Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes and DS...

I am scheduled to have the Duodenal Switchnon August 10, 2021. I'm a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic on lots of meds. Just want to know if anyone was type 2 diabetic before the DS and no longer have it? My surgeon and primary care doctor both said the DS gives me the best chance (90%) at the diabetes going into remission.

If you were a diabetic before the DS, did the diabetes go away? Is it still there but off a lot of the meds? How long did it take? Please tell me your DS/Diabetic stories!

My wife was a twenty year diabetic, just short of being insulin dependent on about the strongest drug cocktail of the day when she had her DS, and it took her the better part of a year to be fully off of all meds for it, and 16 years later is still in solid remission. The doc told us that this is fairly typical, that the longer one has been diagnosed/under treatment, the longer it takes to fully go into remission. This is just a gross generalization, as we see many in these forums who walk out of the hospital free of meds and insulin with only a VSG or an RNY, so there can be a wide variety of responses.

Your DS, particularly the "traditional" BPD/DS, is indeed the strongest tool against diabetes - our doc's experience is in the 98-99% remission rate area, which should not be too surprising as it started as a surgical treatment specifically for diabetes, to which the sleeve was added to make it a weight loss procedure.

It also seems to be the most enduring procedure for it, as it seems to usually stay in remission even with a fair bit of regain, which happens sometimes, though less with the DS than with other WLS. A few years ago we had a gal come through our support group who had been a successful RNY patient for 20+ years, (the practice was not yet doing the DS at her time of surgery) but whose diabetes had come out of remission with only some moderate weight gain, so she was back to get her RNY revised to the DS to knock it out for good. So, it is an excellent first choice for a diabetic WLS patient.

Good luck in your adventure!

I do…I’m Type 2 diabetic for almost 8 years, but it has been under control. So, my surgeon decides that I need DS surgery ASAP because he wanted to see losing weight under 300 lbs. I will have my surgery on 7/6/21. Can’t wait!

Hi! I had the same concerns preop so I wanted to share my story with you. I have had type II diabetes for 11 years, insulin dependent for 4 years with approximately 6-8 injections per day, and high blood pressure. My surgeon told me that I would be discharged off all insulin/meds and that was a big factor in deciding to get the surgery or not. My PCP however warned me that I may still need insulin and that I may never be off of it completely. It really messed with my head and I almost canceled the surgery. I am 4 weeks post Loop DS surgery and I feel great! The doc discharged me from the hospital on steroids so I continued to take insulin for about 3 weeks post op, but he stopped all oral meds immediately. About a week ago I had my follow up and was told that as long as my blood sugar stays under 160 I can come off the insulin. Amazingly I have not had an insulin dose for 5 days now. As I add foods back into my diet that may or may not change, but I am confident now that I can reach my goal weight and stop feeling trapped by the insulin kit I carried with me everywhere. I have also had to stop my blood pressure meds as they were too strong and I am in normal range. I will say with absolute confidence this is the best thing I have ever done for myself. The biggest struggle I have faced is boredom with the Protein Shakes, and serious Constipation but honestly, small price to pay. I would encourage you to talk to your surgeon and endocrinologist about your concerns because it may not be an immediate fix, and I actually fully expect to possibly need some insulin as I add foods back into my diet. Going forward I am concentrating on low carb high Protein meals. I want to encourage you to do as much research as possible, but also let you know that for me, it was the best option to regain control of my health. I wish you luck and if you have any other questions just ask!