Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deposit down! Surgery in Sept. 5'0" / 214

Hello! My name's Rachel. I'm 35, 5'0" & cw: 214. I've been trying for the past 5 months to get my (extremely good) insurance to cover a gastric sleeve for me, but they've been running me around like crazy. I've already spent 1k out of pocket, and they would make me wait at least a year to even be able to get it, and who knows how much it'd end up costing out of pocket in the US.

I ended up finding out about surgery in Tijuana and just put my deposit down for surgery on September 13th. The mental health alleviation of knowing it's on the horizon and I don't have to be on the phone with my insurance every other day crying is honestly worth paying out of pocket for me.

Is anyone else around my height / weight pre-surgery, and if so how are you doing in your journey?

Congratulations on your surgery date.

Congratulations, so exciting having a date to look forward to. I am 5ft 3 and around 205 lbs although I’ve been waving off so many foods this past few weeks I suspect my weight has creeped up.. my gastric sleeve is on 4 sept in the U.K. (also self funded). I’ve started nesting - ( buying lots of after surgery stuff, Vitamins, Proteins and reading a ton of stuff). Currently mentally prepping for my liver shrinkage 2 week diet in August. Can’t wait. Although it does sound like the first few weeks and month will be pretty tough.. goodluck with everything xx

On 6/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, rwhite85 said:

Hello! My name's Rachel. I'm 35, 5'0" & cw: 214. I've been trying for the past 5 months to get my (extremely good) insurance to cover a gastric sleeve for me, but they've been running me around like crazy. I've already spent 1k out of pocket, and they would make me wait at least a year to even be able to get it, and who knows how much it'd end up costing out of pocket in the US.

I ended up finding out about surgery in Tijuana and just put my deposit down for surgery on September 13th. The mental health alleviation of knowing it's on the horizon and I don't have to be on the phone with my insurance every other day crying is honestly worth paying out of pocket for me.

Is anyone else around my height / weight pre-surgery, and if so how are you doing in your journey?

Hi Rachel! I wish you all the best! I don't fit your criteria exactly but I'm same height+ starting weight. I hear they are very good in Mexico. I would advise you not to go on too many websites because I did that a couple of years ago and freaked myself out. The surgery is not painful. I only needed Tylenol the day after. The hardest part for me was week 3 & 4 with the hunger pains that were very real for me. But you will get through it. You will be so happy once you see the difference in your life.
Congratulations!

On 6/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, rwhite85 said:

Hi! My name is Kayla and I am 30, 5'0 and cw is 220 my surgery is scheduled for 9/7 in San Antonio, TX. For gastric bypass. They recommended that for me because of my acid reflux. I am also a cash customer because I don't have insurance at the moment (I will once I'm married). It cost me less to do cash then it is to pay for insurance and then all the fees. I have a few appointments coming up in August, seems like all at once! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm going on a last hurrah trip the next week to Aruba and then the pre-op diet will start at the end of August!

7 minutes ago, Kayla Joy said:

I'm jealous!! I live in Texas and want to go to the beach but I don't want to go morbidly obese so I think I'm gonna wait :(

i like swimming too much to let it bother me too much ;_;

i like swimming too much to let it bother me too much ;_;
Well Aruba would definitely be an exception haha I'd definitely be all over that! I am hoping for Florida next summer. I'm paying for my surgery with cash so hopefully I'm not super broke and can afford it! :)

Hi Rachel! Our stats are almost identical. :) My VSG procedure is in October and I'm a bit nervous and sooooo ready. Right now, I'm looking into weight training so that I can get a headstart on tightening up my skin.

Best of luck on your journey!

Yay congrats!! 😍 😍

2 hours ago, AjaSlimtone said:

Hi Rachel! Our stats are almost identical. :) My VSG procedure is in October and I'm a bit nervous and sooooo ready. Right now, I'm looking into weight training so that I can get a headstart on tightening up my skin.

Best of luck on your journey!

You’re smarter than me 😭😭 I’m trying to break free from the grasp of diet coke and that’s about it. I’ll be sure to post updated post surgery!