Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie in the pre-surgery, evaluation/checking boxes stage of things. Tomorrow morning I'm having an exercise evaluation and frankly this is stressing me out more than any other test or evaluation. I worry that my knee is gonna buckle going up and down the stairs at my house much less put me through my paces at a gym! Has anyone had one of these evaluations before? What should I expect? They didn't tell me to dress to work out or anything (but I am) but I have no idea what's going to go on. Can I fail this? Obviously I'm not an "exerciser" or my bmi wouldn't be 45! Anyway - just trying to vent some nervous energy. If anyone can offer any insight it would be greatly appreciated. TIA...

Lara

Edited by ZhivagosGirl

Hi Lara! I was worried about my exercise eval as well. Basically they ask you a lot of questions about your current activity level and any difficulties you have doing different exercises. They check your heart rate and they had me walk up and down a hallway several times to check my heart rate during exercise. I would wear a good pair of gym shoes fit walking and comfy pants bc they check your range of motion. I was told you can’t fail, but they could recommend that you participate in several exercise classes prior to approval. Think of it as an evaluation rather then a test. They pretty much just recommend exercises for pre op and post op and try to prepare you for what needs done before and what to expect after. Don’t be nervous, just be you and be honest and you will be fine! I hope tomorrow you will post that it wasn’t as bad as you though it might be 😉
Good luck!

I didn't have that - in fact, this was the first time I've read/heard about an exercise eval, but I can't imagine anyone would fail it. A lot of obese people don't exercise or don't exercise enough, so you're in good company. They probably just want to see where you're at, and like someone said, have you start an exercise program prior to surgery.

Well - lots of worry for nothing... It really wasn't an evaluation. It was more of a "how to" exercise class for about 20 mins. Then my second meeting of the morning was the nutrition evaluation which was like an hour of drinking from a fire hose! Again - not really an evaluation, but tons of information as to what to expect starting with the liver shrinking liquid diet through all the phases to maintenance. Thankfully they gave me a book with everything we talked about. Next week is the psych eval and then hopefully I'll get my date for surgery (well, after we write them a big fat check). Hopefully the end of June/beginning of July.