Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doesn’t matter what diet you follow, vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, etc., if you eat more than your body needs to function you will put on weight. It’s a sad but simple truth.

It doesn’t matter where your calories come from a calorie is a calorie (of course some calories come with better nutrients). You could eat a 2000 calorie burger, fries & soda meal & nothing else for the whole day or eat 2000 calories of lean Protein & vegetables but if your body only needs 1500 calories to function the extra 500 calories will be converted & stored as fat & you will put on weight.

If vegetarians cut out refined sugar, white flour, and breaded/fried things...it's a lot harder to overeat. I'm not 100% vegetarian, but I eat meat maybe twice a week. I've found that eliminating those three things from my diet...refined sugar, white flour, and fried stuff.....makes controlling my calories a LOT easier. But oh yeah....you can be a very chunky vegetarian if you have an unquenchable love for fresh bread, Desserts, unlimited nuts and dried fruit....easy ways to make calories skyrocket and your weight can easily get out of control. That said...fiber is your friend and vegetarians eat more Fiber, generally. Fiber slows the natural sugar down and increases the good gut bug diversity.

4 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

If vegetarians cut out refined sugar, white flour, and breaded/fried things...it's a lot harder to overeat. I'm not 100% vegetarian, but I eat meat maybe twice a week. I've found that eliminating those three things from my diet...refined sugar, white flour, and fried stuff.....makes controlling my calories a LOT easier. But oh yeah....you can be a very chunky vegetarian if you have an unquenchable love for fresh bread, Desserts, unlimited nuts and dried fruit....easy ways to make calories skyrocket and your weight can easily get out of control. That said...fiber is your friend and vegetarians eat more Fiber, generally. Fiber slows the natural sugar down and increases the good gut bug diversity.

To be honest, I was WFPBNOSS (whole foods plant based no oil, sugar, salt) for over a year and I lost some, but not nearly enough. Combined it with 1500 calories a day and lost a bit more, but then it stopped. Even took Saxenda and worked out with a trainer. Everytime my body just adjusted to the calories I was taking in. I think over a certain weight, its very hard to get back to normal weight. Read The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. Intermittent fasting or surgery is the only way out for some. WFPB makes me feel great though and I will never stop eating this way.

I think Dr. Jason Fung is a quack, and so does my bariatric surgeon. Edit: Didn't mean this to sound so rude, but it's my heartfelt opinion. My doctor has met him, wasn't impressed.

Edited by Creekimp13

No problem. I guess I'm referring to insulin resistance effect on different diets mentioned in the book. I certainly don't agree that the Keto he pushes is sustainable or healthy.

I fasted for a lot of my life eating only one or two meals a day. All it did for me was slow my metabolism to the point I’d basically maintain on a 900 calorie diet regardless of my weight & how much activity I did.

WLS boosted my metabolism & I eat more now then I ever have in my memory without gaining.

There’s research coming out now that supports that Keto should only be followed for a short period of time & it can cause erratic insulin levels especially in diabetics. My dietician had me follow it only for the 2+ weeks before my surgery. Surprisingly, I did lose about 5kgs but that high fat killed me - awful.

But as with everything, what works for me may not work for you. You may have to try different eating plans or devise your own to find what’s right for you.

There’s only one thing you can count on: if you eat more than you need you’ll gain.

I have been vegetarian (technically pescatarian as I eat canned tuna sometimes) for 12 years. Now post-op and seriously thinking of giving up on being a vegetarian. I don’t want to have to be reliant on Protein Shakes & processed Proteins, and I’m not a fan of Tofu 🤪

So, I’m going to start with chicken (Poultry) and see how it goes. (I actually became vegetarian as I had issues eating meat - it would get “stuck”…but it’s been so long, maybe my body has changed)

I love to travel - and if can eat basic proteins it will be much simpler.