Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Performance/athletic bariatric nutritionist

I was sleeved this past Sunday 5/16, and everything is going great. My program has a nutritionist aspect attached, but I'm interested in finding a third party nutritionist who will help me focus on my specific goals and needs after I am given the clearance to pursue a regular diet and full activity.

I'm 41, and I was sleeved at 334. I am not diabetic, and have no co-morbidities aside from mild hypertension and hyperlipidemia. I've been active as a powerlifter, as well as having run 2 half marathons (albeit at a non-healthy weight). I am interested in working with a nutritionist/dietician who will be part of a team to help me to maintain the strength I have, while losing excess body fat, and increasing my work and aerobic capacity.

Anyone have any recommendations for online/zoom nutrition counseling that might fit this need?

Thanks!

Our program didn't have an RD at the time, so I was mostly winging it by reading and using common sense *what we know we should be doing, dietwise.) I did consult a couple of times with a fitness oriented RD that was associated with our PCP who did give some useful advice, combining my needs, her experience and the surgeon's program guides.

One of the good reads that I found were some books by Dr. Michael Colgan, who is a sports nutritionist. Particularly useful is his Sports Nutrition Guide (All New! - as of twenty years ago, but nutrition science hasn't changed that much over time, only "diet science" changes with the fads.) A nice part of it is that he has a chapter 3-4 pages typically) dedicated to each micronutrient, what it does, where do we get it from, and what are the appropriate levels we need, often with comments about how specific activities may require more of this or that nutrient than average. These are quite distinct from the RDAs that we normally see published which are typically oriented toward avoiding deficiency disease rather than optimum function. He may have a newer edition (mine is published in 2002) or a follow on title - he doesn't seem to be afraid to change his views as newer validated science comes along. Check Amazon to see what's newer.)

He also has a short booklet on "The Right Protein for Muscle and Strength" that is also useful, and may be a good counterpoint to some of the more promotional sources found in magazines pushing supplements..

Sorry, I don't have any particular online sources, but there are a couple of other guys on here who are more into that who may chime in on this. there is a popular notion that we see that it is impossible to build muscle mass while in the deficit required for weight loss. I don't like like words like "never" and "impossible" but I do find that it is very unlikely to do so - minimizing muscle loss during the loss phase is usually the best that can be hoped for, and then rebuilding. We did have a retired NFL guy in our doc's group who may have done that - if anyone can he would as he already knew on a professional level how to do that kind of workout (he just hated it and was glad he didn't have to do it anymore once he retired - that's why he ballooned to 500 lb and realized it was still part of his job! Got himself down to a 4% BF before letting himself go, and crept up to 6!) He also had the time to dedicate to doing as much work as he needed to, which most of us can't do.

Good luck - it sounds like you are well on your way to good success. It may not be a direct route to where you want to go, but you can get there,

Thanks, I recognize that I'm not necessarily going to add a lot of muscle, I just would like to maxmize my diet planning to keep from losing too much.

And yes, I'm on the road, and I'm sure as with most things it won't necessarily be the destination but the trip that matters.