Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update On Me (Surgery: 5/19/21)

UPDATE:
Just wanted to give a quick update on the inches I lost. So, I took my measurements today and since the beginning of May I have lost a total of 29.8 inches!!! The breakdown looks like this:

May to June I lost: 16.8 inches
June to July I lost: 5.3 inches
July to August I lost: 7.7 inches

Some of the biggest inches lost were.............

5 inches off my hips
3 in my breasts
7 in my stomach

I also contacted my surgeon's office and asked about the ProCare branch One A Day Multi-Vitamin. I read about it here and was curious if my office would say it fit or not into my program/dietary needs. Looking at the nutritional values I was also curious about not having to take the extra B1, B12, Calcium and Iron. All supplements I buy and take as extras right now as the Flintstones chewables don't provide enough.

My office said that it looked good and that I also would NOT have to take extra B1, B12, Iron (I got the Multivitamin with 45 mg of iron) or Calcium as it provides more than enough! So that's great to hear. My hope was to eventually be taking less meds/supplements/vitamins and now I am. I will have my first post surgery blood work drawn at the end of the month, beginning of next month and see how I fare in that department. Fingers crossed there is a great improvement.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

On 5/23/2021 at 11:33 PM, SummerTimeGirl said:

Just wanted to fill people in on what my experience has been like thus far since surgery. If you want to know something I forgot to mention, please don't hesitate to ask.

HOSPITAL STAY:
So I had my surgery May 19th around 10:30 am. I was in recovery and waking up by 11:45 am. All that went smoothly.

The first day I was so dang tired that I drifted off and on while sitting in the chair in-between walking around and drinking. I felt bad for my husband who stay with me all day. He was totally content and happy to be there but I knew he too was tired so about 7pm I made him go home (visiting hours ended at 8 anyway). LOL

When I first got to my room I was like, OMG I have HORRIBLE burning like heartburn and even complained about it. They gave me some sort of Gas chew and it didn't do jack. It wasn't until I got up and walking around that I figured out it was NOT heartburn but related to that gas inside and the walking helped that feeling subside.

They gave me nothing but Water or Gatorade Zero while there and I was totally fine and content with that. They mentioned medicine if I was nauseous but I never was. I felt totally fine and normal but for the one incision site that's to the right and up from my belly button. Doc said that's the typical complaint spot and where he pulls the extra stomach through so that's to be expected. But it hurt like hell when first standing from sitting and also wiping after peeing. Uggghhh. I slept in a chair sitting up that night when I could sleep which really only amounted to 3 hours total.

I was given Tylenol for pain and an Oxycodone once on that first night. They sent me home with the Oxycodone too for pain and so far I have only taken it once at night to help with that pain while sleeping.

The next morning they took more blood work and everything came back good and they allowed me to go home by early noon. Mostly because my pain was managed by meds and because I was easily able to get enough Water down and I was not sick.

Also, I did not pack much but I did pack my cell phone, charger, kindle, Biotene, Chapstick, brush, toothpaste and toothbrush, extra underwear and that was it. I did not use ANYTHING but for my brush and, right after surgery, put on my own undies and a pad since I got my period the day before surgery. I did not even use my cell phone (maybe once to post here) cause I was just so dang tired (plus trying to get my liquids in and walking) and hubby did all the updating to others for me. I mostly watched TV as it was on for background noise more than anything.

MOVING AROUND:
Every day is getting better but this dang incision spot is a ******!!! Can't wait for it to stop hurting cause I'm really tired of sleeping sitting up. I tried every way possible to lay down and it's just not possible! The dang area feels like it's burning and tearing apart when I do. Otherwise I'm following orders and walking around. I do not feel I still have a lot of gas issues but I most definitely feel like I am swollen about my stomach area for sure.

APPEARANCE:
I was actually surprised at how weird my stomach looked after surgery. Normally my stomach is smooth/one size all over and flat/round-ish (except for my little fat pouch right under my left breast that's been there forever). But upon looking at my stomach after surgery, I feel like some spots are like poofed out and others dented in, if that makes sense. Especially the bad incision spot. Strange. Not sure how else to explain it. Today is day 4 and it looks like I'm starting to bruise around most, if not all, incisions. Just slightly.

FOOD/WATER:
So my after diet consists of 2 weeks FULL liquids, followed by 1 week PUREE, and 2 weeks SOFT FOODS, then finally normal foods. Strange enough, I have had NO problem getting in 64 oz of liquid at all. I've had no chest pain, full feeling or sickness. A few times I had what feels like if you drink too much how it creates a sorta air bubble that hurts for a split second but then it passes. Otherwise, no issues. In fact, a few times after trying to drink/gulp like I normally would, I had to stop and remind myself that I no longer could do that. So weird cause I feel, aside from the incision pain, I would never know I even had surgery. So right now since all I've been able to ingest is liquids, I'm not sure if this is gonna be a blessing or an issue. On one hand I'm glad I can seem to "eat" and drink normal and also have had no aversions to taste. But on the other hand, I worry that will not help me in the long run to lose weight. This remains to be seen but I am scared I won't lose for this reason.

