Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating on a Cross-Country Road Trip

Hi all,

I am just 2 months post-surgery and am about to go on a cross-country road trip. I'll officially be on solid foods, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for how to eat well when the only thing I'll have is a small cooler? I know I can do some lunch meat, cheese stick, etc. but I was also hoping for any advice on high Protein or healthy snacks/meals that won't require any type of refrigeration. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

If you can eat nuts, those are great, unless you would eat too many of them. I buy pistachios in the shell so it takes longer to eat them. You can buy individual small packs. Also, you can buy Protein Drinks that don't have to be refrigerated until they are opened. Same with Protein Water. So you would only have to keep the open one in the cooler. Also, you can stop at places like 7-11 and they have cheese and eggs and protein drinks all available (I'm pre-surgery still, but when I travel I stop there for my Breakfast protein drink). You can also keep some meat Snacks (like cured sausages) at room temp. Tomatoes can stay out for a few days if they're not sliced, so grape or cherry tomatoes would work (not sure if you can eat those yet?). Maybe protein chips? I haven't tried those, but I know some people like them.

Two Good Greek yogurt [12 g protein/3 g carbs], Whisps cheese chrisps [12 g protein/1 g carbs are my go to Snacks right now. They are filling and satisfying!

I haven't done a cross country road trip, but I travel weekly for work. One of my "go-to's" has been Chipotle bowls. I'll often buy one the first day of travel and then eat on it for another day or two (honestly, depending on my mood). I just order whatever's on plan (skip the rice for example), eat a small portion, seal it back up and move on... You could buy a couple of small tupperware type bowls as well (i bought a bunch of cheap ones @ Walmart that I often just toss when I'm done). Now... I don't mind eating those leftovers cold... so...

If you're going with anyone else - my husband and I just share a meal since I can usually only eat a few bites. Grilled chicken, salmon are always popular for us. Also, if you're eating out, appetizers can be a great tool (especially if you don't mind eating cold leftovers). Another fave early on was canned Soups (the kind you just pop off the lid and into the microwave).

I spend a great deal of time in the tractor and I am in love with Fuel for Fire Protein packs! I love the flavor and the how easy they are to pack and eat on the go!!!!

https://www.fuelforfire.com

13 hours ago, Liz B. said:

Hi all,

I am just 2 months post-surgery and am about to go on a cross-country road trip. I'll officially be on solid foods, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for how to eat well when the only thing I'll have is a small cooler? I know I can do some lunch meat, cheese stick, etc. but I was also hoping for any advice on high Protein or healthy snacks/meals that won't require any type of refrigeration. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I definitely had to bring non perishable foods and shakes to fill in the gaps instead of stopping at every gas station during road trips.

But there will be times you want to sit and eat. I often picked my meals entirely from side items, lighter/smart choice sections and in a pinch kids meals.

I went on a two day road trip with my sister this last weekend. I brought Protein Shakes, yogurt, graham crackers, Protein Bars, nuts, banana's, and applesauce for Snacks. We ate out twice and the first time I got a salad that lasted me for both lunch and dinner and the second time (on the way home) we stopped at Red Robin's and I got a chicken sandwich and fries that lasted me for three meals lol (I'm not used to eating bread because of my wheat allergy, but Red Robin's has an allergy friendly menu if you tell them you have an allergy so they can take measure so that you don't get cross contamination on your food and they have gluten free Buns and fries if you ask and I got full after eating only a third of the sandwich and four fries). Admittedly, road trips aren't easy with diet restrictions, but it IS possible to work around them and find things that you can eat.

My surgery was Jan 28th. I did a week trip & my husband & I share a meal. I tried to order a meal but I can't do it. I ate on that meal for 2 days b4 I have it to my husband. But I found out that BEEF Jerky was good on top of everything else everybody said. I keep Protein Shakes, crystal light, lots of bottle Water & a 20oz shake cup w me @ all times. I do buy the Protein bars to eat when I don't hv an appetite.

Good luck w ur trip & hv fun!!