Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, DareMightyThings said:

I am happy to hear that im not alone in the insurance/ diet classes phase! Good job you for trying to reduce carbs and sweets its hard! My nutritionist wants me to lose about 25 - 30 lbs by month 4 so thats why i feel that i have to hurry up and clean up my diet ASAP. Also my insurance says I cant gain any weight which is a little nervewrecking. The only way i know that ill not gain weight and reach that 30lb weightloss is starting my diet full force. Mainly protien, mainly vegetables, and gold carbs like brown rice, oatmeal etc..

I initially thought I had to lose weight for my insurance and I was really freaked out, but it turns out they don't require it; but I'm still going to lose as much as I can now, because then it's just less I have to lose after surgery.

I'm not totally carb-phobic - I often eat steel-cut oatmeal with a banana and unflavored Protein Powder for Breakfast. I'm not a big rice, Pasta, or potato fan, except for risotto and french fries, which I don't eat too often now. I used to make dishes that were low in Protein and higher in carbs, and I've just reversed it, and honestly, it was a lot easier than I expected.

One thing that has helped me is to have veggies (cucumbers, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, etc) washed and chopped ready for snacking in the fridge so I don't eat something higher in calories like cheese or chocolate or chips (I don't have much chips or chocolate in the house, but I have a little bit left). I often eat the veggies plain, but sometimes I get bored with plain veggies and add tzatziki (you could use hummus too!).

Also, I found that adding artificially sweetened drinks like Starburst No Sugar Packets (found at walgreens, Walmart, and dollar stores - basically Crystal LIght) satisfy my sweet tooth. It also helps me when I THINK I'm hungry but I'm really thirsty and I am sick to death of Water.

19 hours ago, DareMightyThings said:

Hey there! So after meeting with the nutritionist for the first time, she gave me tips and recommendations for cleaning up my diet pre surgery. Just to clarify I am not pre op- just pre surgery in the 6 months insurance approval process. My question is....did anyone strictly change their diet right away after the nutritionists suggestions or did it take you a while to clean up your diet before pre op?

Me! Each month I removed a bad habit and added a good habit and built on from there. I had 6 months too. I was up to working out 30 mins a day 5 days a week and eating 1,000 calories by 6 months. I lost 45 pounds pre surgery. I am 2 weeks post op today. I spent 1 night in the hospital, had no complications, and on the pureed diet. NO issues. I was cleared to use my elliptical this week and lift up to 20 pounds, so I am easing back into working out. So far 10 mins a day this week but planning to up it to 15 mins next week.

I seriously credit my life style change pre-surgery with my success so far. Go for it! Take it one day at a time and give yourself grace when you’re not perfect.

5 hours ago, lmsrny5 said:

Me! Each month I removed a bad habit and added a good habit and built on from there. I had 6 months too. I was up to working out 30 mins a day 5 days a week and eating 1,000 calories by 6 months. I lost 45 pounds pre surgery. I am 2 weeks post op today. I spent 1 night in the hospital, had no complications, and on the pureed diet. NO issues. I was cleared to use my elliptical this week and lift up to 20 pounds, so I am easing back into working out. So far 10 mins a day this week but planning to up it to 15 mins next week.

I seriously credit my life style change pre-surgery with my success so far. Go for it! Take it one day at a time and give yourself grace when you’re not perfect.

Wow that is amazing! Yea you definitely set yourself up for success by making those healthy habits a part of your routine before even having surgery. How did you feel doing the liquid diet post op if you dont mind me asking? Was it intimidating?

7 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I weigh all my food. It takes just a few seconds and it really makes a huge difference in your calorie counts. If you're off by one tablespoon (15g) on your Salad Dressing that's 70 calories. An extra oz of cheese is 115 calories. It's adds up so quickly! I also agree with a previous poster about using smaller plates. I have heard though that after surgery we're supposed to be using volume measurements, not weight, because of the size of the stomach. That's going to give me serious anxiety!

How do you measure volume?

7 hours ago, Maisey said:

I thought all the weighing and measuring what a bit "too much" also, blah, blah, blah. What I finally had to come to terms with was that I needed to do something different. Now, having done it for months, it is easier to recognize what a true portion or amount I am eating if I am not at home.

I can't say that I've heard about using volume measurements rather than weight. But Lizonaplane makes a very good point about calorie-dense foods like cheese and sauces. I am a sauce-o-holic. Measuring dressing or any kind of sauce keeps me accountable. It doesn't mean I am totally choosing to not have any, it just means I am not mindlessly bathing my food in it.

I also use a smaller plate and a small salad fork and baby spoons (my old baby spoons have been repurposed at 55 years old). The smaller utensils help me remember to take smaller bites.

