Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering for those who are in the liquid diet stage or further, when you drink a Protein Shake like Premier Protein do you guys drink the whole bottle at one time or take time throughout the day to drink it? Please I need help!

I'm in soft food right now and don't typically rely on shakes anymore cause I have been getting my Protein in just fine with the foods I am eating (and if not I use a scoop of GENEPRO in a small amount of Water (like 2 oz, usually gatorade zero) and drink that for 30 grams of protein). However, when I was in the full liquid stage I would typically finish the shakes within 30 min. No more than an hour for sure. But then, I never had an issue at all from the get go when it came to getting liquids in or keeping things down. I was one of the lucky ones, still am, who didn't have issues with nausea, sickness not being able to eat, drink etc.

46 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

I was one of the lucky ones, still am, who didn't have issues with nausea, sickness not being able to eat, drink etc.

actually, that's more the norm. I think it seems like most people have nausea, can't eat, etc because people who experience that are looking for advice or support, so they're more apt to post. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I think it kind of skews people's perceptions - they think it happens to a majority of us, when it actually doesn't..

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

actually, that's more the norm. I think it seems like most people have nausea, can't eat, etc because people who experience that are looking for advice or support, so they're more apt to post. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I think it kind of skews people's perceptions - they think it happens to a majority of us, when it actually doesn't..

Thanks for responding and not replying to my question 🙄

48 minutes ago, Crystalmoon said:

Thanks for responding and not replying to my question 🙄

the reply was to SummerTimeGirl's response. If you'll check again, I added her quote to my post.

The very few times that I had success drinking a Protein Shake after surgery, it took me an hour or two to finish. Very slow. I have found much better luck filling a 24 oz. water bottle, adding a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder (Genepro is the only one that doesn’t make me nauseous), Crystal Light, and drinking over a few hours.

And to another comment, my nutritionist told me vomiting isn’t normal after surgery.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

the reply was to SummerTimeGirl's response. If you'll check again, I added her quote to my post.

I know you could’ve at least answered the original question 🙄

16 minutes ago, Crystalmoon said:

I know you could’ve at least answered the original question 🙄

sorry - but that's the way internet forums work sometimes. I'm several years out of surgery - I don't remember how quickly I drank shakes. Someone not as far out can probably give you a better answer.

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

That's fascinating insight, I honestly thought it was the norm that everyone would get nauseated and/or had big issues with eating and drinking. But, it makes sense, what you're saying. This makes me feel better going in.

On 06/12/2021 at 18:13, laurenantics said:

That's fascinating insight, I honestly thought it was the norm that everyone would get nauseated and/or had big issues with eating and drinking. But, it makes sense, what you're saying. This makes me feel better going in.

I’m three weeks out, have tolerated every food I have eaten, have no trouble with liquids or pills, have never vomited or been nauseous. I think for most people that’s the norm. Good luck!

When I was in the early stages (I'm almost 5 years out), my nutritionist had been clear; meals, whatever you are eating, should last for 20 minutes. Didn't matter if you hadn't finished whatever you were eating, you were done in 20 mins. I think the idea behind this is to encourage mindful eating, stretching a meal out over 20 mins so one doesn't eat too much by eating too quickly, as well as to break old, bad habits of having to finish what's on your plate, to delineate meal times instead of a long period of grazing/snacking, etc. I never had nausea or vomiting post-surgery, but sometimes drinking a full shake in 20 mins was more than I could handle; I'd just be full.