Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight did you lose before surgery?

Just curious, I'm wondering how much weight did you lose before surgery, and over what time period? So far I've lost 36 lbs over a little more than 4 months. Still don't have a surgery date!

I first started "dieting" on March 1st. Low carb/no sugar and lost 22.2lbs by May 8th. May 8th I started 11 days of liquid diet before surgery and I lost an additional 5.6 during that time. Since surgery day, May 19th, I have lost 11 more as of today. So, 38.8 total from March first until today, June 2nd.

I gained 5 pre-liver shrink overall and then lost 20 lbs on the shrink.

I lost about 70 pounds in the 5 months before my surgery.

I ate “normally” right up until the 2 week pre-op diet, so i didn’t lose (nor try to lose) any weight.

I did lose 11lbs during that 2 week pre-op diet though.

Sadly, I did not have the self control some of you have and I was actually gaining a little weight up until my pre-op diet of 16 days during which I lost 14 pounds. I participated in food funerals worried I wouldn’t be able to eat some things ever again which was not necessary at all because I am 12 weeks out and can eat darn near everything i ate pre surgery. I haven’t yet tried steak, rice or popcorn but I have tried everything else within reason. I have even tried pizza and Pasta in very small quantities and I tolerated them fine. The other things I haven’t tried is anything really greasy or real sugar. I don’t want to have them on my diet and I am pretty afraid of dumping which I’m sure will help me steer clear for quite a while.

51 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Sadly, I did not have the self control some of you have and I was actually gaining a little weight up until my pre-op diet of 16 days during which I lost 14 pounds. I participated in food funerals worried I wouldn’t be able to eat some things ever again which was not necessary at all because I am 12 weeks out and can eat darn near everything i ate pre surgery. I haven’t yet tried steak, rice or popcorn but I have tried everything else within reason. I have even tried pizza and Pasta in very small quantities and I tolerated them fine. The other things I haven’t tried is anything really greasy or real sugar. I don’t want to have them on my diet and I am pretty afraid of dumping which I’m sure will help me steer clear for quite a while.

I may have dieted before my surgery but the week before I had to start my liquid diet I DID have some of my favorites before the big day. I had pizza, a cheesesteak, cheese fries, pork fried rice, chicken lo mein, a certain cake that I make and love, Taco Bell and a few other things. That last week before the liquid diet was nuts!! LOL But I was also celebrating Mother's Day, my birthday and an anniversary during that time since all of those days fell in either the pre op diet phase or after surgery.

@SummerTimeGirl Yeah, I am afraid I might start some food funerals. I was planning to do Indian buffet when I visited my friend this weekend, but the buffets still aren't open due to COVID, so we ordered off the menu. I overate a little, but not nearly like before. Next weekend I'm going to my parents' house and we're going to my favorite restaurant and I know my brother is going to want to order every course, so that might be a lot too. The truth is that now that I'm eating more Protein and fewer carbs, I'm just not as hungry and I'm not as interested in a lot of junk food and sweets. My weight loss is definitely slowing down though.

I lost 57 lbs before surgery. I think it was around 18 lbs during the two-week pre-op diet (it's been awhile so I can't remember exactly). The rest was from the six-month supervised diet that my insurance company required.

My date shifted due to covid, and because of a huge amount of stress eating I actually put on quite a lot of weight in the four months before surgery... I lost about a stone on the pre op diet, in the two weeks immediately before surgery. I was (irrationally) afraid I wouldn't make it through the op, and got obsessed with liver shrinking. I'm glad I took it as seriously as I did, I had a lot of mental preparation time due to the covid delays, and am 100% sure that's what's helped me make a success of the tool 9 months down the line.

I didn't consciously do food funerals, but I had read lots about restriction and dumping and scared myself half to death worrying! Turns out I can eat almost anything and have almost no problem working around the small stomach when needed like in social situations, but before surgery I definitely had lots of 'this is my last EVER x' thoughts! This all added into my worry and I just ate loads. Now I don't even enjoy all the same stuff, so like many things we worry about it was absolutely wasted energy!

I dieted for four months on my 6 month supervised diet. (Let’s not talk about the first two months). I lost 57.8 lbs.

I dropped 40ish pounds before surgery. My surgeon didn’t require a strict prep diet. I know some have to do liquids. I just had to avoid certain foods and fats. Might be why my head is having such a time adjusting now, but I know what I’m feeling now is normal anyway. Keep looking forward to puréed foods next week so I can really kick it up a notch :)

I actually lost around 70 pre-op but I did over 50 of that on my own before I even met with the surgeon. I think when I met with the surgeon for the first time in late October I had lost around 53 lbs (COVID scared me so that’s what kickstarted me trying to lose weight). I lost close to another 20 after meeting with the surgeon but to be honest 10 of those were on the pre-op diet. I didn’t work as hard at trying to lose weight around the holidays as I wanted to enjoy and had some food funerals (didn’t stuff myself but didn’t restrict as much as I did prior to meeting with the surgeon).