So far I've had Protein Shakes, water, Gatorade Zero, the broths from creamed Soups, sugar free popsicles and that's it.

MEDICINE:
I was told I wouldn't be able to swallow anything bigger than a tictac. That was a lie. I have been able to swallow all my pills, even the big ol Metformin, with no issue.

POTTY:
Had my first BM on my second day home. Had several a day since. No problems there either.

WEIGHT:
Not that I expected anything yet but, I have gotten on the scale and it's the same as it was the day of surgery.

I think that's it. Can't think of anything else right now but if you have any questions please ask.

Thank you so so much, my surgery is next week and getting nervous but excited, great rad. Take care x

On 5/23/2021 at 6:33 PM, SummerTimeGirl said:

Just wanted to fill people in on what my experience has been like thus far since surgery. If you want to know something I forgot to mention, please don't hesitate to ask.

HOSPITAL STAY:
So I had my surgery May 19th around 10:30 am. I was in recovery and waking up by 11:45 am. All that went smoothly.

The first day I was so dang tired that I drifted off and on while sitting in the chair in-between walking around and drinking. I felt bad for my husband who stay with me all day. He was totally content and happy to be there but I knew he too was tired so about 7pm I made him go home (visiting hours ended at 8 anyway). LOL

When I first got to my room I was like, OMG I have HORRIBLE burning like heartburn and even complained about it. They gave me some sort of Gas chew and it didn't do jack. It wasn't until I got up and walking around that I figured out it was NOT heartburn but related to that gas inside and the walking helped that feeling subside.

They gave me nothing but Water or Gatorade Zero while there and I was totally fine and content with that. They mentioned medicine if I was nauseous but I never was. I felt totally fine and normal but for the one incision site that's to the right and up from my belly button. Doc said that's the typical complaint spot and where he pulls the extra stomach through so that's to be expected. But it hurt like hell when first standing from sitting and also wiping after peeing. Uggghhh. I slept in a chair sitting up that night when I could sleep which really only amounted to 3 hours total.

I was given Tylenol for pain and an Oxycodone once on that first night. They sent me home with the Oxycodone too for pain and so far I have only taken it once at night to help with that pain while sleeping.

The next morning they took more blood work and everything came back good and they allowed me to go home by early noon. Mostly because my pain was managed by meds and because I was easily able to get enough Water down and I was not sick.

Also, I did not pack much but I did pack my cell phone, charger, kindle, Biotene, Chapstick, brush, toothpaste and toothbrush, extra underwear and that was it. I did not use ANYTHING but for my brush and, right after surgery, put on my own undies and a pad since I got my period the day before surgery. I did not even use my cell phone (maybe once to post here) cause I was just so dang tired (plus trying to get my liquids in and walking) and hubby did all the updating to others for me. I mostly watched TV as it was on for background noise more than anything.

MOVING AROUND:
Every day is getting better but this dang incision spot is a ******!!! Can't wait for it to stop hurting cause I'm really tired of sleeping sitting up. I tried every way possible to lay down and it's just not possible! The dang area feels like it's burning and tearing apart when I do. Otherwise I'm following orders and walking around. I do not feel I still have a lot of gas issues but I most definitely feel like I am swollen about my stomach area for sure.

APPEARANCE:
I was actually surprised at how weird my stomach looked after surgery. Normally my stomach is smooth/one size all over and flat/round-ish (except for my little fat pouch right under my left breast that's been there forever). But upon looking at my stomach after surgery, I feel like some spots are like poofed out and others dented in, if that makes sense. Especially the bad incision spot. Strange. Not sure how else to explain it. Today is day 4 and it looks like I'm starting to bruise around most, if not all, incisions. Just slightly.

FOOD/WATER:
So my after diet consists of 2 weeks FULL LIQUIDS, followed by 1 week PUREE, and 2 weeks SOFT FOODS, then finally normal foods. Strange enough, I have had NO problem getting in 64 oz of liquid at all. I've had no chest pain, full feeling or sickness. A few times I had what feels like if you drink too much how it creates a sorta air bubble that hurts for a split second but then it passes. Otherwise, no issues. In fact, a few times after trying to drink/gulp like I normally would, I had to stop and remind myself that I no longer could do that. So weird cause I feel, aside from the incision pain, I would never know I even had surgery. So right now since all I've been able to ingest is liquids, I'm not sure if this is gonna be a blessing or an issue. On one hand I'm glad I can seem to "eat" and drink normal and also have had no aversions to taste. But on the other hand, I worry that will not help me in the long run to lose weight. This remains to be seen but I am scared I won't lose for this reason.

