Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is not listed, but I had the SADI. I was just wondering if anyone is feeling unmotivated to work out? I'm getting my energy back and all necessary Vitamins and Protein. I think I feel less motivated to work out since I'm already losing weight!!! I'm 3 months post op by the way. Has anyone else dealt with this?

thanks

Terri

Just had this conversation with my husband about 2 hours ago. I'm 24 days out and feeling like I WANT to start exercising (more than just walking). I was originally told 6 weeks, AT LEAST, before I could. Was told the same about swimming. I feel that's overkill. At least for me (as I seem all healed up and not hurting in any way).

I actually emailed my surgeon's office today asking if I could go swimming as my incisions are all healed already. I'll next ask about at least using resistance bands FOR NOW. I just feel like I NEED to be doing something. But that's just me. And it may be because, unlike you (which it's awesome you are losing and haven't started exercising yet), I have only lost 14lbs since surgery and in the dreaded stall right now so I'm thinking (hoping) if I was doing more exercise wise, I'd hopefully get that scale moving.

On 06/12/2021 at 14:11, SummerTimeGirl said:

Just had this conversation with my husband about 2 hours ago. I'm 24 days out and feeling like I WANT to start exercising (more than just walking). I was originally told 6 weeks, AT LEAST, before I could. Was told the same about swimming. I feel that's overkill. At least for me (as I seem all healed up and not hurting in any way).

I actually emailed my surgeon's office today asking if I could go swimming as my incisions are all healed already. I'll next ask about at least using resistance bands FOR NOW. I just feel like I NEED to be doing something. But that's just me. And it may be because, unlike you (which it's awesome you are losing and haven't started exercising yet), I have only lost 14lbs since surgery and in the dreaded stall right now so I'm thinking (hoping) if I was doing more exercise wise, I'd hopefully get that scale moving.

I was told swimming was fine after two weeks!

I had zero motivation to work out, until about 5/6 months out when I'd lost a decent amount of weight and physically it was easier. Still didn't really want to exercise, but did some long walks.

Something strange has happened at almost 10 months out and I just want to run, all the time. I've never been a runner so I can't really figure out why, but sharing just to give an example of how things have changed for me.

It's very hard to work out when already in a huge calorie deficit, which is possibly why I feel much more up for working out now my weight and diet are more 'normal'.

I hope you figure out something that works for you, but don't worry too much if you're not feeling it yet. 😊

Exercise for it's own sake is boring. BORING. As such, I've never cared to sustain 'working out.' Even when I was much younger and decent shape I didn't do gyms. Hated it. But participating in sports I enjoyed. Games are fun, gyms not so much.

When I had my surgery we lived in Las Vegas. My surgery was open (cut open stem to stern then a drain for a couple weeks) so doing much of anything wasn't going to happen. Heck, breathing barely happened because any movement was painful. Thinking of breathing was slightly less painful. Once the tubes and staples were removed we began doing all sorts of people watching and walking.

The first walk I was able to make it perhaps a hundred or so meters. As time moved on and weight moved off we were walking up to 10 miles up and down the strip or wherever else we walked. Still, exercise for it's own sake was not in my plans.

When I got down to a weight that began with 2-- I had an abundance of energy and thought it would be interesting to see if I could do the 'couch to 5k' program to see if I could run 5k. I had no intention of doing more than accomplishing the goal. When I managed running the 5k I found it was enjoyable. As running became part of my daily routine I found it gave me time to ponder the day ahead and to listen to audio books.

A few times I tried hitting the treadmill in the gym. I did everything identical to running outside and it was pure torture. Hated every step. The gym felt crowded and I felt on display whereas outside I felt free and alone. So, I never did 'work out' in a gym.

Do what you enjoy. If you like it you will do it. It's your life do it your way.

Good luck,

Tek

I am three months out and have not been able to motivate myself to exercise either. I need to though as I am also able to eat larger portions and feel like I may be close to putting myself into maintenance if I can’t cut back on the Snacks. At least the weight loss has slowed WAY down already and I am nowhere near goal.

Edited by ShoppGirl

3 hours ago, GummyBearQueen said:

I was told swimming was fine after two weeks!

Yay that gives me hope they'll change their minds and give me the green light with it then.

10. Months out and only workout 2 times a week, just busy with life.

I’ve never been a big exerciser. I’ve tried it all but I have never experienced that endorphin rush people talk about. Sweat, muscles strain, exhaustion, boredom yes but no sense of accomplishment or joy so little motivation.

After surgery I walked on my treadmill. I did this for a couple of months. Then my energy levels plummeted & I was exhausted so I stopped. I then bought some resistance bands & did that for a while. If I was someone who found satisfaction in being able to run 10km, swim 100 laps or lift 50kgs, maybe I would be motivated to be more active but I don’t. I don’t want to spend hours at a gym or on my treadmill.

