Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone mess up on puree diet and not die?

OK, I know I should not have done this, and I'm not going to do it again.

I had a small amount of grits that were restaurant-prepared yesterday morning. They had corn in them, which I was conscious of, but I was thinking that if I chewed it really really well, it would be okay. In the two or three bites of this that I had, I maybe had like.... 6 kernels of corn? I've kept everything down since surgery and I haven't had any issues with it since, and now I'm 24 hours out. But, re: having anxiety, now I'm worried I'm going to get a bowel obstruction from this and die. :)

SO... did anyone else do anything they weren't supposed to do in the puree stage and end up fine?

You had your surgery on 5/20. So, 22 days ago, correct?

I had my sugery on December 5th and remember that I ate little teenie bits of everything at Christmas dinner 20 days after my surgery. Mostly, I had minced little bits of turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy. Had no issues.

I will say one of the ONLY foods that still bothers me 3.5 years out...is corn. But typically only when I eat crunchy corn off the cob and don't chew enough.

Corn is worthy of caution...but if it was just a few kernels and you chewed it really well, I wouldn't worry. At 24 hours, if you had an obstruction, you'd likely be puking.

I think you'll make it:)

On 06/12/2021 at 08:21, Creekimp13 said:

You had your surgery on 5/20. So, 22 days ago, correct?

I had my sugery on December 5th and remember that I ate little teenie bits of everything at Christmas dinner 20 days after my surgery. Mostly, I had minced little bits of turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy. Had no issues.

I will say one of the ONLY foods that still bothers me 3.5 years out...is corn. But typically only when I eat crunchy corn off the cob and don't chew enough.

Corn is worthy of caution...but if it was just a few kernels and you chewed it really well, I wouldn't worry. At 24 hours, if you had an obstruction, you'd likely be puking.

I think you'll make it:)

thank you 💜💜💜💜 yes the internet has been clear during my frantic searching this morning that corn was a particularly bad call lol

I messed up and had Pasta too soon. Misinterpreted the directions and did not see the DO NOT EAT in front of pasta. I was fine.

Everyone slips at some stage. If you haven’t had any side effects you’re probably ok. But this isn’t a get out of jail free card or permission to do it again. The staged return to eating solid foods is in place to aid healing, not put strain or damage on your poor sensitive tummy. Remember you had a large chunk of it cut away & you have lots of staples & stitches inside. You will be digesting food slightly differently then you did before too.

Congrats on your surgery. You’ll be fine. Just follow your program.

Had crackers during puree stage simply because I wanted a typical "snack." It was fine. No issues whatsoever.

Aliana Wood.. how many days post op when you had the crackers.. how many did you have?

2 hours ago, KeKe82 said:

Aliana Wood.. how many days post op when you had the crackers.. how many did you have?

This was about 2.5 weeks post op, after full liquids ended and purees started. I had about 3 or 4 of them. Just regular ritz crackers. But of course, I have to put in the disclaimer, your results may vary and it’s always best to stick to the doctor’s plan.

Okay thanks for replying.