Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 months out relapsing into old habits.

I’m slipping into bad habit, not separating Water and food, not eating enough, alway hungry, I still drink a Protein Shake a day, but sometimes, it’s hard not eat out of boredom, I don’t want to stretch my stomach but it requires so much effort to keep everything straight Vitamins, water , doorbetaald too much sugar, sigh, I’m healthier and happier now maybe I need to just to repriortize my goals, please tell meid not alone, what keep you guys on the straight and narrow? TIA

Go easy on yourself. It sounds like you're requiring perfection. It sounds like you have some bad habits creeping back which you want to stop, but it also sounds like you're beating yourself up for not doing this perfectly everyday. Maybe it's time to think about what the most important goals are that you have, or the bad habit you have that is causing the most damage, and work on that one.

9 hours ago, Holodisplay said:

please tell meid not alone, what keep you guys on the straight and narrow? TIA

this isn't easy, and yes, it's not uncommon for bad habits to sneak back in after you're a ways out. The thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow is the fear of gaining all that weight back again. I never want to go back there...

You are not alone. The real work begins after the honeymoon is over and you face your permenant future of new eating habits.

How do I stay on the straight and narrow? Two things....a genuine commitment to staying healthy and active, and help from my bariatric therapist to understand why I had a lifelong history of self sabotage where food was concerned....so I can hopefully freaking avoid it! It's not easy. I have a 40 year history of food addiction. I have never had an emotion I couldn't eat.

Chopping out your stomach doesn't fix your head.

I talk about going to therapy a lot...in reality, these days I see the therapist maybe twice a year. But in the second year following surgery I really struggled with how to make healthy eating habits my norm...and how to stop obsessively living my life around my diet. All roads lead back to food....either obsessively wanting it, or obsessively denying it. Obsessive weighing, exercising, research, etc. God, it was exhausting. I needed to learn new strategies and reframe my accomplishments/struggles/needs/emotions....in other ways. My second year after surgery, I think I would have backslid and self sabotaged again if not for my bariatric therapist.

Give as much attention to your past relationship with food....as you do the needs of your new stomach.

To move forward, heal the past.

I also find it hard to stay on track. I see this as a lifelong battle and my motivation is that I NEVER want to go back to the overweight and unhealthy person I was. My absolute "set in stone" rules are that I weigh myself every day (for me this is absolutely crucial to maintaining my weight); I count my Protein carefully to make sure I get enough, and always take my Vitamins (I really want to minimise other medical issues and hair loss). Other than that I have good food days and not so good food days but I just can't be "perfect" with what I eat everyday and I've accepted that.