Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a good Protein Bar

I have been eating "Pure Protein" bars but I think there is something in it that is causing me to have a belly ache. Probably artificial sweeteners. I hate to give them up because they honestly taste like a candy bar. What is everyone else eating for Protein Bars? I am looking for something that actually tastes good, low in calories, and doesn't have artificial sweeteners (if there is any such thing).

I don't think you will find a Protein Bar that is low in calories, tastes good AND has no artificial sweeteners... because it's the artificial sweeteners that makes them taste good. I would recommend trying ones that have different artificial sweeteners, because you might react differently to different ones. I just recently tried the Atkins Smores bars and I love them, although I didn't realize they had almond butter in them (I'm not allergic, but I wouldn't have expected it since smores don't usually have almonds). They have 190 calories, so not low in calories. There's also Protein One bars, I think those are lower in calories (I had the strawberry flavored ones) but I didn't think they tasted as good, they were just "okay". You could always just eat half of the bar and put the other half in the fridge.

Good luck!

I'm a fan of the Costco/Kirkland Protein bars. They are 190 Calories with 21 g protein, 2 g sugar (slight variation from flavor to flavor). I like the Cookie Dough & Brownie flavors. I can't stand the Cookies & Cream.

As a backup, Luna, Atkins, or Pure Protein bars are OK. I'll eat them if I am out of costco bars.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 7.13.44 AM.png

2 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I don't think you will find a Protein Bar that is low in calories, tastes good AND has no artificial sweeteners... because it's the artificial sweeteners that makes them taste good. I would recommend trying ones that have different artificial sweeteners, because you might react differently to different ones. I just recently tried the Atkins Smores bars and I love them, although I didn't realize they had almond butter in them (I'm not allergic, but I wouldn't have expected it since smores don't usually have almonds). They have 190 calories, so not low in calories. There's also Protein One bars, I think those are lower in calories (I had the strawberry flavored ones) but I didn't think they tasted as good, they were just "okay". You could always just eat half of the bar and put the other half in the fridge.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

2 hours ago, billho said:

I'm a fan of the Costco/Kirkland Protein Bars. They are 190 Calories with 21 g Protein, 2 g sugar (slight variation from flavor to flavor). I like the Cookie Dough & Brownie flavors. I can't stand the Cookies & Cream.

As a backup, Luna, Atkins, or Pure Protein bars are OK. I'll eat them if I am out of costco bars.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 7.13.44 AM.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

The BariatricPal Store carries a huge selection of bariatric friendly Protein bars at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/protein-bars !

Here are some of the awesome protein bar brands they carry:

- BariatricPal

- Built Bar

- Convenient Nutrition

- Dive Bar Nutrition

- Epic

- HealthSmart Foods

- IQBar

- Keto Wise

- Kirkland

- Muscle Cheff

- Power Crunch

- Proti Diet

- Quest Nutrition

There are many different artificial sweeteners, and some of them can have side effects. I looked at the ingredients in the Pure Protein bars, and they are sweetened with maltitol, which is notorious for causing digestive discomfort. You may be able to eat protein bars that use different sweeteners without those digestive side effects. Here's a video with some good info on different types of artificial sweeteners:

And here's a good article summarizing the different types of artificial sweeteners:

https://www.sweetashoney.co/the-best-keto-friendly-sweeteners/

My personal favorite protein bars are Built Bars (which are sweetened with erythritol). I think they taste better than candy bars!

On 5/27/2021 at 1:44 PM, BigSue said:

There are many different artificial sweeteners, and some of them can have side effects. I looked at the ingredients in the Pure Protein Bars, and they are sweetened with maltitol, which is notorious for causing digestive discomfort. You may be able to eat Protein bars that use different sweeteners without those digestive side effects. Here's a video with some good info on different types of artificial sweeteners:

And here's a good article summarizing the different types of artificial sweeteners:

https://www.sweetashoney.co/the-best-keto-friendly-sweeteners/

My personal favorite Protein bars are Built Bars (which are sweetened with erythritol). I think they taste better than candy bars!

Wow thanks for this info.

10 hours ago, lekcir said:

Quest ones are good.the oreo for sure. Bought it at samsclub 14 bars 20 dollarsJPEG_20210529_220014_5265918973278122871.jpg JPEG_20210529_220026_3372295684547745854.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

What does the ingredients say for artificial sweeteners? I can't read it.

TY all for the suggestions. I recently tried the Atkins Protein Bar chocolate Peanut Butter. I love it and it hasn't made me have a belly ache. I don't eat them every day. Just a few times a week and so far so good.

Quest have been my go-to since pre op. HOWEVER, 1st Phorm makes a BOMB Protein bar too and I use those more now. LOVE them, only problem is they are so dang good that I have to really be disciplined to not just keep eating them...