that doesn’t hurt! The other worry is I don’t trust myself to follow the rules and only eat clean… i always start out great but then end up self sabotaging myself… we ALL find solace in eating inappropriate foods… Also, can you tell me which other sources you used for the last few years? Your last 20 will come off I’m sure! You’ve been doing this ! You KNOW you can do this and relieve your feet!

I just made 10 years in July. Time really flew by. I went up a little, but im back down. Almost to my goal of 100lbs (im super short). Finally decided to go ahead with plastics. Im 2mo out