This! Yes it does seem like once you get in ths habit of weighing things, you almost already know what a typical portion size is

7 hours ago, SunnyinSC said:

I'm still in pre-surgery phase, waiting to schedule a surgery date at this point. I've been seeing a bariatric therapist for a few months now after initially failing my psyche eval. I have made some choices to start eating better gradually. This hasn't included calorie counting or anything yet. It's just things like choosing not to eat out as often, using smaller plates, or keeping healthier Snacks on hand that I know will still be friendly after surgery. Through therapy I've also been working on cooking more and making sure the meals have a portion of Protein and a good bit of veggies. We're also focusing on addressing the mental desire to overeat, where that stems from, and alternate coping mechanisms. This has all resulted in sort of gradual change that is focusing on improving behaviors, but not in a way that feels like a "diet", and I have lost some weight while doing so. Not nearly as much as I know I'd drop via calorie counting and all, but what I'm doing now feels more sustainable.

Great job! Yea definitely its better to make gradual changes than feel like you are doing a super restricted diet with no wiggle room. Its funny some people do self pay and they can get their surgery in less than 3 months- I wonder if they still have to take nutrition classes or take an eval. Seems they would be in shock with not being able to handle the requirements after surgery. And what was the reason for not passing the evaluation if you dont mind me asking?

6 minutes ago, DareMightyThings said:

Great job! Yea definitely its better to make gradual changes than feel like you are doing a super restricted diet with no wiggle room. Its funny some people do self pay and they can get their surgery in less than 3 months- I wonder if they still have to take nutrition classes or take an eval. Seems they would be in shock with not being able to handle the requirements after surgery. And what was the reason for not passing the evaluation if you dont mind me asking?

I am actually self pay :) The surgeon I chose to go with still requires a psyche eval and labs and all that. I failed mine initially because I was eating really large portions for lunch sometimes and then skipping dinner (we're talking eating until uncomfortably full). The person evaluating thought I may have binge eating disorder of some sort, or at the very least a disordered relationship with food. And I have to agree with her, my relationship with food is definitely not a healthy one. I'm actually pretty thankful for the little pause and sort of being "forced" to go to therapy pre-surgery instead of just post like I was initially planning.

40 minutes ago, DareMightyThings said:

I'm guessing they do because the nutrition classes and the evals are usually required by the surgeon rather than the insurance company.

11 hours ago, DareMightyThings said:

How do you measure volume?

With a measuring cup! Like a quarter cup is 2oz by volume.

I actually started cleaning up on Monday. I went low carb and avoiding sugar. Drinking lots of Water and Powerade zero. I’m technically suppose to start my 2 week pre op diet Tuesday but I’m starting it tomorrow instead. I’m starting early just to get used to it before I head out of town for a few days. Surgery is June 8. Good luck to you!

19 hours ago, DareMightyThings said:

Wow that is amazing! Yea you definitely set yourself up for success by making those healthy habits a part of your routine before even having surgery. How did you feel doing the liquid diet post op if you dont mind me asking? Was it intimidating?

I stuck to Premier Protein. I was able to drink 4-5 ounces every 3 hours to get my Protein goal in during the first week. I made sure to drink Clear Liquids between then so I could meet my Fluid goal. I didn’t have a problem. After the first week I could drink 8 oz of Water every hour and drink an entire premier Protein Shake within 30 mins.

I am on pureed/soft stage now. I get about 3-4 oz of food every 3 hours. I can drink an entire water bottle between my meals now. I am mixing it up and not using the shakes now. I am in a stall now- I haven’t lost any weight in a week and actually gained a pound this morning. It’s water weight but the stall is very annoying!

9 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

With a measuring cup! Like a quarter cup is 2oz by volume.

Ooohh ok my bad i had a brain fart lol

1 hour ago, lmsrny5 said:

I stuck to Premier Protein. I was able to drink 4-5 ounces every 3 hours to get my Protein goal in during the first week. I made sure to drink Clear Liquids between then so I could meet my Fluid goal. I didn’t have a problem. After the first week I could drink 8 oz of Water every hour and drink an entire premier Protein Shake within 30 mins.

I am on pureed/soft stage now. I get about 3-4 oz of food every 3 hours. I can drink an entire water bottle between my meals now. I am mixing it up and not using the shakes now. I am in a stall now- I haven’t lost any weight in a week and actually gained a pound this morning. It’s Water weight but the stall is very annoying!

Wow you are doing really well. Those all seem like appropriate and safe amounts and not too bad either! Yea im sure you probably heard of the 3 week stall that can last a few days to a week maybe it could be that?

When I started my 6 months pre-op with the nutritionist I went all in. 1200 calories a day with 60g Protein minimum. For a while during pre-op I was drinking around a gallon of Water on top of other liquids as well. I lost 20lbs the first month and a total of 60lbs including the 15lbs for the 2 week liquid diet right before surgery. I found it much easier to do a complete overhaul than gradually change things because I wouldn’t have stuck with gradual changes. I wrote everything down in a journal the office gave me and tracked with the SparkPeople app as well. I still use SparkPeople to track most days and I’m 9months post VSG to RNY revision.

I ate everything I wanted up until my preop diet. I'm not recommending to do that, but it worked for me.