Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possibly looking at revision; dumping syndrome

I'm possibly looking at revision from sleeve to RNY. Weight regain hasn't been too bad, but GERD and hiatal hernia are the reasons. I'm trying to find an upside besides not needing a prescription PPI and Tums for the rest of my life.....what about dumping. Sweets are a struggle with me. I can do it, but it isn't easy. Does anybody think it is a GOOD thing, that the fear of dumping is a deterrent? I think it would be but I'd love to hear from others that have actually had RNY. Thanks y'all.

only about 30% of RNYers dump, so the majority do not. However, yes - there are some people who consider dumping an advantage to help them control their sugar intake. Some are disappointed when it turns out they're one of the 70% who DON'T dump.

P.S. I've never dumped - although there have been times when I wish I did...

Edited by catwoman7

40 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

only about 30% of RNYers dump, so the majority do not. However, yes - there are some people who consider dumping an advantage to help them control their sugar intake. Some are disappointed when it turns out they're one of the 70% who DON'T dump.

I think I'd feel like you. I'd like to know I HAD to stop after bite #2 of whatever. I have a friend who knew she could eat five candy corn, #6 would be a deal breaker!! LOL

I have dumped a few times. I haven't in a while. I finally stopped doing it after the last bout was awful and I mean awful. I felt like I was dying and was very close to going to the ER. You will learn the easy way hopefully and not the hard way like me.

1 hour ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I have dumped a few times. I haven't in a while. I finally stopped doing it after the last bout was awful and I mean awful. I felt like I was dying and was very close to going to the ER. You will learn the easy way hopefully and not the hard way like me.

Thank you. If I do end up getting a revision, I will tip toe into solid foods. Dumping does not sound like a good time!! I appreciate your response!

3 hours ago, StratusPhr said:

Thank you. If I do end up getting a revision, I will tip toe into solid foods. Dumping does not sound like a good time!! I appreciate your response!

A lot of people say its from too much sugar. The first one was def from too much sugar. After that I don't know what it was from.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, catwoman7 said:

No you don't . lol

I am approaching revision to RNY performed in 1990. At that time the pouch was not cut away from the stomach, just stapled. The staple line failed, leaving a fistula between pouch and stomach. I eventually regained all I had lost. I didn't know that a revision was even possible until recently. I'm going to go for it!

I don't recall having severe dumping syndrome, but I did have my gallbladder removed at the same time as the gastric bypass, so that may have made a difference. I had more trouble with chest pressure from overeating, which led to upchucking for relief. It still happens once in a while with certain foods despite the faulty pouch.

I have already sworn off sugar and flour. After three months of abstinence, I don't get cravings often. I've accepted that I'm a food addict and any food containing sugar or flour is triggering. This is going to be a lifetime project because I don't want to regain what I will able to lose after having the revision. After I get past the post-surgery liquid/puree/soft food stage, I am also going to quit all sugar substitutes. They trigger me as badly as real sugar.

51 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

I am approaching revision to RNY performed in 1990. At that time the pouch was not cut away from the stomach, just stapled. The staple line failed, leaving a fistula between pouch and stomach. I eventually regained all I had lost. I didn't know that a revision was even possible until recently. I'm going to go for it!

I don't recall having severe dumping syndrome, but I did have my gallbladder removed at the same time as the gastric bypass, so that may have made a difference. I had more trouble with chest pressure from overeating, which led to upchucking for relief. It still happens once in a while with certain foods despite the faulty pouch.

I have already sworn off sugar and flour. After three months of abstinence, I don't get cravings often. I've accepted that I'm a food addict and any food containing sugar or flour is triggering. This is going to be a lifetime project because I don't want to regain what I will able to lose after having the revision. After I get past the post-surgery liquid/puree/soft food stage, I am also going to quit all sugar substitutes. They trigger me as badly as real sugar.

I have late dumping , hypoglycemia , Triggered by large amounts of processed sugar or alcohol sugars. Very symptomatic / scary but treatable and avoidable . Glad I still have my old blood glucose monitor ! :) Best wishes.

Edited by Slownstedy

The dumping keeps me honest, but I have found that some things don't cause me to dump. It's not a good feeling when you're all sweaty, your stomach hurts and you have gas that you can't trust 100%. I find though, that eating anything super greasy is way worse.

i try to avoid anything greasy and anything with a lot of sugar in it (super vanilla-y things really hurt my stomach). It's really not as bad as people think, but you have to absolutely stop when you're full because any sort of over-full feeling is so horrible feeling. I truly avoid that with all my might. even if I have 2 bites left on my plate, it stays there because i'd rather waste that bit of food than hate myself for the next hour and feel sick.

Honestly, I chose the bypass over the sleeve because of the heartburn and the potential to gain weight back easier (from my understanding/observation) but def talk with your doctor about this. I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you. :)

1 hour ago, Melanie Kirk said:

I dump 6 years post op. Aweful feeling

In six years I'm surprised you haven't figured out what foods cause you to get dumping syndrome and avoid them. Most people figure it out the first year post-surgery. Have you tried making journal entries when it happens?

It's been only 15 weeks since my surgery. I have not dumped yet. I'm trying to avoid anything near dumping.

I can eat cottage cheese with about 5 ounces of pineapple without dumping. I eat this as a daily treat.

The threat of dumping is a real incentive to avoid the sweet or greasy foods. I used to be able to eat half a pecan pie over the course of a day. I don't think I've had any since surgery. A box of donuts was also a threat to my weight and health. If everyone in the family had two, That would leave 8 for me. Now I don't bring them home.

I hope I won't have any incidents to report a year from now.