Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone here avid swimmers? It’s my go to exercise. I swim at least 4 times a week. I do it for the cardio and the strength training. Does anyone else use this as their principles exercise? I’ve noticed it’s helped tone so much! Really happy to be able to swim.

I love to swim, but the pool in my building is still closed due to COVID. To be honest, I didn't use it that much when it was open because it's tiny and really cold. However, I recently went on vacation and swam almost every day and I realized how much I missed it. I think they are opening the pool soon and I'm going to try to swim again, at least until my surgery, then I'll have to wait until my wounds heal.

Where I live, no one ever uses it. It’s like my own pool (and it still is cleaned by a company). I hope yours opens soon. I waited until 3 months after surgery, so my wounds were fully healed.

I’m the same as you. I never realized how much I miss and love it. Plus it burns so many calories and builds muscle. My pool has been coldish when you first go in but after I get going, it’s really nice. I hope yours warms up, wherever you are. :) I’m in Florida so I was able to start in March.

I always feel so good and relaxed after and it gives me a sense of well being. I know that sounds weird but it really does.

I'm in Boston, so ours is indoors, but it's cold anyway. Like you said, it's okay once you get started, although in the winter it can be pretty chilly to get yourself in there! It's usually empty, but it's so small that if there's even one other person in it you can't really use it. You sort of have to swim diagonally to swim laps, and even then, you really can't build up any speed. There's a YMCA not too far from me, and I have taken a swim aerobics class there, but it seems like I'm more likely to use the pool that's right in my building. Especially since the Y is pretty pricy!

I was a lap swimmer for years. I still do Water aerobics occasionally (now that I can again (I didn't during the worst of the pandemic), I do that 1-2x a week), but I really haven't done laps regularly in a few years. Not sure how/why I got out of that habit - I always enjoyed it as well. My main exercise now is cycling - although that doesn't always work in the winter!

I have a bike but I’ve not really ridden that much. I think because I still feel self conscious about my big butt on it.
Hopefully in another 20lbs or so, I will start incorporating it as well. I did laps today and got a bit sunburned.

I have a bike but I’ve not really ridden that much. I think because I still feel self conscious about my big butt on it.
Hopefully in another 20lbs or so, I will start incorporating it as well. I did laps today and got a bit sunburned.

6 hours ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

Oh no! I haven't gotten sunburned while in the pool (I mean, on vacation, our pool is indoors and dreary), but I only swim about half an hour.

I don't think most people are even conscious about other people when they are out and about... I know when I am driving I don't notice what the cyclists look like, just want to be careful not to hit them! And when I'm walking, I'm just checking that they don't hit me...

I love swimming and can't wait to go. It just started warming up here in NH so it won't be long. Before the WLS I was super embarrassed to wear a bathing suit in public. Now I bought 2 really cute suits and can't wait to wear them.

@healthylifestyle Same! I am actually wearing a two piece now! First time in my life!

@stloser It’s my favorite thing too! I always feel so good after. It’s like a tired feeling but happy. Ha ha. Don’t know how to describe it.

@healthylifestyle Same! I am actually wearing a two piece now! First time in my life!
@stloser It’s my favorite thing too! I always feel so good after. It’s like a tired feeling but happy. Ha ha. Don’t know how to describe it.
Yes! I totally get what you're saying. It's so different from other exercise. You feel tired, but so good!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

It is a comfortable, fun exercise that is enjoyable to do. I hate being in the gym. I would rather be outside in the sun getting some exercise in nature.

It is a comfortable, fun exercise that is enjoyable to do. I hate being in the gym. I would rather be outside in the sun getting some exercise in nature.

Oh, yeah, that reminds me! That's the biggest thing I hate about other exercise. I can't stand sweating! With swimming you don't have to worry about that!

9 hours ago, STLoser said:

Oh, yeah, that reminds me! That's the biggest thing I hate about other exercise. I can't stand sweating! With swimming you don't have to worry about that!

Hey that's right! I never even thought about it that way. LOL