Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year Post-Op Update

49yr Male, 5/18/20 VSG

HW 382, SW 309, CW 215

First visit to the surgeon was 6/27/19 and first nutritionist visit was 7/3/2019. Had a long pre-op program then was delayed by COVID-19, so wasn't sleeved until 5/18/20. Lost 73 pre-op, 94 since - for a total of 167 lbs down!

I hit 218 in mid Dec 2020 and have been maintaining in the 213-218 range over the past 6 months. I have worked my way up to about 2000 calories/day (200 carb, 78 fat, 125 protein) which seem to be my maintenance diet based on my BMR and activity level. When I get towards 218, I cut it back for a week or two and settle back down to nearer 215. Bonus for me is I have never vomited even once since having the surgery. That makes me a unicorn based on what I read here on BP!

I had an InBody scan at my 1 year post op visit and had gained some muscle and lost fat from my 6 month visit, so that was encouraging. It shows me at ~25% body fat right now, which I can work on.

I tend to walk about 20-30 minutes about 5x/week plus 2-3 20 minute strength training sessions per week. Nothing too extreme on the exercise front. It's all about calorie intake for me. You can't outrun your fork!

We started working back in the office this week and as I emerge from the "COVID cocoon", I'm dealing with lots of comments. So far they are positive, so that is helpful.

We have started going out to eat some, which has taken some adjustments to my meticulous meal planning tendencies (380+ day MFP streak). As long as I can check out the menu in advance and decide what to order, I have done well.

The next challenge is work travel, conferences and family events where junk food is constantly available. I have worked hard over the past nearly 2 years to build good habits and now they will be tested.

Here is a before and after shot for your viewing pleasure. Next step is likely plastics later this year. Going to do a consult this summer and come up with a plan.

That's all for now. If I can do this, you can too. Stick to the plan, build good habits, Proteins first, plenty of Water, move around - you know the drill.

20200704_201425.jpg.591518148448a45ec27c69c6fbf6ebdf.jpg

20210521_091930.jpg

Edited by bhrobins

Congratulations! You look awesome!

Congrats!!

Amazing! Congrats and thank you for the update. It's always helpful to read everyone's stories and progress.

Great job. Keep up the good work

Congratulations! I love reading people's stories. I love this forum! Thank you for posting and sharing with us.

Congratulations. Keep up the good work.