So far I've had Protein Shakes, water, Gatorade Zero, the broths from creamed Soups, sugar free popsicles and that's it.

MEDICINE:
I was told I wouldn't be able to swallow anything bigger than a tictac. That was a lie. I have been able to swallow all my pills, even the big ol Metformin, with no issue.

POTTY:
Had my first BM on my second day home. Had several a day since. No problems there either.

WEIGHT:
Not that I expected anything yet but, I have gotten on the scale and it's the same as it was the day of surgery.

I think that's it. Can't think of anything else right now but if you have any questions please ask.

Great detail. Thanks for that. My surgery is in a few weeks and I am gathering as much information as possible so I know what to expect. Good luck!

On 5/24/2021 at 2:46 PM, SummerTimeGirl said:

Small update.

FOOD:
So last night I has some sugar free pudding, since that's on my list, and did fine with it. Today I had some Light Greek, Nonfat vanilla Yogurt. Had about 4 ounces in about 3 minutes and felt fine. Again I worry about this because yeah, I understand not having restriction with liquids but this? I'd think since there was/is more substance to it it would be different. Hope I'm wrong.

CRAVINGS:
Strange enough, can't say that I've been too hungry or starving or anything, considering I've only had liquids for like 3 weeks straight now....lol, but at times I do feel hungry. And during those times I find myself craving lots of strange things. Some of it is stuff I don't even eat like steak and liverwurst. Most of my cravings have been about meats and salads. Can't wait to have both!!!

SLEEPING:
A lil progress. I was able to lay flat and sleep in bed without too much pain and today I woke up feeling even better. I have been icing my stomach regularly for the last two days. Wondering if that's been helping?

Thanks for the update

On 8/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, Sue swapping over said:

Thank you so so much, my surgery is next week and getting nervous but excited, great rad. Take care x

5 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Great detail. Thanks for that. My surgery is in a few weeks and I am gathering as much information as possible so I know what to expect. Good luck!

Best of luck to the both of you!!!!!!

On 5/31/2021 at 10:23 AM, SummerTimeGirl said:

UPDATE:
12 days post op and yesterday was NOT a good day. We were invited over to friends/neighbors for a BBQ and while the rest of my family went, I declined. Just wasn't ready to be around all the food and drinking (plus I can't always get comfortable sitting on the sofa let alone a camp chair). If perhaps I was out of this stupid liquid stage and into the puree or soft foods phase I would have. At least then I could have found SOMETHING to eat and participate in. Who knows. But after everyone was over there for several hours having a good time, I had myself a good cry and pitty party and asked my husband when he was coming home. He asked if I was ok and needed something I told him no. That I was just feeling bored and left out. He came home right away. I felt bad but he didn't mind, he said, cause he had already been there like 6 hours. Anyway, it was a bad day. He was asking why I was crying and upset and I just said I didn't know. I guess it was just the feeling left out that got to me and feeling hungry and not being satisfied any longer with these stupid freakin' limited liquids!! I've had enough of it!! Just can't wait to move on to the next food phase!

My second issue is sleep. Still can't sleep on my sides and sitting up/semi up has my back jacked up now. And now I keep getting that tugging/burning feeling BELOW my belly button. A place that hadn't bothered me previously and a spot, to my knowledge, they didn't even touch.

And lastly, I'm already wigging out that this isn't working/gonna work for me. I am only down like 7lbs since surgery and feel like I should have lost more. I know everyone is different. And I know people say it's early but, I DO NOT feel like I am dealing with that gas issue any longer and haven't since day 4/5, roughly. I can see it in my legs that I am not bloated and feel back to normal but for this burning/tugging stomach crap. So, considering I have been doing low/no carb/no sugar since March 1st and having the surgery May 19th, I would have expected to lose more than I have so far. I guess I'm just worried I'm going through all this for nothing and I won't lose as per usual. I mean, you would think if a body only had liquids for nourishment for almost 4 feakin weeks (and only roughly 400 calories a day) that the body would most definitely be losing weight. Of course, not me. SMH I can hear Dr. Now, now...."At your weight, in a mont, you should have lost turdy pounds by now". LOL I seriously hope I'm wrong and things move soon. I don't feel like this is that stall everyone talks about because I haven't really even begun the dang losing phase yet let alone be in a stall.

Anyway, rant over.

It has been a while since you posted this and I trust you have moved past and are doing better. Good insight into what I may see. I love your thread here....