At 2 yrs out, I try to be active in my everyday. Deliberately make multiple trips up & down my stairs. Park further away from where I need to go. Use stairs where possible. Walk at pace. Walk to the local convenience store, etc. My calories intake is lower because I’m not overly active but I’m fine with that.

How much you exercise & what you do is up to you. As I say all the time, you have to find what works for you & allows you to live & enjoy your life.

@SummerTimeGirl - you may appear healed on the outside but you don’t know about your insides where the surgery actually occurred. If you think you’re ready to do more than just walk, have a conversation with your surgeon.

41 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

@SummerTimeGirl - you may appear healed on the outside but you don’t know about your insides where the surgery actually occurred. If you think you’re ready to do more than just walk, have a conversation with your surgeon.

Yup. Hubby said the same thing to me......DON'T RUSH IT!! LOL I will take it easy for now. But I do hope they at least let me in the pool for now.

I’m only two and A half months out. I had a Few complications with blood pressure issues which pushed my timeline back. My “exercise” really just consists of my day to day activities at this point…

I go up and down the stairs multiple times a day, we (my kids and I) walk to the pool, we swim, we walk back, we go to the beach, I walk on the sand and play with my kids (this totally counts when you have a 4 year old! Lol). I have even volunteered to go run errands so I can get out and walk….

I have had severe mobility issues and I am just now able to get up and move. Before it was excruciating just sitting in a chair! I approached my ortho dr and asked if I could do physical therapy since I am now able to move more and I would like to figure out how to move correctly, build strength, and built flexibility in those joints I haven’t used in years. I get to call in on Monday and figure out when they can schedule me. I’m really looking forward to physical therapy!

6 hours ago, Orinskye said:

I’m only two and A half months out. I had a Few complications with blood pressure issues which pushed my timeline back. My “exercise” really just consists of my day to day activities at this point…

I go up and down the stairs multiple times a day, we (my kids and I) walk to the pool, we swim, we walk back, we go to the beach, I walk on the sand and play with my kids (this totally counts when you have a 4 year old! Lol). I have even volunteered to go run errands so I can get out and walk….

I have had severe mobility issues and I am just now able to get up and move. Before it was excruciating just sitting in a chair! I approached my ortho dr and asked if I could do physical therapy since I am now able to move more and I would like to figure out how to move correctly, build strength, and built flexibility in those joints I haven’t used in years. I get to call in on Monday and figure out when they can schedule me. I’m really looking forward to physical therapy!

Good for you. Being able to start PT is an Awesome non scale victory.

I think it’s hard to want to do more when you’re not struggling to lose weight. It’s also liberating to not worry so much.

I completely understand because my motivation to exercise (anything more than basic stuff) plummeted because I was already happy with the results.

Exercise is not necessarily most important factor to lose weight after WLS but it *may* make a difference in where you lose or maintain muscle tone.

My approach to exercise has two elements.

First, I do track my steps. I'm a hard data person, and I like something simple that I can quantify. When I started out I was getting 5000 steps a day. I gradually increased 200 steps a week and worked up to 10,000 steps a day. I picked that number because my doctor said it was a good goal. Research varies on what is best, but most will put the optimal number between 8,500 and 12,000 steps a day for good cardiac health and avoiding a sedentary lifestyle. Lot of research out there about how awful sitting for most of the day is for you.

In maintenance, I do 10,000 steps a day. When i'm actively trying to lose (went up a couple pounds and want to correct) I'll increase to 12-14,000 a day. I have had a few days in the 20,000s and a couple in the 30's.....but most often I'm somewhere between 10 and 14...and for me, this feels perfect.

The other element of my approach to exercise...is to do active things that I LOVE. I never do exercise I hate, or that bores me. I garden, ride my bike, swim, run my dog, hike with friends....stuff that makes me smile and feel good.

I also mow my lawn. With a push mower. How many people pay for a gym membership, and go home and ride a riding lawn mower! Seems crazy to me. Lawn mowing is an awesome work out...upper and lower body, core...good stuff...and you get to look behind you and see how much you've done. Finishing the work kinda pushes you to commit....and at the end your yard looks terrific. I know this sounds psycho, but I kinda love to mow my lawn.

This level of exercise supports a 1600 calorie a day diet. I like having this many calories, and I like keeping my heart healthy. I also like the muscle definition in my arms and legs. Hubby says I have Wonder Woman legs. LOL.

Prior to surgery I exercised regularly, but had an unhealthy mindset about it. I exercised because I was fat and needed to burn more calories… almost like punishing my body. I would do ridiculous amounts of cardio. Now I am 3 months post op and I recently joined a CrossFit gym…. And I fell in LOVE. I love seeing what my body can do and pushing my limits to get stronger and better. I don’t get bored and look forward to going. I think it depends on each individual and figuring out what works for YOU.