Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Once a year for the rest of forever

Just had my annual Bariatric Team visit. At my clinic, we do this once a year for the rest of forever. Every year, we run a bunch of labs on Vitamin and nutrient absorption to make sure everything is still good, have a consult, answer a million questions for research, discuss any health concerns, and get weighed.

I was within half a pound of my weigh in last year. They were delighted. I was delighted.

I don't mind doing this, and I think it's extremely helpful to keep tabs on folks so that assistance can be offered as needed. I think monitoring nutrient absorption is a really good idea, too, since it can take a couple years to develop issues. How do other folk's bariatric groups handle distant post ops? Do they want ya'll to come once a year forever after that first year? I'm always curious how other clinics do things.

I just had surgery, but the hospital I go through does the same. For the 2 years I have a one month, three months, six month, 12 months, 18 months and then 24 months follow ups, and then it's once yearly for life to review lab work. They have already collected survey questions surrounding my personal feelings on my quality of life. My PCP is also through the hospital now, so my labs are all in one easy to access place for tracking for both my surgical team and my primary care. In addition to all that, they have support groups which are free and open to anyone, even if you didn't get surgery at the same hospital. That all being said, I did specifically pick the program I went with because of the follow up care, so I don't know that it's normal or anything.

So far I had follow up at two weeks, then another month, next is in three more months (which I am supposed to get labs drawn a week before). Idk what it will be after this but they did mention following up every year for labs.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Mines once a year as well once you’re a year out. Reminds me, I need to get my 2 year scheduled for august!

My clinic has the 1st yr follow ups... 1wk, 1mo, 3mo, 6mo, 12mo, then once a yr for life after that. They also have a newsletter they send each month with tips and great recipes, along with free weigh-ins each month+occasional motivational speakers that you can come and listen to for free.

I’m pre op but my surgeon’s office also does yearly follow up.

yearly labs and follow-up appts for life. If I'm too high or low on some nutrient, they'll adjust my dosage and re-check three months later. So the clinic is good about it - I don't know how many of the patients are good about keeping to this schedule, though...

12 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

yearly labs and follow-up appts for life. If I'm too high or low on some nutrient, they'll adjust my dosage and re-check three months later. So the clinic is good about it - I don't know how many of the patients are good about keeping to this schedule, though...

When I hear people talking about going out of country, or working with a single physician who isn't part of a group, I really wonder about who is doing follow up care. Particularly concerning are nutrient deficiencies that can take a while to develop, sometimes years. I hope people do their follow up care, particularly their labs...even if they're just rolling them into their annual with their GP if they are not following up with their surgeon/group. General practicianers can and will order the labs for you if you don't have a group to follow up with.

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

When I hear people talking about going out of country, or working with a single physician who isn't part of a group, I really wonder about who is doing follow up care. Particularly concerning are nutrient deficiencies that can take a while to develop, sometimes years. I hope people do their follow up care, particularly their labs...even if they're just rolling them into their annual with their GP if they are not following up with their surgeon/group. General practicianers can and will order the labs for you if you don't have a group to follow up with.

My wife and I went directly to the surgeon and he is not part of a bariatric clinic. He also has annual follow-ups just like your clinic. He does have us use our PCP to gather the labs that check for nutrient or other issues.

Edited by mswillis5

My surgery center does once a year for life but gave us a list of the labs in case we want to go to our PCP to get them done. I think that makes sense since some people may live far from the city, but I'm pretty close in. However, I work for a company that does labs so I have no choice but to get my labs done by my employer or my insurance won't cover it. I will just ask them to write a scrip for the right labs. I like that the surgery center makes a big deal out of how the psychologist and nutritionists are available too.

I just had surgery on 6/15, I will follow up with my GP with a letter from my surgeon. There are labs to be performed. My BP is already lower from losing pre-op weight and having surgery so I need to see my GP asap. I called the office before I went to vegas for VSG so they know what I am doing.

What happens if you move out of the area where your surgery center is? I don't plan to move but if I had to move near to my parents to help take care of them as they age, it would require a flight to get back to my surgery center. Would a different bariatric center be able to provide follow up care?

14 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

What happens if you move out of the area where your surgery center is? I don't plan to move but if I had to move near to my parents to help take care of them as they age, it would require a flight to get back to my surgery center. Would a different bariatric center be able to provide follow up care?

One good thing about COVID happening is that telehealth is much more common now. If I were you and this happens I would have your new primary care doc order labs at your annual visit and then send a copy to your surgery center and do telehealth appt with them.