On 6/6/2021 at 11:37 AM, ShoppGirl said:

I don’t think I tried quite as much as you but if you chewed it to the consistency of purée your body would react to it the same as purée. I did not feel restriction untill the soft food stage. That being said I still for the most part at what they said I should for each stage but when I did push it a bit I worried that I was not going to have the restriction but as everyone said it kicked in during the soft food stage. Just stick to plan portions and be patient. The restriction will come.

Very helpful. I was not aware that the restriction is delayed. I think that will put me at ease for the first 3 weeks if I do not experience a quckly full stomach. Such good information I am gathering on this forum.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I had a similar experience in that nothing really gave me trouble during the purée/soft food/regular food stages. I am able to eat salad, chicken breast, raw veggies, etc with no problems at all about 7 months out, and have been able to for months.

One thing that I really have been focused on is that my program gave me a surgery and a plan, and I need to stick to it as much as possible. My one piece of advice about 6 or so months ahead is to stick to your plan and try to avoid “testing” your surgery as much as possible. It’s a slippery slope, especially in the early weight loss phase.

This is good advice. I was watching Youtube videos last week from a guy called Dr Vuong. He is pretty eccentric and out there but his stuff does ring true. He mentioned what he called "chasing your sleeve" meaning that you should not test it....or eat up to the restriction then eat a little bit more. He explains how doing this will change your restriction and allow you to eat more.

On 6/24/2021 at 11:59 AM, lizonaplane said:

It's awesome to lose more than 20 lbs in just over a month. Were you expecting to lose a pound a day??? That's crazy! You're doing great! Thanks for sharing your story.

Great point. I am scheduled for surgery in a few week and I am wondering the same thing. I guess my expectation was that the weight will be much more rapid although my brain tells me that is unrealistic. The weight went on pretty slowly over a long period of time so 10-15 pounds a month is pretty damned good. That mean over 100 pounds in a year.

On 6/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, FutureSylph said:

I suspect those pounds are a special bouncy kind that come back as quickly as they fall off. 😉 Try to aim for steady loss instead, that's my advice (not that you asked for any).

I really appreciate this thread and its details. Very welcome reading for pre-oppers. Many thanks!

Great point

13 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

It has been a while since you posted this and I trust you have moved past and are doing better. Good insight into what I may see. I love your thread here....

Yes, if you're talking about the weight. I will be 3 months out on the 19th and have lost 70 lbs since March and 52 lbs since surgery day. I seem to be losing steadily. For a while there I was having stalls but I THINK it was due to NOT eating enough Protein and possibly not enough calories either. So now I make it a point to get in enough of both and all seems to be going well so far.

11 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Very helpful. I was not aware that the restriction is delayed. I think that will put me at ease for the first 3 weeks if I do not experience a quckly full stomach. Such good information I am gathering on this forum.

Yeah I didn't really know either. I guess I just never really thought about it but it made sense when others explained it. And yes, once I started in the other stages that involved more food, I started to feel the restriction.

UPDATE:
Just wanted to post a small observation. So, since March I have lost 71 lbs total. Well I finally was able to try on some new pants and sadly, I only fit into the next size down. It fits me good. Not too loose or too tight. Just right.

Strange because you'd think with 71lbs down you would have lost several sizes (plus I lost 7 inches off my waist and 5 off my hips). Or at least I think like that. LOL Guess not. I guess it also means what I already knew, that I carry a LOT of my weight around my mid section.

7 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Strange because you'd think with 71lbs down you would have lost several sizes (plus I lost 7 inches off my waist and 5 off my hips). Or at least I think like that. LOL Guess not. I guess it also means what I already knew, that I carry a LOT of my weight around my mid section.

It could also mean that there's no standardization among sizes, especially for women's clothing. Tends to hold true that the more expensive the garment, the smaller the size tag the manufacturer puts on it.

Congratulations on your tremendous accomplishment -- 71 pounds is a lot!

7 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

UPDATE:
Just wanted to post a small observation. So, since March I have lost 71 lbs total. Well I finally was able to try on some new pants and sadly, I only fit into the next size down. It fits me good. Not too loose or too tight. Just right.

Congratulations on your 71lb loss! That is amazing!!! I'm with you - I can gain or lose 50lbs and still be in nearly the same size. Granted, 50lbs smaller and the size I am currently in is a bit looser and when I was at the top of that weight range it was a squeeze. But, still! Very frustrating for sure. I think this is where counting those inches like you are doing really pays off. I read a thread on here the other day about this topic and it seemed that once folks get into the lower of their weight range goals 10lbs or so seems to equal a size. My surgery is in five days (fingers crossed!) and I have been thinking a lot about this, too, and how I can keep myself motivated because I know my sizes won't drop quickly in the beginning.