Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my weight loss okay or slow?

Hi all, while my surgery went great I don't really have much contact with my doctor so I have to ask all of you kind people here :) I had my surgery on 3/17 and started off at around 225-230. Right now I'm at 191 lbs - is this normal? I monitor my weight loss and between May 2 and June 2 (full month) I lost 9.2 lbs. I would love to reach 120lbs one day, do you think this is possible? Based on information I found online (such as gastric sleeve calculators) my goal weight seems almost impossible! What are your thoughts? Thank you all for answers in advance! ❤️

I, personally, think you're doing great. Everyone loses at a different pace and you started out at a much lower weight than many on this site and yet are losing a good amount. I wouldn't worry so much. Also, those weight loss calculators are all about average statistics. That includes the people who don't follow the diet guidelines as well as the people who do. As long as you stick to the dieting guidelines and get your exercise in then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to meet your goal. I wish you the best on your journey!

Just now, NovaLuna said:

I, personally, think you're doing great. Everyone loses at a different pace and you started out at a much lower weight than many on this site and yet are losing a good amount. I wouldn't worry so much. Also, those weight loss calculators are all about average statistics. That includes the people who don't follow the diet guidelines as well as the people who do. As long as you stick to the dieting guidelines and get your exercise in then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to meet your goal. I wish you the best on your journey!

Thanks love! I am very strict with my diet, but unfortunately due to the nature of my job and a lack of time I haven't been able to get much exercise in :( I hope that changes by the end of this month!

2 minutes ago, fitgal2021 said:

Thanks love! I am very strict with my diet, but unfortunately due to the nature of my job and a lack of time I haven't been able to get much exercise in :( I hope that changes by the end of this month!

Just get what exercise in that you can. I'm partially disabled due to osteoarthritis and two back injuries so I can only get walking in 2-3x a week and that's it. Just do what you can and I'm sure you'll do great!

we normally just see big losses the first month, because that's mostly Water. And by "big loss", for most of us, that means 15-25 lbs (there are some who have bigger drops than that, but unless they're the size of people on "My 600 lb Life", it's not that common).

after the first month, a loss of 10 lbs a month (again, for the average WLS patient - NOT the people on TV) is pretty normal.

so in other words, you're fine.

I feel your frustration, I also have had very little contact with my surgeon and he has even pushed out my 3 months check up. I had my surgery on March 15th and I have lost nowhere what I expected to lose. Of course I’m happy I’m defo losing weight but I feel I’m behind where I should be. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a surgeon in a different field and the actually told me that losing slow and steady 1) is healthier for the body and 2) is much better for skin shrinking, meaning it’s better at preventing excess skin. So keep going, your doing great 😊