Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I recently moved to soft foods, but noticed I wasn’t eating many carbs each day (less than 30 grams). Today I’ve had 10 grams. While I’m not looking to carb load, some carbs are healthy and needed (my program recommends less than 100 each day).

I’m just under three weeks post-op. Where did everyone get their carbs early on?

I'm on soft stage too. Mine seem to come from chili w/beans, my greek non fat yogurt, cottage cheese doubles, and unsweetened applesauce thus far. But I'm still under 30 most days too.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

I wouldn’t worry too much about carbs at this point. Protein, protein, protein now. Wait until you’re on more solid food & eating a little more. Generally 100g of carbs provides about 400 calories. 100g of protein provides about the same number of calories. That’s a hell of a lot considering the stage your at, the portion size you can consume & that your diet should be predominately protein at the moment. Maybe the less than 100g was something to work towards as you progress???

Also, carbs can be a bit heavy on your healing tummy. But of course everyone is different you may be able to tolerate them earlier. You need to look for whole grains & multi grains but don’t forget you’ll get a lot of good carbs from fruit & vegetables plus a lot of other nutrients. Lentils, barley, Beans are easy to throw into Soups, stews, etc. or cook them up, throw in some herbs & spices & they can be a yummy side as well. And of course I love my milky rolled oats.

Congrats on your surgery.

Some classic soft foods that are good for this would be oatmeal, cream of wheat, unsweetened apple sauce, refried Beans, greek yogurt, and mashed potatoes (lace them with some unflavored Protein Powder to help your Protein goals). As you noted, you don't need to do much carb loading, and it may be a while before you get toward 100 g, or even need to, but this will help with your energy levels (some surgeons specifically want their patients to do a bit of low level carb loading for this very reason.) As you have found, it can be hard to fit in much good, complex carbohydrate at this time (and some people actively avoid them owing to current diet fashions,) but that is part of why many experience low energy levels for quite a while after surgery. Most chalk it up to "you just had major surgery..." which is a factor, but mostly it is their diet.

On 06/10/2021 at 23:40, RickM said:

Some classic soft foods that are good for this would be oatmeal, cream of wheat, unsweetened apple sauce, refried Beans, greek yogurt, and mashed potatoes (lace them with some unflavored Protein Powder to help your Protein goals). As you noted, you don't need to do much carb loading, and it may be a while before you get toward 100 g, or even need to, but this will help with your energy levels (some surgeons specifically want their patients to do a bit of low level carb loading for this very reason.) As you have found, it can be hard to fit in much good, complex carbohydrate at this time (and some people actively avoid them owing to current diet fashions,) but that is part of why many experience low energy levels for quite a while after surgery. Most chalk it up to "you just had major surgery..." which is a factor, but mostly it is their diet.

Very helpful, thanks!

I recently moved to soft foods, but noticed I wasn’t eating many carbs each day (less than 30 grams). Today I’ve had 10 grams. While I’m not looking to carb load, some carbs are healthy and needed (my program recommends less than 100 each day).

I’m just under three weeks post-op. Where did everyone get their carbs early on?
I eat babel laughing cow cheese

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Some classic soft foods that are good for this would be oatmeal, cream of wheat, unsweetened apple sauce, refried Beans, greek yogurt, and mashed potatoes (lace them with some unflavored Protein powder to help your protein goals). As you noted, you don't need to do much carb loading, and it may be a while before you get toward 100 g, or even need to, but this will help with your energy levels (some surgeons specifically want their patients to do a bit of low level carb loading for this very reason.) As you have found, it can be hard to fit in much good, complex carbohydrate at this time (and some people actively avoid them owing to current diet fashions,) but that is part of why many experience low energy levels for quite a while after surgery. Most chalk it up to "you just had major surgery..." which is a factor, but mostly it is their diet.
I'm 1 month post op and I am now going through the low energy, dizziness, and not enough Water intake. Tired of fish, tuna, eggs, and chicken smh.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

my program was a balanced one vs one of the ultra-low-carb ones, but regardless, we were told to focus on Protein and fluids during the early weeks, since those are important for healing.

I lived on carbs. Still do. The trick is avoiding overly refined carbs. Avoid processed sugar and white flour like the plague. Avoid white rice. Carbs that are huge in my diet include Oatmeal, potatoes both white and sweet, brown rice, black Beans, beans of any kind really, eat beans they're nutritionally wonderful, chickpeas, whole fruit.

I count calories, get my protien and Fiber, but I never count carbs. A lot of my protien comes from plant based sources like potatoes and beans, so limiting unrefined carbs would never work for me.

Lot of different paths up the mountain. :)